Archinect
anchor

Mask Police

BulgarBlogger

Dear Mask Police (random concerned citizens in NYC coming up to strangers and demanding they wear face masks):

Please pay attention to the conjunctions “AND” and “OR” in the below highlighted text. These conjunctions separate the conditions that must be met either together (and) or separately “or”. So when one is not wearing a face mask it is probably because they think they can (or have been) social distancing...

You are not the police, so shut your pie holes and keep walking...

Sep 12, 20 6:52 pm
Non Sequitur

so, how’s the whole war against corona going down there these days? 

Sep 12, 20 7:27 pm  · 
4  · 
citizen

^ See above.

Sep 12, 20 7:41 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

One person's "leave me alone" is another person's "I get to say what I want in public."

Sep 12, 20 8:48 pm  · 
 · 
bklyntotfc

The problem is that person X (me) is walking down the street w/ no one on the sidewalk near them, so they pull their mask down.  But then a family comes around the corner.  Or someone's grandma comes out of the coffee place as I'm walking by the entry.  Or I just forget for a minute that my mask isn't on when the sidewalk becomes more crowded.  There are just too many instances where "I'm social distancing" goes out the window.  Luckily, my mom raised me not be be an a-hole, so I quickly just started leaving my mask on.  It seems like literally the least I can do.

Sep 13, 20 10:38 am  · 
4  · 
BulgarBlogger

Yeah- but, you are not a law-enforcement officer or a judge.

Sep 13, 20 11:00 am  · 
awaiting_deletion

yes, the cops in NYC are pretty much over it from what I can tell. The homeless take it even up a level, they start shouting and spitting if you don't walk around the correct way. I've been wearing my mask 24/7 when out and I always let the home owner dictate the mask wearing. I tell them it's for their protection. Some care, some don't. But its not hard to keep the mask on all the time.

Sep 13, 20 11:30 am  · 
 · 
randomised

That’s why people need to keep a safe distance! Can’t force people to wear a mask apparently, although you can, but you can keep a safe distance from people, especially from people you see not wearing their mask!

Sep 13, 20 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

It is quite ironic if people get in your face for not wearing a mask, don’t they know that’s how they can get COVID?

Sep 13, 20 11:50 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

You mean, it’s not caught from a toilet seat?

Sep 13, 20 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Also! There’s plenty of shedding in shit.

Sep 13, 20 5:09 pm  · 
 · 

Yeah, this isn't tough. If there's a chance you'll be within 6 feet, wear a mask. I don't always have one when I'm out on walks with my dog, but I also don't live in NYC. It's really easy for me to cross or just move into the street to avoid getting within 6 feet. If someone took issue with that, I'd say "sorry" and put on the mask that I carry with me. Not that hard to be a member of a respectful society.

Sep 13, 20 2:41 pm  · 
3  · 
Koww

this is best time to just punch someone in the face with no consequences. cops don't give a shit because the public has turned against them.

Sep 13, 20 7:54 pm  · 
3  ·  1
awaiting_deletion

pretty much already happening, btw...

Sep 15, 20 9:30 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

I wonder how ventriloquists feel about this mask business...

Sep 13, 20 8:07 pm  · 
 · 
proto

not easy to distance in nyc, manhattan anyway

I hope the urbanite archinecters are staying safe

Sep 13, 20 10:16 pm  · 
1  · 
BulgarBlogger

I guess you are judge and jury on the street. Then again, so are liberals.

Sep 13, 20 11:22 pm  · 
1  ·  2
b3tadine[sutures]

Um, yeah, and cuckservatives are just put upon innocents. Gtfoh.

Sep 13, 20 11:51 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

It is very easy to distance in supposedly busy areas...stay inside! Also, people managed for decades to avoid homeless people on the streets like they carried the plague, this isn’t very different. And another thing, people say Manhattan is deserted, offices empty, people fleeing to the burbs, not that busy perhaps as people want to believe. Just wear a mask, what do you lose by wearing one and what do you gain by not wearing one?

Sep 14, 20 2:05 am  · 
2  · 
archinine
If you think not wearing a mask is bad, look up ‘plume’ from an uncovered toilet flush
Sep 13, 20 10:54 pm  · 
1  · 
architorture

Cops in NY are going to start handing out $50 fines to anyone not wearing a mask on the subway. It was said that tickets and fines are being handed out b/c not enough ppl are abiding by the requirement of wearing them (or wearing them properly) and the MTA wants to make riders feel safe.

All i have to say about that is --- ITS ABOUT TIME.... 

If they are willing to hand out tickets in the park (they did this at the beginning of the pandemic) then they should definitely do it for the subway where it's actually enclosed.

Sep 14, 20 8:22 am  · 
1  · 
Leon_ordaz03
...*crickets*
Sep 15, 20 6:52 am  · 
1  · 

Some folks, they come in all types of political stripes, love to tell others they are doing things wrong and they like to assert their views on others. This is true of mask wearing or religion or other things people feel righteous about and believe others should do for the greater good (think mask wearing, not parking in front of fire hydrants, picking up your pet's poo or littering.  It must get annoying dealing with the mask evangelist but they are probably doing it as a means of regaining some control over their now deeply disrupted lives.

Over and OUT

Peter N

Sep 17, 20 7:33 pm  · 
1  ·  1
b3tadine[sutures]

Yeah, that's it, we're selfishly worrying about the wrong things....

Sep 17, 20 8:27 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Peter, it’s your or other people’s refusal to wear a mask and consider other people by clinging on to their so-called freedom that has this pandemic continue, drag on and make unnecessary victims...traffic lights are also so annoying by asserting their will on people forcing them to hit the brakes at times, how dare those freedom-hating lights, so unAmerican (or however you’d call it) if people want to smash their cars into upcoming traffic it is their god-given right(!)

Sep 18, 20 2:15 am  · 
2  · 
awaiting_deletion

somehow masks have now obtain hat status in the US. IT'S FUCKING APPAREL, GET OVER IT AND ACCORDINGLY IF YOU GET OVER IT, WEAR IT. replace hat with mask... (point of bit, its nonsense to make it political, religious, anything but fucking wearing a mask.)

Sep 18, 20 6:04 am  · 
2  · 
awaiting_deletion

and if you're not following my logic. if the science isn't clear yet, as science evolves and is not a set of ideologies (make believe shit), but science based on past science suggests wearing a masks helps prevent the spread, then if you're not a jihady fundamentalist who is open to evolving science and science of the past you will abandon your religious and political ideologies for something that will eventually be proven or not by people who prove shit - scientists.

Sep 18, 20 6:13 am  · 
1  · 

randomised, I do wear a mask when out and about when it is appropriate and necessary to do so. I don't get too bothered by the mask police because I have more important things to worry about. The problem we have is mask wearing is political and tied up in virtue signalling where stoplights and other things are not. Policing the mask wearing is not convincing people to wear mask, it is unfortunately having the opposite effect. We might actually get more compliance with a low key less confrontational means of asking then going from zero to 11 every time someone has their nose and or mouth uncovered. It is the thing about the flies and their preference for honey over vinegar, but during a pandemic I can't imagine why anyone would want to be intentionally attracting flies.

Sep 19, 20 11:07 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Stop the silliness would for a fucking minute? People, notably scientists, have politely asked, political figures have politely asked, regular fucking people have asked. I'm tired of asking, I'm tired of hoping the couple that stood two feet behind me, while waiting for coffee would get a fucking clue. So, pardon me if I stop kindly giving a shit about your feelings. Oh, the stop lights since you've decided are not political, in my town they've become suggestions, not requirements, because people stopped caring, because ARREST BREONNA TAYLOR'S MURDERERS.

Sep 19, 20 11:14 am  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Sep 19, 20 11:14 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Traffic lights are not political? M’erica is all like: hold my beer bro, gimme a minute.

Sep 19, 20 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Peter, mask wearing is only political because politicians make the laws, but it is the scientists that provide the back-up, the evidence that states that wearing masks limits the risk of spreading COVID. That doesn’t make it political, it is simple and basic science. They should police not wearing masks even stricter, it is about everybody’s public health...and has nothing to do with politics. So far haven’t heard any mask wearing law abiding citizens regret wearing the mask if they somehow did catch COVID, but there are plenty of anti-maskers out there that caught the rona and regretted not wearing a mask and being a stupid moron for spreading it to their loved ones when on their deathbeds ... But whatever, yes it is annoying when other people tell you to wear a mask when you and your civil liberties refuse to, but it is more annoying to be spreading Corona without such a simple gesture as a mask, like some fucktard asshole.

Sep 19, 20 3:24 pm  · 
1  · 
x-jla

You know what was annoying, having to go overseas and fight the Nazis, but our grandparents did it. Wearing a mask is a small inconvenience, and social distancing is kinda nice.

Sep 19, 20 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

*They invaded and occupied Western Europe before the Communists would ;-)

Sep 20, 20 3:27 pm  · 
 · 

Wear a mask please if you're indoors and can't stay 6' away.  If you don't I'll ask you kindly to put one on.  If you don't then I'll stay away from you.  If you don't stay away from me I will make you stay away.  

It's not hard people.  Geesh. 

Sep 21, 20 11:58 am  · 
3  · 

Relevant and Newsworthy:

CDC reverses itself and says guidelines it posted on coronavirus airborne transmission were wrong (Washington Post)

Sep 21, 20 1:13 pm  · 
1  · 

That's good to hear. Yeah science! Wait, are we sure Trumps NHS just didn't dick with the CDC's website again like how they did with testing guidelines?

Sep 21, 20 1:36 pm  · 
1  · 

That's the newsworthy part. CDC acknowledged airborne spread on the website over the weekend, then took it down this morning saying, 'oops, it was a website error, nothing to see here.

So yay science, but also ... WTF are we taking it down for? Is someone trying to "downplay" it until the election?

Sep 21, 20 1:40 pm  · 
2  · 
SneakyPete

Republicans have been trying to shake faith in governmental agencies for my entire life, it's part of their anarchist goal: to destroy the government so they can claim it's never worked.

Sep 21, 20 2:22 pm  · 
1  · 
Zavala
gibbost

Generalized, broad-stroke statements are not terribly helpful. By that, I mean that people should be listening to the medical experts IN THEIR COMMUNITY. For instance, the primary hospital system in my town just released a statement last week indicating that our town is at a tipping point--93% occupancy at all ICU beds and two weeks of double-digit increases in cases. When they tell me to 'mask-up' because it will help our community better manage this, I tend to take their word over another doctor on the other side of the planet.

Oct 12, 20 11:07 am  · 
 · 
archinet

wait a relative sent me the same link a few months back....I took a quick look at it and realized that it references itself half the time!! On top of that some of the references are being taken out of context

Oct 12, 20 11:20 am  · 
1  · 
archinet

...also that website is super opaque of who authored it- I really would not trust it- if the author(s) are so sure there information is correct why not come out and name themselves??

Oct 12, 20 11:22 am  · 
 · 

Zavala - those links are bullshit - it's not accurate or reputable.

Oct 12, 20 1:01 pm  · 
1  · 
Archinect

^ those links are from "Swiss Policy Research"

The website of Swiss Policy Research, an anonymous, pseudoscientific research group that claims to be exposing pro-NATO propaganda. The site has published false claims, including about COVID-19.

https://www.newsguardtech.com/...

Oct 12, 20 6:55 pm  · 
3  · 
x-jla

The source may be BS, but some of the info is true.

Oct 12, 20 8:32 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

0.1% - 0.5% ifr is true. Risk of death being lower than flu for teenagers and children is true. Etc... masks being ineffective is bs. Masks are obviously partly effective

Oct 12, 20 8:34 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

are you a flat-earther too?

Oct 12, 20 8:43 pm  · 
1  · 
x-jla

No. Are you a science denier?

Oct 12, 20 8:54 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

never change, x-lax.

Oct 12, 20 10:08 pm  · 
1  · 
OneLostArchitect

anytime I run into the mask police I show them this card

Oct 12, 20 1:22 pm  · 

More pure bullshit. . . .

Oct 12, 20 1:24 pm  · 
5  · 
SneakyPete

Might as well tattoo STUPID on your forehead.

Oct 12, 20 6:16 pm  · 
1  · 
jeiffert

So how is that working for you, OLA? Is it OK with you to commit fraud? (I especially liked the reference to the "Civial Rights Act".

Oct 12, 20 6:23 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

Apparently no one can take a joke these days...

Oct 12, 20 6:49 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

Apparently jokes don't need to be funny these days...

Oct 12, 20 7:16 pm  · 
1  · 
OneLostArchitect

Another Biden supporter

Oct 12, 20 8:22 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Get called out on your stupidity? Say it was a joke. Get called out on your lie? Call them a... Biden supporter? I hope you're better at building design.

Oct 12, 20 10:07 pm  · 
2  · 
randomised

It is funny that people are so stupid that they make such a card and think they don’t have to wear a mask...now if that would only affect those stupid people Darwin might have a difficult choice this year choosing a winner for his award...but unfortunately those morons will spread it outside their cropcircle.

Oct 13, 20 2:05 am  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

Not gonna argue with you SneakyPete... as you always have a raging hard on for me, for whatever reason that may be...

Oct 13, 20 6:37 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Must be that pretty mouth that says so many dumb words.

Oct 13, 20 11:43 am  · 
2  · 
zonker

here in Berkeley, Ca. we have mask police that tell people with out masks to put on a mask. Also, in Tulare, Ca., at a gas station, I was told to take off my mask.

Oct 13, 20 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

In both cases, ignoring the speaker is a valid response.

Oct 13, 20 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
Leon_ordaz03
“So...how ‘bout them cowboys?!”
Oct 13, 20 2:26 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: