Archinect
anchor

HELP - Job Search - Is there something wrong with my application?

BiancaA

Hello!

I have been looking for a job in London as a Part 1 Architectural Assistant for almost a year now. I've got a few interviews but not a single offer. I've been constantly improving my portfolio and CV, but now I'm at the point where I have no idea what is wrong with them. If this is strictly related to my designs and skills, or there is something else.

The sample portfolio contains some examples of my work, just for them to get an idea. For the interview, I have a much larger and detailed one. 

You can find the sample portfolio and CV here:

https://issuu.com/turnea.bianc... 

Any feedback and advice would be extremely appreciated. Please, don't hesitate to be frank.

Thank you in advance!

Bianca

Sep 1, 20 5:50 am
Jay1122

Although i am not in Europe, i just wanna say It is definitely the market. Weird that you cannot land one pre-pandemic. After pandemic it is absolutely normal. There are people with multi yrs experience gunning for your entry level job while most firms lay off instead of hire. The portfolio is fine, better than a lot of people i saw out of school. It will only get harder as employers see you having a big gap. Most people gave up and quit the field.You could still ride it out and blame it on the pandemic. I guess this is the best example why design firms can afford to be exploitative. My advice? U.S. is better.

Sep 1, 20 8:56 am  · 
 · 
BiancaA

Hi Jay, Thank you for your feedback! Before the pandemic, my CV and portfolio weren't that good, so probably that's why I haven't got anything, and now you are right, it is way more difficult to get a job post-pandemic. Now, I am looking to continue into my Masters, and hopefully, until I graduate, the economy will recover somehow. However, I think it will take longer than that for some design firms to stop being exploitative. I will keep in mind what you said about the U.S. Who knows, maybe I will get there someday.

Sep 14, 20 6:38 am  · 
 · 
TED

Pre-COVID, difficult to see where you went wrong - but since March the market has dried up for new staff. 

You might consider returning to do your Part II straight away rather than sit idle waiting for the call - certain Kent will take you back - 

Getting a job even a Part I job is about developing networks while you're in school - use your projects to connect with architects you want to work for and contact them for input and advice - 

Hard time for all Part I grads so good luck!

Sep 2, 20 3:40 am  · 
 · 
BiancaA

Hi TED,

Sep 14, 20 5:52 am  · 
 · 
BiancaA

Thank you so much for your message. 

I took your advice and applied to two universities for my Masters. I didn't want to go too far away from London and wanted a change from Kent, so I applied to Oxford Brookes and the University of Westminster. I already got an unconditional offer from the later, and they gave me just a couple of days to accept it. Between these two, my first choice is Oxford Brookes because I heard is way better than Westminster in terms of staff, facilities, and overall organization. 

Right now I am not sure what to do. Should I wait to hear from Oxford Brookes as well or just not take any risks and go for Westminster? I would love to hear what you think. 

Thank you!

Sep 14, 20 6:12 am  · 
 · 
TED

Plus for Westminster is that you will have more job opportunities in London than in Oxford - If you want Oxford - ring them today and ask what the hold up is - or write the course administrator on the website - since most classes will be online, you most likely could live in London if you wish

Sep 14, 20 6:32 am  · 
 · 
BiancaA

I did that now. I am waiting for their response. Meanwhile, regarding the quality of the course, which one do you know is better in terms of staff engagement, facilities, and organization? I have read a lot of complaints about the University of Westminster in the last few days, so I am a bit afraid of going there now. I thought about the job opportunities I have as well, but I do want the course to be a good one too. Thanks.

Sep 14, 20 7:17 am  · 
 · 
TED

Most (95%) of Brookes staff do not live in Oxford - most commute from London so with COVID less likely to have staff engagement except for online. Westminster digital/making facilities are much better than Brookes. Brookes workshop shared between 600 students and only allows 15 at one time. Going to Uni in London gives you the opportunity to connect with other Uni/RIBA lectures events when they go back to face to face. Have a look at both end of year student work and make the judgement yourself where you think your personal skill would evolve.

Sep 14, 20 8:08 am  · 
 · 
BiancaA

Hi. Thank you so much. Your advice helped me a lot. I am quite happy with my decision now.

Sep 15, 20 8:30 am  · 
1  · 
randomised

Depends where you apply maybe.

Sep 3, 20 4:31 am  · 
 · 
apscoradiales

It's not you.

It's a combination of factors - slow-down in construction, the virus. GB pulling out of EU and it's future being less certain, too many people applying for the same job as you who may have better qualifications than you or are willing to work for less money, and many other factors.

Back in 1998 I was in the same position - economy crashed, I lost my job, went back to school to improve my knowledge and skills, graduated, went to look for a job and nothing again.

Finally, left Canada to work in Abu Dhabi for a while, then to Cayman Islands, and after a while back to Canada.

Try looking for a job in another country; Middle East, EU, USA...

If you can afford it, go back to school.

Sep 16, 20 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
apscoradiales

Architectural jobs - it's a feast-or-famine;  every 5-7 years we have a crash, then in a year or two when things pick-up, there is not enough people to do the job.

It's been that way since Noah's time.

Sep 16, 20 2:47 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: