Archinect
anchor

STAAAAHP with the damn vapor barriers!!!!!!

atelier nobody

There seem to be an awful lot of otherwise intelligent people in this profession who somehow got the idea that one should just always put a vapor barrier in the same location in every envelope detail. CUT IT OUT! If you don't actually understand envelope detailing, then ASK someone who does. Look for the old dude with the gray ponytail who sits in the corner and you're not sure what it is he does.

Apr 28, 20 9:36 pm
Non Sequitur

Can you give an example?

Also, it's vapour with a u.

Apr 28, 20 10:09 pm  · 
 · 
betonbrut

A typical example here in Seattle would be a vapo(u)r barrier behind the drywall, when the exterior weather barrier is vapo(u)r impermeable. With an impermeable weather barrier, it is the vapo(u)r barrier and adding a second one can cause big problems.

Apr 28, 20 10:33 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Yes, I expected this to be a common example. We make it very clear that the drainage plane membrane is always vapour permeable but there are many who just label all the dashed lines as blueskip or twf without thinking twice.

Apr 28, 20 11:48 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

Adding vapour barrieurs tou assemblieus with air barrieurs is a commoun case. But you alsou see this probleum with projects designed for warmeur (tropical) or coldeur (Canadieun) climates where the deuw points are differeunt.

Apr 29, 20 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^louve it

Apr 29, 20 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
betonbrut

Couldn't agree more!!! 

Apr 28, 20 10:30 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

A good Instagram account to follow if you enjoy this topic is Building Science Fight Club. I’m too lazy to try to link to it, but it’s fantastic.

Apr 28, 20 11:06 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

It's super great. Everyone in the field should follow it.

Apr 28, 20 11:25 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

Great recommendation!

Apr 29, 20 8:53 am  · 
 · 
tduds

Just recently discovered BSFC. Great content!

Apr 29, 20 11:38 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Christine is awesome! Last night she moderated a wall contest I participated in. (I won.) https://www.instagram.com/buildingsciencefightclub/

Apr 29, 20 1:04 pm  · 
 · 

YAY Wood Guy!!! COngratulations!!!

Apr 29, 20 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Fascinating WG.

Apr 29, 20 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Thanks Donna and Non! If you're interested, you can read about the contest here: https://www.instagram.com/bs_and_beer_kc/. I narrowly beat out my friend Ben and we decided to call it a draw, and give the award to a vocational school teacher--hopefully to encourage his students to continue on the high performance path.

Apr 29, 20 3:00 pm  · 
 · 

That's lovely, Wood Guy!

Apr 30, 20 7:50 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

WG, looking at your winning detail, It appears to me that you're suggesting a eng floor joist as a stud. Is there another reason other than increase cavity depth for R value? I know it's overkill for most uses but am curious on the wall height and struct load options (ie. mid-panel floor connection).

Apr 30, 20 8:14 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Non, I submitted the best system I've used, the panelized Passive House system developed by Ecocor, where I used to work, based on the Swedish platform framing system. One of my tasks when I was there was to get it certified by the International Passive House Association as a certified Passive House assembly--the first outside of Europe to do so.

The TJIs on the exterior were the best way we found to get a thick layer of exterior cellulose insulation. Same idea as Larson trusses from the 70s, but with much lower labor costs. Steve Baczek submitted a similar wall using custom open web trusses, but they aren't a good match for dense-packed cellulose because each one would have to be netted to retain the insulation. 

Ecocor has clever details for every connection. I helped develop a lot of them, among my other responsibilities as operations manager. (I quickly learned that running a factory was NOT a good fit for me, though.) You can see more about their systems here: https://www.ecocor.us/.

Here's a Fine Homebuilding article about Ecocor and their system: https://www.finehomebuilding.com/2017/09/12/making-passive-house-mainstream

Apr 30, 20 9:13 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Good info. thanks for the links. I think I've looked at ecocor before.

Apr 30, 20 10:30 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Not necessarily true. Double vapour retarders can work just fine. They've used in about 99% of houses in my area for decades.

https://www.buildingscience.co...

Apr 28, 20 11:30 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

yes, but the exterior air membrane must be vapour permeable. If you have the junior labeling everything as blue-skin then you've got a problem.

Apr 28, 20 11:46 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Maybe. I just don't like absolute statements like that, because there are always exceptions and it shows a lack of understanding.

Apr 29, 20 10:01 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Also, roofs are done very similarly to double blue skin and they work just fine in our climate.

Apr 29, 20 10:02 am  · 
 · 

The only absolute statement I've seen above is that you should stop putting a VR in the same location every time. The OP's call to ask an expert would ferret out the exceptions, no?

(when I abbreviate vapor retarder no Canadians can complain about the spelling)

Apr 29, 20 11:22 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

eugh, no to abbreviations.

Apr 29, 20 12:02 pm  · 
 · 

lol ... or should it be loul?

Apr 29, 20 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

“It is a damn poor mind that can think of only one way to spell a word.” Andrew Jackson

Apr 29, 20 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I've written this before, but one of building science's authors was my building science prof while in grad school.  Learned more in an 1hr in there than an entire undergrad semester.

Apr 29, 20 1:33 pm  · 
 · 

NS, every time I get a chance to see a presentation he gives, I take it. I always come away having learned something.

Apr 29, 20 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
OddArchitect

We had this issue about three years ago.

Metal stud walls with exterior continuous insulation (POLYISO w/ facer) with a spray applied weather barrier.  An associate of the client (school district) was aliment that we needed a vapor was needed.  That's was a fun educational process.  Grrrr.

As a side note we're in western Colorado with a high desert climate and very low humidity (below 15%)

Apr 29, 20 10:10 am  · 
 · 
Almosthip

Vapour. Vapor feels like it would be the name of a sports car

Apr 29, 20 10:39 am  · 
 · 
OddArchitect

Vapor or GTFO.

Apr 29, 20 10:57 am  · 
 · 
tduds

The rule of thumb I remember from building envelopes class is it goes on the "winter warm" side of the wall.

Apr 29, 20 11:39 am  · 
 · 

You're leaps ahead of most architects if you can remember that. Of course, that doesn't work for all climates ... like hot humid climates where the problematic vapor drive is in the summer from the outside in.

Apr 29, 20 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

That's the rule of thumb but tell me what I'm supposed to do - our weather swings from -40 in the winter to nearly 100f in the summer (ie, air conditioning season). It would seem that double VB would make sense in this instance.

Apr 29, 20 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

To answer my own question, we take a different approach. I haven't used cavity insulation in my entire 10 year career.

Apr 29, 20 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip

Double VB never make sense unless you like to promote mold growth. High humidity areas should adopt a 1/3 : 2/3 rule. Vapour barrier is place 1/3 on the warm side of insulation and 2/3 of the insulation on the cold side.

Apr 29, 20 12:27 pm  · 
 · 

The rule of thumb should be used as a preliminary tool to understand a basic concept, not as the final determining factor. If you use a rule of thumb to layout a preliminary structural grid, you don't insist that you don't need an expert (i.e. structural engineer) to validate it. I'd look at this the same way. Start with the rule of thumb to get the ball rolling, but validate the approach with someone who knows. FWIW, bowling_ball ... it seems like you know so you probably can skip the rule of thumb thing and just design it. That doesn't mean that others can't benefit from the rule of thumb though.

Apr 29, 20 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
OddArchitect

BB - I too have worked in a climate like yours (northern MN high humidity in the summer, cold in the winter). The vapor retarder needs to located based on several factors, most importantly where the dew point is occurring in the wall SYSTEM. The location of the dew point can occur in different locations depending on the season. When that happens I've found it beneficial to calculate which 'season' is the longest and install the vapor retarder based on that. When you're doing continuous insulation you need to calculate the insulation thickness so that the dew point is occurring before it reaches the building sheathing. I've never installed double vapor retarders or split the location of the vapor retarder.

Apr 29, 20 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

You got it, Chad. There are many, many variables and I don't try to be a building scientist by any means. Re: dew point, our energy code mandates so much insulation that I don't envision a scenario where that could ever be a problem.

Apr 29, 20 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
OddArchitect

The thing that's always bothered me is that with POLYISO and XPS insulation is that they loose around 50% of their R value when wet and take a long time to dry. If the dew point is occurring within the insulation then what? How dose the water get out? Are we setting up a bunch of exterior envelopes to fail in 15 years when the insulation deteriorates?

Apr 29, 20 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

This is why we pay our envelope consultants handsomely

Apr 29, 20 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Chad, as long as that deterioration period is longer than the Statute of limitations, think of all the extra fees!

Apr 29, 20 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

double vapor barrier is bad. the newer codes will tell you that you can't use visqueen at all in temperate climates anymore.

Apr 30, 20 8:00 am  · 
 · 
OddArchitect

NS - I try to not think about that, Colorado has some rather generous standard of care and liable laws when it comes to construction system failures.

Apr 30, 20 10:06 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

I generally use an impermeable barrier on the outside, an impervious barrier on the inside, fill the cavity with closed cell foam, then dip the whole thing in melted chocolate and a crushed peanuts.

Delicious.

Apr 29, 20 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

remember you have to temper the chocolate for it to set right

Apr 30, 20 8:00 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

I thought you were going to mention my pet peeve: calling it a vapor barrier and not vapor retarder (proper American spelling, thank you.) Considering the confusion among architects and builders about air barriers vs. vapor retarders vs. weather resistive barriers, a builder friend of mine proposed what I think is a great idea--to consistently call them:

Rain control layer
Vapor control layer
Air control layer
Thermal control layer 

Conveniently abbreviated as RCL, VCL, ACL and TCL. One material can serve more than one function, but you need each of these three in any assembly. I know it's a stretch to think we can change the industry, but I like big challenges. 

On a related note, on Thursday, May 7, on our BS+Beer Show we'll be talking with Kohta Ueno from Building Science Corp and Bill Hulstrunk, a cellulose expert, about unvented foam-free roofs, so vapor control will certainly come up. Christine Williamson (@buildingsciencefightclub, who LB mentioned earlier) may be another guest; she's been on before. 

Apr 29, 20 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

That's awesome, I'll be tuning in. Thanks for the heads up!

Apr 29, 20 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Christine happens to be Joe L's daughter, which both makes sense and blows my mind. Two ridiculously smart-but-practical experts in the same family.

Apr 29, 20 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I honestly gave up correcting the retarder/barrier terms. I should probably fix that habit.

Apr 29, 20 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

BB, great, I hope to see you there! This is a good interview with Christine: https://entrearchitect.com/podcast/entrearch/building-science-fight-club/. She talks about her relationship with her dad and working at BSC. Another big influence for her was working with Chris Bennedict, an amazing NYC architect who is a leader in building energy performance, among other things.

Non, that's probably wise. I try to pick my battles but can be stubborn on some hopeless issues. 

Apr 29, 20 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Wood guy, I hear ya. I'm working with ownership on establish naming conventions and eventhough using retarder/barrier is far on the to-do list, I'll make note of it. Hard to impose standards when the senior staff can't get the basics organized.

Apr 30, 20 8:08 am  · 
 · 
Bench

WG - very nice, I will be listening in! Is there a link for the talk? Not sure I saw one.

One other thing, in the above reply you mentioned 4 new terms, which I find insanely useful. But you said you need 3 in any buildup - where's the odd one out ?

Apr 30, 20 9:00 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Bench, I try to be careful about spamming--I can be prone to too much self-promotion. But since you asked, you can join the mailing list here https://www.thebsandbeershow.com/ or view the invitation for today's talk here https://mailchi.mp/e6679ed9e87a/the-bs-beer-show-april-30-4506448

As for the new terms, I'm glad you like them. I only wish I could do basic arithmetic. There are four control layers and they're all important. (Apparently four semesters of calculus and one of differential equations were not enough.) 

Apr 30, 20 9:07 am  · 
 · 
Bench

Thought that might have been a typo ... !

Apr 30, 20 9:55 am  · 
 · 
Bench

For a young, soon-to-be licensed architect (hopefully), what do you recommend for getting a better understanding of everything discussed here? I've done my own wall details previously and seemed to have a decent handle on it, but none of the comments here seem to be anything i've given too much thought to in the past. I'd like to have a better understanding but its very complex.

Apr 30, 20 9:57 am  · 
 · 
mightyaa

That's cool wood. I might try to listen in. @Bench, it is one of those things you'll have to search around to find good information. For myself, I am admittedly weak on this vapor drive stuff and psychrometric charts. What I do know is we are seeing a lot more issues in recent years due to spray foams and reflective roofs for energy conservation. Residential is a huge issue because unlike commercial, the mechanical code doesn't have a outdoor air requirement.... so humidity levels tend to escalate until eventually you get one of those days where condensation forms; added issue is architects don't have much training, and mechanical engineers don't do building shell... so there is a gap in areas of expertise and knowledge.

Apr 30, 20 10:21 am  · 
 · 
mightyaa

Naming conventions; WRB. Our office just changed this one to "water resistant barrier" in our legal reports instead of the old "weather resistive barrier". Basically, the IRC (R703.1.1 & R703.2) talk about weather resistance, but now call it "water resistant barrier"... Sometime it just feels like they change things for the hell of it.

Apr 30, 20 10:34 am  · 
 · 

I roll with whatever people want to call a WRB. I've yet to find a clear consensus. Even the IBC can't agree with itself (references from 2018 IBC): Section 1403.2 requires a "water-resistive barrier," but Section 1403.3.4 mentions a "weather-resistive barrier as specified in this chapter." That term "weather-resistive barrier" only occurs the one time in Chapter 14. Chapter 2 has "water-resistive barrier" defined, but it also includes multiple references to "weather-resisting barrier" and "weather-resistant barrier" and also simply "weather barrier." In the end, I accept them all as interchangeable and don't argue with the pedants (not used as a pejorative) that insist on trying to argue about which is correct. In my specs though ... I follow CSI MasterFormat and use "weather barrier." And since I make sure the terminology in my drawings and specs match ... call it a weather barrier or feel the wrath of my red pen.

Apr 30, 20 11:49 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Bench, I think this article is an excellent overview of the four control layers: https://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/article/an-intro-to-the-control-layers-of-a-wall. If you don't have a subscription, I'd consider getting one--it's a good value for the content. If that's not in the cards, an abbreviated version is here: https://www.finehomebuilding.com/2019/01/03/crash-course-in-control-layers. (The author of both, Brian, is the editor of Green Building Advisor and one of my co-hosts for BS + Beer. I tried to get him to go with my terms above but he wasn't ready for that.)

This is another one, classic but relevant:  https://www.buildingscience.com/documents/insights/bsi-001-the-perfect-wall

Apr 30, 20 4:05 pm  · 
 · 

Truly, no one knows.

Apr 29, 20 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

LOL. Did you see SNL last weekend? Your guy was good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uW56CL0pk0g

Apr 29, 20 3:02 pm  · 
 · 

Several of my friends sent me that clip moments after it aired. My guy is *always* good.

Apr 30, 20 7:50 am  · 
 · 
OddArchitect

That man ages well!

Apr 30, 20 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Honestly I feel like this is one of the best Twitter jokes I’ve made.

Apr 30, 20 8:25 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

is the unnecessary 'u' part of the metric system?

Apr 30, 20 8:02 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

it's very necessary and no, it's part of the hold-up your pinky while you drink your coffee system. pesant.

Apr 30, 20 8:05 am  · 
 · 

Non is that "peasant" or "pissant"?

Apr 30, 20 11:14 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Donna, I don’t know. I had to lay off my dictation team and I can’t work the spell check without them.

Apr 30, 20 11:38 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

puissant

Apr 30, 20 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
OddArchitect

I think the word 'yal are lookin' for is Canadian.

Apr 30, 20 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Non, you joke about your dictation team but honestly I bet people like Bjarke and Rem have folks to just follow them around and write down or record the stuff they say.

Apr 30, 20 8:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: