Archinect
anchor

Grad School Portfolio Review

KingGizzard

Hi All! 

I am looking to apply to grad school and would really appreciate feedback on my portfolio! Currently still working out and might add/remove certain projects. 

This is the link: https://tinyurl.com/y7s5k3q7

Many thanks!

May 2, 20 12:43 pm
Dangermouse

i would organize the projects chronologically, to better show the progression of your work and growth as a designer.

wes jones isn't my guy, but your last project is quite strong,  and more importantly you've correctly executed a layout with consistent typography and color choices, which puts you ahead of 95% of the pack, sadly enough.  overall i'd say its a strong portfolio in terms of rigor and technique, and a little weak in concept work.  which is fine, nobody is a perfect fully formed designer, especially prior to grad school.

grades+reccomendations+statement of purpose is key--nail those and you willl get into the gsd (idk about funding), but imho yale or mit would be a better fit for your aesthetic and rigor.  the best of the rest (taubman, ucla, berkeley, gsaap, iit, cinci, ohio etc) will almost certainly admit you with funding.  

May 2, 20 4:02 pm  · 
1  · 
KingGizzard

Thank you so much ! I'm certainly looking at the gsd as one of my top options, still working towards finalizing the statement of purpose but I feel I have enough time to write multiple drafts since the deadline i'm aiming for is around january 2021. I really appreciate your feedback ! thanks again

May 3, 20 1:51 am  · 
 · 
newbie.Phronesis

Interesting minimalist approach to layout, good balance of projects I think. Couple things might improve it:

-different font for your headings

-cover page needs something, or double the font size if want to keep it as is, maybe?

-would like to see more sketches, instead of completely computer based

Hope that helps a bit, and good luck!

May 2, 20 4:05 pm  · 
1  · 
KingGizzard

Thank you ! Very useful feedback indeed ! I haven't played much with the cover page imho as it frankly isn't a priority for me at the moment and rather honing into what is inside the portfolio. I am also thinking of adding a couple of sketches, ill keep your feedback regarding that in mind for sure ! Thank you!

May 3, 20 1:53 am  · 
 · 
Archinect

@KingGizzard - you may be interested in this

May 2, 20 4:15 pm  · 
1  · 
KingGizzard

Thanks !! i'll take a look at it !

May 3, 20 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
WJKI

Your portfolio is terrific - if this is your own work, why are you going to grad school? If you have a professional degree you can be in practice; alternatively, are you planning an academic career path, PhD etc?

I’m a practicing architect with an M Arch (Rhode Island School of Design). Depending on your interests, you may enjoy grad school quite a bit, but there’s a question of necessity based on your portfolio. It’s all about career path - you have a very strong design bent based on what you are showing, and you may expand your own abilities more through practice than through another 2-3 years of design crits.

May 3, 20 6:01 am  · 
1  · 
KingGizzard

Thank you for your feedback ! I do hold a professional 5-year B.Arch degree and am currently employed, looking to work for 1.5 to 2 years in between undergrad and grad. To answer your question frankly, i am more interested in the academic career path and enjoy researching and learning within an academic setting, plus the research interests that i hold at the moment just won't be advanced forward within a professional setting, and could genuinly use the resources such as faculty, interdisciplinary pedagogies and so on to help me get where i want with my personal research interests. Having said that, i still think it was great to practice in between undergrad and grad as it is allowing to craft what it is i want to pursue in masters, so i'm certainly grateful for my current professional endeavors.

May 3, 20 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

make sure you fold this information into your statement of purpose and relate your interests to specific faculty members/research initiatives at the school to which you are applying.

May 3, 20 8:03 pm  · 
 · 
KingGizzard

Thanks, @Dangermouse!

May 4, 20 11:34 am  · 
 · 
Koww

you have a lot of collaboration with mark phillip. if i admit you do i get a discount on him too? i like your second to last project but there are some missing steps in your diagrams. where did the massing and facade design come from?

May 5, 20 5:23 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: