Archinect
anchor

what would be the cheapest way to build a skyscraper

Hi so I have been researching ways of designing a sustainable skyscraper that would solve urban issues. I wanted to see if there could be a way to minimize costs as much as possible down to the bare minimums while making the skyscraper look good as well and not a big ugly rectangle. I have considered implementing CLT and timber as it is quite strong and easy to work with, and would speed up construction time and would cutdown on carbon footprints. So let me know what you think.

Apr 13, 20 4:29 pm
Non Sequitur

turn it on it's side.

Apr 13, 20 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
Witty Banter

The cheapest way to build a skyscraper is with a regular and efficient structural system.

Apr 13, 20 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
Koww

you're the one who has been researching... so you should let us know what you think

Apr 13, 20 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
Akira

i mentioned some methods

Apr 13, 20 11:11 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

I wouldn't necessarily include "cheapest" in the marketing package. 

Yes, now you can enjoy life on the top floors of the world's cheapest-built skyscraper.  (Windows, rope ladder, and fire extinguisher not included.)

Apr 13, 20 7:18 pm  · 
 · 
Akira

well i meant "cheapest to construct", I wanted to design a tower with a triple bottom architectural outcome exactly like the nightingale housing projects in Australia, where it doesn't focus on profit but more on sustainability, affordability and livability

Apr 14, 20 3:17 am  · 
 · 
joseffischer

You do understand that triple bottom lines and etc is just marketing speak for "we're not gonna build cheap here" There isn't a magic technique, system, trick, or material that gets you quality and the cheapest possible... otherwise everyone would be building like that already. For an example, see the last 20 years how everyone's been convinced that sealed concrete is a good final floor finish.

Apr 14, 20 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

build it in a low labor cost coastal city like calcutta and float it across the ocean like an oil rig platform.

you're not going to find a uniquely good solution as a student, just be clever and interesting.

Apr 13, 20 9:10 pm  · 
 · 
Akira

honestly that is true, i just want my idea to be more grounded in reality

Apr 13, 20 11:11 pm  · 
 · 
archinine
The reason there are so many ‘big ugly rectangles’ is because they are the cheapest.
Apr 13, 20 11:43 pm  · 
 · 
monosierra

https://www.bdcnetwork.com/asia%E2%80%99s-modular-miracle

If this is to be believed. Identical modules, minimize transport, local materials, cheap labor, rural land, in-house fabrication. Land prices, construction scheduling and labor costs are big cost drivers - time is everything. Interest on loans pile up.

Apr 14, 20 10:18 am  · 
 · 
Almosthip

Wood is cheap, until you have to have it within a 2 hour fire rate assembly.

Wood also usually requires more labour, and labour is not cheap.

Apr 14, 20 10:34 am  · 
 · 
monosierra

If you want to go full sci-fi, growing buildings out of programmed organic matter - a descendant of the Hy-Fi - could be interesting. Imagine designing the DNA of a building-organism, plant the seeds on site and have the thing grow at an accelerated pace.

Apr 14, 20 11:43 am  · 
 · 
OddArchitect

Pffft - just use organic crystals. Way stronger and have better wind resistance. Also you don't need to water your skyscraper.

Apr 14, 20 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
monosierra

I like it

Apr 14, 20 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Hell yeah mycelial skyscrapers.

Apr 14, 20 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
CodesareFUN

Toilet paper tubes from a Christian dominionist hoarder housewife with 19 kids. 

Apr 14, 20 6:33 pm  · 
 · 

Nagol - Land diving - Pentecost Island, Vanuatu | The first … | Flickr

Apr 14, 20 7:56 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: