Archinect
anchor

To be or not to be..an architect?!

Kiro

Hi all archinectians!

So as this lock-down begins to grow on us...random thoughts are a given. A little about me first to set the background..promise to keep it as short as possible!

My name is Kiro. An architect by education but a Yoga teacher by profession. Became an architect because my father wanted me to (pls don't judge..everyone has their own struggle!)

But in the past 2 years I have increasingly felt drawn to buildings,materials,landscapes...design. I kept fighting it off but this lock-down trapped me in the corner of my mind and I have to confront this now :-)

I passed out in 2011 and haven't done anything 'architect'y since and I regret that from the bottom of my heart! 

So here are my two questions to you all-

1. I don't want to die thinking that I did not give myself a second chance at architecture. If I have to re-learn everything which I did not in college,where do I start from?? There's just too much out there(in terms of reading,softwares..the works) and honestly,it's intimidating. 

and

2. How do you cope with (if) any bad decisions you have made in the past-

Do you choose to push them under,simply act as if they never happened or do you seek closure?

And most importantly, these are strange times,so stay safe and take good care of yourselves :-)

May 14, 20 3:41 pm

1 Featured Comment

All 7 Comments

Featured Comment
randomised

I can imagine the pressure of teaching yoga can be overwhelming and the boring peace and quiet of a job in an anonymous cubicle in an architecture office seems alluring at times(!)—but have you ever actually worked in an architecture office? 

To answer your questions: 

1. Don't worry, you won't have to relearn anything from college—but from not working in the field for a decade. There's already a huge—and often problematic—disconnect between architectural education and practice, so imagine what you'll be up against; a training that ended a decade ago and no working experience to fill in all the gaps and blanks.

2. There's no use crying over spilt milk. Should I have applied for that internship at OMA fresh out of school? Probably...but I didn't, so what you gonna do? And on a personal level, I tend to push my bad decisions under and try to act as if they never happened, until that bomb will burst one day: "Serenity now—insanity later."

May 14, 20 5:38 pm  · 
1  · 
Kiro

Thanks for your response :-) Yoga is challenging but on a satisfying level! Knowing what your body is capable of and bringing all your sensory and physical elements on the same page is exhilarating and liberating even.

May 15, 20 2:05 am  · 
 · 
Kiro

Yoga is a way of life for me and I don't intend to switch completely from that to architecture. Instead am trying to see if I can draw a parallel between yoga and architecture. Coming to your first point of response,yes,I do realise that the gap is mammoth! And I already feel punched in the face looking around in my circles at what my architect friends and juniors are doing! But, I'd rather conclude having tried and failed,than just doing away with these feelings. And believe me you,that even these 7 comments pepped up my morning....good feeling to know that someone is listening and taking the time out to respond. I am a woman in my mid thirtees and if I try and talk about this thought in my family or friends, I know I will be ridiculed,discouraged and/or dismissed as crazy :-)

May 15, 20 2:17 am  · 
 · 
randomised

You should never feel crazy for trying, at least trying, to pursue your dreams or goals imo...I personally enjoy watching MasterChef (UK & Australia) and what you see there—or they want you to see—is a bunch of people passionate about food but coming from totally different backgrounds and careers. Some of these people have afterwards opened their own restaurant or food truck whatever, some have even gone on to win a Michelin star. So just give it a go and see what happens!

May 15, 20 3:47 am  · 
1  · 
Kiro

Yes! Any online content you can direct me to? To just read up,brush up, add up on? Even courses for that matter..Would be good help. Like Norman Foster said, 'you never stop learning!' And btw, I love Master Chef for the same reason. And some other reality competition shows too...people from totally different fraternities show and up their skills,their talents in completely opposite directions at times! Never fails to inspire. Thanks :-)

May 15, 20 9:15 am  · 
 · 
randomised

I think edX is great, it’s in collaboration with reputable universities AND it’s free! https://www.edx.org/course/subject/architecture

May 15, 20 11:20 am  · 
1  · 

DO NOT listen to RickB-Astoria, he has never worked in the field of architecture nor any field related to it.  

May 14, 20 6:05 pm  · 
1  · 
Kiro

No response should be dismissed I believe. There is something to pick up from every one :-) Take care!

May 15, 20 2:28 am  · 
1  · 
randomised

Chad, even if Rick received his architecture training online from taking part in or reading archinect discussions, who cares? Even a broken clock is right twice a day!

May 15, 20 4:15 am  · 
 · 

If people have the knowledge, experience, and built work to back up their posts here I'm fine with it and couldn't care less where / if they received an education. The key is that Rick has none of those things. Be warned when taking his advice.

May 15, 20 11:47 am  · 
 · 

Rick - I have no idea how you looked up my work history - maybe Linkedin? I had several breaks in architecture totality 4 years, the longest being two years.  I have experience getting back into the profession as well as actually practicing architecture.  .  

May 15, 20 1:37 pm  · 
 · 

Reason #2672 you should keep your real name away from Rick.

May 15, 20 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Chad, why should anybody be warned to take someone else’s advice on here? It’s the internet...

May 15, 20 3:01 pm  · 
 · 

Of course, To be...

Isn't it? 

May 14, 20 11:13 pm  · 
1  · 
Kiro

I do feel it is a yes!! But after this huge gap, I feel lost like a pin in a haystack. For now, I am trying to find as much as I can from my college notes/works. I have no idea where I am headed,but I am determined to enjoy every step of the way. Thanks for your response and take care!

May 15, 20 2:31 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

I don't often reference (or watch much) Television, but the character Don Draper in Madmen is a great example of how to move beyond mistakes you've made... you just do it, and never look back.

There's plenty of ways back in to architecture, you could dabble by doing a self-directed project or look for part-time or assistant work in an office once things get rolling again.

May 14, 20 11:58 pm  · 
1  · 
Kiro

Thanks for your response! I will watch Madmen soon. I am not much of a tv/movie buff either :-) Yes, a self designed project although hypothetical can be a good point of start. Assistant work in an office is a long time from now...I am half as good as any fresher (their knowledge is fresh atleast!) hehee with so many good suggestions,there is no time to waste now! take care n cu around!

May 15, 20 2:36 am  · 
 · 
tduds

Mad Men is a great show but I don't know if I'd advise people to look to Don Draper as a role model.

May 15, 20 1:23 pm  · 
1  · 
thatsthat

Honestly I think the hardest thing about pursuing both yoga and architecture is the scheduling.  Architecture is typically 8-5 with some overtime (depending on the firm) and even overnight trips periodically that, depending on your project, may become pretty regular for a bit when things are in construction.  It is difficult when the last class of the day begins before you even get out of work.  I have been practicing since 2013, and the scheduling has been an increasing nightmare the more I've advanced in my career.  Definitely not trying to discourage you; just something to consider if you are serious about pursuing architecture.

May 15, 20 9:22 am  · 
 · 
veronicacruz

HIIII!!!

I came across this article when I started googling 

can you work both in Architecture and teaching yoga at the same time.

Im an Interior Architect with an Interior Design firm and recently graduated as a Yoga Teacher.

I have no IDEA how I will be practicing both ! I love both careers sooo much! I dont think I can live with outh one of them

but it feels as If I have to choose one as both of them required time and patience to become successful.

is anyother person here managing to do Architecture and another career?

any ideas , thoughts! :)

Veronica Cruz

Instagram 

Verocr18  - personal

Vc-designstudio -Design Studio

Akaal_healingarts - Yoga studio

Dec 14, 21 9:53 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Have you considered rockstar astronaut hydra cowgirl?

Dec 15, 21 7:15 am  · 
1  · 
Volunteer

You have to treat one as a hobby. When (if) you retire from the one you chose full-time you can pursue the hobby full time if you want to. 

When the economy craters totally in less than a year architecture may be a good hobby to have so you might want to switch then if you have chosen architecture as a full-time job and yoga as a hobby. 

“They must often change, who would be constant in happiness or wisdom.”

Dec 15, 21 7:02 am  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: