Archinect
anchor

ARCHITECTURE WORK UNDER COVID-19 (Survey + Results)

sidewinder

ARCHITECTURE WORK UNDER COVID-19

This survey is open to all people in architecture and related fields: workers, students, teachers, writers — architects, planners, and landscape architects — anywhere in the world.

The purpose of the survey is to better understand how COVID-19 and its fallout are impacting the field and to initiate a wider, open conversation on the conditions of our work.

The survey is completely transparent — all the results are posted anonymously online (see second link below)

Link to survey:
https://tinyurl.com/yb2xwlcf

Link to anonymous results:
https://tinyurl.com/ycl3z87o

If you prefer to discuss your situation privately or discuss anything related to the survey before taking it, send us an email:
[email protected]

Organized by

T-H-E
A-R-C-H-I-T-E-C-T-U-R-E
L-O-B-B-Y

Apr 29, 20 10:28 pm
b3tadine[sutures]

Buuuuump

Apr 30, 20 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

done

Apr 30, 20 8:45 pm  · 
 · 
civitas

Just submitted

Glad someone put something like this together

May 1, 20 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
archinine
This is great. Too bad can’t be made sticky
May 1, 20 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
sidewinder

Agreed! It's getting a lot of new submissions from this forum. Share it with your friends and colleagues if you can!

May 1, 20 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Yo! The survey results needs some work!

May 1, 20 9:30 pm  · 
1  · 
sidewinder

What do you mean?

May 5, 20 11:15 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

The top row should stay locked in place, the cells don't expand so I can read the full comment. It needs a notes/comments page...it's just hard to sort through all of the data in a coherent way.

May 5, 20 10:25 pm  · 
2  · 
sidewinder

If you look at the fx area below the "view only" button you can see all the text in any cell you've selected.

May 6, 20 9:42 am  · 
square.

sidewinder- it's a lot of great information, but i think the point is that it's difficult to digest in spreadsheet form. would be great to see this as a visual report, otherwise it's not very useful and won't reach a wide audience.

May 6, 20 10:46 am  · 
2  · 

yes, this ^. 100% this. Also, sorting a column messes up the header rows.

May 6, 20 10:57 am  · 
1  · 
sidewinder

Totally agree. I think this in the works.

May 6, 20 11:02 am  · 
1  · 

For anyone wanting to dive in a little more, you can download the data and work with it in Excel, etc. I found it much easier to manage that way. YMMV

May 6, 20 11:07 am  · 
1  · 
sidewinder

Did anything visuals come out of this?

May 18, 20 3:10 pm  · 
square.

aren't you the one who posted this originally?

May 18, 20 3:24 pm  · 
1  · 
sidewinder

yes but everyday architect sounded like they were working on visualizing the data - was just curious if they learned anything

May 18, 20 3:36 pm  · 

I wasn't really working on visualizing anything except for my own curiosity. I'd offer to work on some visualizations (for a fee of course), but I'm quite busy with work at the moment and not looking to take anything else on. I'm sure there are enough architects and designers who have been laid off recently and are looking for work that if you put out a call you'd have a plethora of qualified candidates to help with any visualizations you might want to put together using this data.

May 18, 20 7:27 pm  · 
1  · 
archi_dude

Holy! How are so many people that dumb with student debt!????

May 5, 20 9:07 pm  · 
tduds

A lifetime of being repeatedly assured it's a worthy investment, by people who paid 10% as much and don't realize the game has changed.

May 6, 20 11:19 am  · 
2  · 
threeohdoor

Oof, that lady with $400,000 in debt. I hope that's a typo. I can't think of any industry save maybe medical or computer engineering (some exceptions elsewhere I'm sure) where that debt would be appropriate. That has to be undergrad + grad school ALL on loans with minimal or no grants.

May 6, 20 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

I thought I was bad when I graduated in 2002 with $28K in debt (all paid off now). I can't imagine having what some people in that survey say they carrying. ::EEEP!::

May 6, 20 6:23 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

The first thing I noticed was the debt too.

May 6, 20 8:09 pm  · 
 · 
archinine
Bump
May 11, 20 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
sp429

Bump

Jun 6, 20 11:45 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

the covid show was canceled for the riot show.  I think the covid show is coming back on next week for season 2.  The riot show season 2 is scheduled for NOV.  

Jun 7, 20 12:39 am  · 
1  · 
Meatball2000

architecture lobby should send out the survey to Alumni Group of different schools, if you guys haven’t done that already :)

Jun 18, 20 10:22 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: