Archinect
anchor

Thumbs UP/DOWN Results

Non Sequitur

Below is a table showing the break-down of thumbs up and down my comments have received for the entire month of May.  In total, I received an even 200(!) thumbs.  172 from happy customers and 28 from disgruntled wankers.  

A few conclusions:

1. There are far fewer thumbs down than I expected, so that's good
  2. Very few users offered me both thumbs up & down
  3. A few active users offered no thumbs... what gives?
  4. B3ta wins with 17 thumbs up
  5. My attempt at explaining my code req to a fellow OAA member should have generated more thumbs up. 

Jun 1, 20 7:11 am
drums please, Fab?

i thumbed up at you more than i thumbed down

AM I DIS GRUNTLED WANKER?!?

Jun 1, 20 11:15 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

you're an exception.

Jun 1, 20 11:50 am  · 
3  · 
citizen

Fully gruntled here, but it looks like I've been lazy.  I promise to supply additional erect digits... anywhere in particular?  ;O]

Jun 1, 20 12:19 pm  · 
3  · 

You need to combine "drums please, Fab?" and "we're in this together"

Jun 1, 20 4:21 pm  · 
3  · 
Non Sequitur

Eugh... I'll edit tomorrow. I can't follow everyone's multiple personalities. Keeping track of Chris' is enough by itself. 8-)

Jun 1, 20 4:39 pm  · 
4  · 
drums please, Fab?

a hearty THUMBS UP to the both of you!  we are no longer in this together, thank you very much!

Jun 1, 20 4:43 pm  · 
 · 

I'm pretty bad at keeping names straight. I've had to start keeping notes. We should just start a "who's who" thread to keep track of people who change their screen name.

Jun 1, 20 4:48 pm  · 
2  · 

Or make everyone have their real name in their profile.

Jun 1, 20 5:21 pm  · 
2  · 
drums please, Fab?

oh hi donna

Jun 1, 20 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

My alter ego is Lance Manyon, fyi.

Jun 1, 20 6:04 pm  · 
2  · 

Chad, skip to 1:11:30 and listen

Jun 1, 20 7:36 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

Can't thumb down or up a thread/first post :-(

Jun 1, 20 5:20 pm  · 
4  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I love you man.

Jun 1, 20 8:17 pm  · 
3  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

to be honest, it's all in an effort to have you as a reference later this year, when i make the move to BC

Jun 1, 20 8:18 pm  · 
3  · 
Non Sequitur

BC is a tad too far from Ontario... but sure man. Cheers.

Jun 1, 20 8:52 pm  · 
3  · 
SneakyPete

We were looking North, but haven't considered that far North.

Jun 2, 20 12:37 pm  · 
1  · 

I must of been drinking, giving you a thumbs down.

Can we buy likes and gold coins or whatever as well?  My self value hinges on the thumbs, but if I could pay for it...

Jun 1, 20 8:42 pm  · 
3  · 
Non Sequitur

I'll take payment in good NE craft beer.

Jun 1, 20 8:51 pm  · 
2  · 
anadybella

Thumbs Up

Jun 3, 20 2:04 am  · 
1  · 

NS, you still tracking these numbers? I've been playing with the data a little more and expanding from just a simple up or down vote. Also trying to capture the date and time (based on when the email notification is sent) as well as thread and comment. Has meant I've had to go back and capture and reenter some of the data.

Not sure what I'll do with it all, but so far it's been interesting to see some patterns emerge. For example, apparently b3ta likes to thumb up/down in the evenings whereas SneakyPete does most during the middle of the day. 

I love playing with pivot tables.

Jul 24, 20 8:57 pm  · 
4  · 
Non Sequitur

Fascinating. I’m still filtering out and storing notifications but I have not found the time yet to compile June and July’s results.

Jul 24, 20 9:45 pm  · 
3  · 
liberty bell

You guys are funny. I can be a data nerd sometimes so I love that you are doing this!

Jul 25, 20 5:10 am  · 
3  · 

Buckle up!

Graph of thumbs up and thumbs down I've received from the start of feature in May 2020 through end of July 2020. Not sure if I've combined all the appropriate user names, so if you see any that should or shouldn't be combined ... let me know.

Building from that, I was curious when people are online and reacting to my posts. So I pulled apart the data based on day of the week, and time of day. Highlighting is per row so the greener a number is for that user, the more that user has reacted to my comments on that day of the week or time of day. 

Two notes on the days and times: 

1. I've adjusted the date and time to match the way dates and times are indicated on the site (i.e. Eastern Time Zone).
  2. It appears that the site only sends out reaction notifications every two hours and since I can only pull the time from the email I receive notifying me of new reactions, I can only pinpoint a particular reaction to a 2-hour window preceding the time indicated in the chart. 

This means that someone like Nam Henderson in the Mountain Time Zone (Colorado, right?) might be thumbs upping a comment at 10:30 pm on Friday his local time, but it would be reflected in the chart at 2 am on Saturday in the Eastern Time Zone. 10:30 pm Friday in Mountain Time = 12:30 am Saturday in Eastern Time for which I get sent the notification at 2 am Saturday in Eastern Time ... which I see as 11 pm Pacific on Friday in my local time.

I think the time of day chart is more interesting than the day of the week on a per user basis, though it is interesting overall to see that weekdays are busier than weekends. Keep in mind that both charts can be influenced (or skewed perhaps) by how often and when I'm posting ... so don't read too much into either. Even then, I think they start to represent personal patterns of when a user is on the site and interacting with comments. A larger data set based on all reactions to all comments, not just my comments and users' reactions to them, would be more indicative of these types of trends.

Aside from that, you can see that Non Sequitur and SneakyPete are tied for the most reactions at 43 each. Third is Nam Henderson with 42 followed closely by b3tadine[sutures] with 41 reactions. Then Donna Sink with 32, and tduds with 29 are the next closest but still needing to pick up their game if they want to get on the podium. Total thumbs up are 463. Total thumbs down are 10.

Honorable mention and a big thumbs up goes to Paul Petrunia for being the first to react to one of my comments, which resulted in the best email I think I've ever received from the site:

Aug 2, 20 6:34 pm  · 
3  ·  1
Non Sequitur

This is very good work. I’ll try to do better (or worse) with my thumbs next season.

Aug 2, 20 7:09 pm  · 
2  · 

Looks like I need to do better at putting a white background on the charts by time and day of week. They look fine on the site with a white background, but if you click on them to blow them up, they're not legible. Difference between making an image from an excel chart vs pivot tables. Maybe I can figure something out and post them again later tonight or tomorrow.

Aug 2, 20 7:23 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Had to get to my desktop to post an appropriate reaction gif to the first comment.

Aug 2, 20 7:29 pm  · 
3  · 
liberty bell

I do my most thumbing during my mid-morning and mid-afternoon work breaks, it seems. At lunch I read celebrity gossip.

Aug 2, 20 9:15 pm  · 
2  · 
citizen

Ironically thumbs-downing your thorough and interesting post, EA. I thought your graph could use a tad more color  ;O]

Aug 2, 20 9:35 pm  · 
3  · 
Non Sequitur

Another interesting stat: not a single thumbs up or down by our own forum savant, Jawknee.

Aug 2, 20 9:50 pm  · 
1  · 
citizen

I hear that, tragically, he was born without digital thumbs.

Aug 2, 20 9:58 pm  · 
3  · 

Donna, you are evenly split between thumbing under DS and LB. LB is more concentrated to the mid morning and late evening.

Aug 2, 20 10:44 pm  · 
1  · 

Here are the charts with a white fill instead of no fill. Now you can click on them and show an enlarged image.

Aug 2, 20 11:56 pm  · 
1  · 

nice work. I need you to fudge my data, who do I pay?

Aug 3, 20 7:36 am  · 
1  · 
randomised

I prefer the visual style of Non’s graph but still a great excuse not to spend time with the family! Well done!

Aug 3, 20 8:48 am  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

I’ve compiled all but the last 2 weeks of July. Will post an update tonight.

Aug 3, 20 8:55 am  · 
2  · 

If I learned 1 thing from architecture school, it is that no matter how much time and effort you put into visualizing something ... there will always be people who think you could have done it better. No worries though, because I also learned from architecture school that it rarely mattered and that if you weren't getting paid to do the work, don't spend a lot of time on it. Maybe now that I have the process down for collecting the data, and the backlog of data already input I can spend more on the graphics for next time.

Aug 3, 20 10:57 am  · 
3  · 
randomised

Was just nitpicking ;) they were right in school!

Aug 3, 20 12:02 pm  · 
1  · 

Another thing I learned in school was to never use something straight out of the software (like railings) without customizing it. So the fact that these are basically standard options for excel charts and conditional formatting means I was expecting the criticism.

Aug 3, 20 12:32 pm  · 
1  · 
citizen

Where does one find this data about themselves?  Asking for a fiend...

Aug 3, 20 12:44 pm  · 
1  · 

Unless you've turned the notifications off, you can find who likes and dislikes your comments in your email. I set up a filter for my inbox to group and put in one folder all the "[user(s)] has/have reacted to you on Archinect" emails together. Then I go through and copy and paste the information I want into an excel spreadsheet and go from there. It was a little bit of some effort to get the backlog taken care of, but it's not too bad to go back and grab a week or two worth of reactions and add them into the spreadsheet.

Aug 3, 20 12:56 pm  · 
3  · 
citizen

Ah, so it's counting all those email notifications, then. No aggregation by the website? This is an outrage!

Oh, and the fiend says 'thanks.'   >o/

Aug 3, 20 1:07 pm  · 
3  · 

Yeah, it is a little disappointing (understandable though from archinect's perspective). I was even trying to use a script or something to automate the process a little bit more, but I couldn't figure out how to parse the information from the email well enough (especially where one email might contain multiple likes and dislikes by multiple people on multiple comments). It would be cool if there was a dashboard where you could see all the likes and dislikes you've received, as well as all the likes and dislikes you've given out and play around with the data to sort by date, time, thread, comment, etc.

Aug 3, 20 1:16 pm  · 
1  · 
rcz1001

Sounds like somebody needs a job or a life. Nonetheless, the graphs and chart listing is nice. What I like about N.S.'s listing is that it shows both thumbs up and down data in the graph format. E_A's graph is nice, too. The only thing I can only critique is that it is unclear in how it shows Thumbs up and thumbs down. It might just be thumbs up. Great effort by both of them.

Aug 3, 20 1:29 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

^ I have both a job (career actually) and a life... so the hour or so to compile the emails is not too demanding. Data is fun.

Aug 3, 20 1:33 pm  · 
3  · 

That is hilarious coming from someone who by most people's metric has neither a job, nor a life ... but I digress. The green and yellow charts are simply showing reactions (up and down combined). The intent wasn't to differentiate between up and down but rather to visualize other information. 

The first graph is showing up and down reactions. It's a stacked bar graph so the red and blue lines are added together on one line. That way it can both represent total reactions while still showing how many up and how many down. I have very few down reactions (10 across 6 users with no one user having more than 2) so I didn't think it worthy to try to represent them that separately as it would tend to get dwarfed by the up reactions.

Aug 3, 20 1:50 pm  · 
2  · 

P.s. I like NS's graph too ... I just went a different direction

Aug 3, 20 1:52 pm  · 
2  · 
rcz1001

I was just poking at ya two in jest. However, it is still good work that you and N.S. did with the graph and spreadsheet. I think having a color code or something will help in understanding the colors.

Aug 3, 20 10:39 pm  · 
1  · 

There is literally a color coded legend describing what you said you had trouble understanding.

Aug 3, 20 11:21 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Alright, back by popular demand, here is the record of thumbs up and down I've received since the start of the function.

click to bigify

A few points, Beta would take the win (again) at 37 thumbs up BUT since he thumbs downed my hockey is back comment... he has to settle for 2nd place behind Nam at 36.  Also important, Nam wins the most thumbs up in a single sitting at 12!  

Just like my May findings, few offer both thumbs up and down with several users apparently alive for the sole purpose of giving away down votes.  The few exceptions include Ghwarton and square where the down votes came out of useful comment exchanges.

p.s. I'm not doing time of day/week stats.

Aug 3, 20 3:04 pm  · 
2  · 
SneakyPete

lazy.

Aug 3, 20 3:05 pm  · 
3  ·  1
Non Sequitur

^downvote your own comment pete?

Aug 3, 20 3:07 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

I am an agent of chaos.

Aug 3, 20 3:11 pm  · 
1  · 

I need another bigify button

Aug 3, 20 3:28 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Can’t seem to get the image to zoom. Will fix later.

Aug 3, 20 3:29 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

The red part of the graph somehow feels more balanced and am still missing the ratio of ‘length of username’ divided by amount of comments during a full moon...maybe next time

Aug 3, 20 3:59 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

Can we get an option where it's symmetrically arranged around the middle axis?

Aug 3, 20 4:21 pm  · 
1  · 
citizen

Ah, so that's why you're Sneaky Pete!Agoracom: Small Cap Investment - Crystallex International - Re ...

Aug 3, 20 11:23 pm  · 
2  · 
poop876

What's up with caring how many thumbs up or down people get? Just curious! It's almost seeing posts on facebook bitching about how many like people get or questioning why people don't like their posts!

Aug 3, 20 3:34 pm  · 
3  ·  2
randomised

Like!

Aug 3, 20 3:49 pm  · 
1  · 

Welcome, and thank you for playing

Aug 3, 20 4:21 pm  · 
2  · 
SneakyPete

life is a popularity contest. prove me wrong.

Aug 3, 20 4:26 pm  · 
2  · 

I would, but my proof isn't popular enough to change anyone's mind.

Aug 3, 20 4:55 pm  · 
3  · 

BTW, if you have people on your Facebook feed complaining about how many likes they get or wondering why people don't like their posts ... it's probably time to get some new Facebook friends, or just give up the platform altogether.

Aug 3, 20 4:58 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

I fully endorse the latter, been facebook and instagram free for a couple of years and don't miss it. if only I could convince my friends that whatsapp is garbage worth burning...

Aug 3, 20 5:26 pm  · 
3  · 
poop876

It's either some very young or some really fucking old folks that feed on that shit!

Aug 3, 20 8:52 pm  · 
1  · 
poop876

And still no answer to my question! And I don't really care about getting 'new' friends for the sake of their posts or them bitching about their likes.

Aug 3, 20 8:54 pm  · 
1  · 

a thumbs up or a thumbs down is a lot easier then expressing your opinion in words.

Aug 3, 20 9:16 pm  · 
3  · 
Non Sequitur

Data is fun. That’s why.

Aug 3, 20 9:38 pm  · 
1  · 

To answer your question: I don’t care how many thumbs up or thumbs down I get. I care about how many everybody gives, and when they give them. I find it interesting to analyze behavioral patterns and make assumptions about what those patterns mean. Same way I would find it interesting to look at traffic patterns in grass or snow across a lawn or snow covered field and make assumptions about why those patterns emerged and whether there should be a walk put in those locations. Same reason I find it interesting to see which checkout lines are the longest in a busy store ... and other things like that.

Aug 3, 20 11:32 pm  · 
3  · 
poop876

EA, okay fair answer! Thank you. I just assumed it's about being obsessed about getting likes etc.

Aug 4, 20 9:13 am  · 
2  · 

Yeah, I don't care about the likes. It's not a competition ... at least from where I sit. It's all about figuring out what makes you all tick. 

Which makes me wonder about the recent post-occupancy evaluation article and my hot take comment. I see value in understanding the behavioral patterns of how users interact with their buildings and it's why I'd favor firms just getting the POEs done. But, if firms are just looking at the evaluations as a way to see if they "get likes" from the users ... I can see why firms might avoid pushing to make them happen. Their inflated architect egos might not be able to handle the dislikes some actual people using their buildings might give them. Might also start to explain the profession's obsession with awards and glossy magazine articles, and why the managing partner of one of the firms I worked at wrote an email to the entire firm regarding a bad review that was published about one of our buildings he was particularly proud of.

Aug 4, 20 11:42 am  · 
2  · 
citizen

Good comment, EA.

• Be wary of figuring out what makes some of us tick, though :o]
  • Big upvote on the important difference between user satisfaction vs. awards and reviews. 
  • What was the partner's general message to everyone?  I'm curious.
Aug 4, 20 12:45 pm  · 
2  · 

It was stupid. The review wasn't even that bad. IIRC, it was mostly critical of the exterior design of the building ... called it boring or something like that. The partner's message was basically, "Don't worry about the haters. You guys do good work." Most of us were scratching our heads wondering what was really going on. I'd venture that the article got more clicks in that one day than it would have received total otherwise. It was a small local newspaper and his calling attention to it elevated it beyond the project team, or even the office in that region, to the level of the national firm (maybe even internationally, but I can't recall if those offices were included in the email).

Aug 4, 20 1:13 pm  · 
2  · 
revolutionary poet

Can we get Archispeak emojis? (like symbols for stairs, doors, RFI's, etc...)

we'll be stranger than those two AI systems that started talking to each other.

Aug 3, 20 11:49 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

How would an RFI emoji look?

Aug 4, 20 6:02 am  · 
1  · 

if human -

BuzzFeed SF on Twitter: "Facepalm, shrug, and more of the new ...

or non-human

Incomplete Building Black and White Stock Photos & Images - Alamy

Aug 4, 20 6:29 am  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: