Archinect
anchor

New grad living in NY vs LA

ArchKid

Recently graduated with M.Arch. Have about 5 years of professional experience at architectural firms. I want to choose between New York city vs Los Angeles to live and work at. Single person.

Let me hear some of your thoughts about the 2 cities?  

Oct 30, 20 12:00 am
natematt

LA is cheaper and will be warmer for the next 5 months...

Oct 30, 20 2:33 am  · 
 · 
Jay1122

LA over NY any day. Shouldn't you let the job offer lead you if you have such flexibility? These major cities are very competitive both market wise and culturally. I would even go for 2nd tier city if the firm/job is better. Just my 2 cents. Also consider if you have relatives on east or west side. It will help when you need them or even just get together during holidays.

Oct 30, 20 9:28 am  · 
 · 

I've lived in both cities and love them both. Ultimately it will come down to what kind of lifestyle you want.

LA is only slightly cheaper than NYC these days, but in LA you'll have the added expense of owning a car, which will more than eat up any cost of living savings. Be sure to create a realistic budget for each city; you might be surprised which one comes out ahead.

LA has nicer beaches and better tacos, though, so it might be worth it.

Oct 30, 20 1:41 pm  · 
1  · 
ArchKid

Is living in LA without a car a bad idea? If realistically you work close to home?

· 

I guess it depends on where you are, what's within easy walking / biking or transit distance, and what you want to do for fun. It's great if you can commute to/from work without a car, but also keep in mind things like the grocery store, hardware store, the doctor's office, places to eat and drink, etc. And a big part of LA's appeal is being able to get up into the mountains or out to the beach pretty easily. You'll usually need a car for that stuff.

· 
atelier nobody

Our public transit is pathetic. There are a few places where you could live, work, and shop within a smaller area, but plan on an hour+ of multiple trains and busses (or an expensive Uber) if you want to see any of the city outside your little pocket of walkable urbanity.

· 
ArchKid

Yeah thats one of the biggest turn off about LA. Unless I'm making 6 figures, I don't think I can live that comfortable lifestyle. Most firms in NY are located in Manhattan, and living there is another whole story. There are def a lot of pros and cons in both cities.

· 
ArchKid

· 
archi_dude

"Work close to home in LA", HAHAHAHAHAHA!

1  · 
Non Sequitur

curious to see what the change in compensation is between a fresh (online) M.arch grad in toronto to one in NY or LA.

· 
x-jla

stay single whichever city you choose. 

Oct 30, 20 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
ArchKid

noted

· 
atelier nobody

Counterpoint - 2 incomes really help in higher cost-of-living cities, but DON'T have kids.

2  · 
Non Sequitur

wait 5 days and see if it's still a place you want to move to.

Oct 30, 20 2:29 pm  · 
1  · 
archi_dude

*which one is still standing

· 
atelier nobody

I honestly wouldn't recommend either. I've lived most of my life in the LA area, but unless one is already connected with family, social circles, etc. it can be a harsh experience. If I were starting out fresh, I'd aim for "2nd tier" cities - Seattle, Portland, Minneapolis, etc. Cost of living is lower, stress is lower, and you'll generally find just as much "culture" as you would in LA, San Francisco, Chicago (probably somewhat less than NYC, though). My one sojourn outside LA was in Minneapolis for about 5 years, and I loved it (winters can be a bit much for some people though). I've also spent significant time visiting Seattle, and would move there in a heartbeat if I had a good job offer (or, better yet, Vancouver, BC).

Oct 30, 20 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
flatroof

Chicago is cheaper to live in than Seattle and Portland these days. Minneapolis seems to have the same rent prices as Chicago now. Philly is good if you want to live on the East Coast and still be 90 min to NYC.

1  · 
whistler

Not Vancouver ..... don't go I hear it sucks!

· 
atelier nobody

I'm totally ready to Californicate Vancouver at the first opportunity.

· 
whistler

Wednesday???

· 
ArchKid

Vancouver is the closest thing to LA vibe Canada has

· 
Non Sequitur

LA =\= Vancouver. Not even close.

· 
whistler

Don't tell all those folks in Kitsilano, they think they're living in Venice Beach!

· 
ArchKid

haha I actually visited vancouver couple months ago. I can tell why they think its venice.

· 
atelier nobody

"Vancouver is the closest thing to LA vibe Canada has"

Gawd, I hope not - Vancouverites have my deepest sympathy if that's true.

1  · 
ArchKid

nothing wrong with that. Vancouver has the warmest (mildest) average weather in all of Canada. Even that, compared to LA, its still pretty cold. It doesn't have the nightlife of LA either. But just in terms of mountains, beach, views. Thats how Im comparing it to LA

· 
sp429

I agree w David. Depends on what lifestyle you're looking for. I'm in NYC and I moved here from the SF Bay Area. When I get older I may consider moving back, probably to the East Bay. I'm a single woman in early 30s... still prefer NYC. 

Oct 30, 20 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
The_Crow

Currently with the pandemic you're still paying the cost to live in NY without all of the world class things to do that make it worth it. Now that the cold weather is here, there really isn't anything to do...

Oct 30, 20 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
sp429

I still do the things I enjoyed doing. I love the diversity here. There is something unique about this city which I have not felt anywhere else. I have a simple lifestyle. I work hard and enjoy training thai boxing. My gym is now open, w all the safety precautions in place. Staying safe, working hard, training hard :)  

Oct 30, 20 10:13 pm  · 
 · 
Dank Gehry

which state elected a body builder as governor?

Oct 30, 20 10:39 pm  · 
 · 
archinine
Yep nyc is terrible. Definitely go somewhere else. Nothing to see here
Nov 1, 20 5:13 pm  · 
2  · 
randomised

it’s funny always those discussions about LA vs NY, there’s literally an entire country in between that’s being ignored, kind of explains the state your country is in...that said, NY no doubt.

Nov 2, 20 2:04 am  · 
 · 
justavisual

LA no doubt, but dont pretend you can do it without a car.

Nov 2, 20 5:20 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

• ×Search in: