Archinect
anchor

Trying to Eliminate Touching Any Doorknobs

bezducci

I am working on inventing a mechanical add-on to existing doors to enable them to be opened and closed entirely without the use of hands (only feet). My main focus now is on restaurants and hospitals.

My going assumption is that electric doors are just too expensive and that, particularly now, people want to be sure they can enter and exit a room without touching a doorknob.

I am open to all feedback and would absolutely love to have an offline conversation. Thank you so much!

Apr 2, 20 2:35 pm

1 Featured Comment

All 7 Comments

SneakyPete

You're likely to fall afoul of the ADA, which is why button-push electric doors are a real item. The 15 / 5 lb force requirement is a struggle to deal with at exterior locations as it is. 

If there was a door that required only 5 lbs of force and didn't need to latch and could stay closed in any sort of non-calm weather, the 10" required at the bottom of the door would make it easy to push open, but pulling with one's feet is a trick.

Apr 2, 20 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
bezducci

This is really helpful. Thank you. I think it would be mostly applicable for interior latch doors (e.g. restrooms, exam rooms), but even then, it will be important to factor in the extra weight of commercial doors.

Apr 2, 20 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I'll love to see how you plan to have this device comply with fire-ratings.

Apr 2, 20 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
bezducci

This is a really great point. I have been mostly focused on ADA compliance. Can you steer me in the right direction on fire compliance or can you flag which areas of compliance you think stand out the most?

Apr 2, 20 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

Fire doors must be self-closing and self-latching while allowing egress with a single action, not requiring a key or special knowledge, and without tight grasping or twisting of the wrist.

Apr 2, 20 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

Already been done

Apr 2, 20 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

https://www.kootykey.com/

Apr 2, 20 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

The Toe Opener

Apr 2, 20 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

They blew it not going with "Toepener"

Apr 2, 20 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

I love how they couldn't even take a real picture of it in action... just a real shitty photoshop job!

Apr 2, 20 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

Impossible to use for anyone with less than complete control and strength in their lower extremities.

Apr 2, 20 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
Koww

no touching needed

Apr 2, 20 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
Featured Comment
atelier nobody

The only way I can see a door like this working would require:

• Dual swing - push from either side, no pulling.
  • Panic bars 10" high and full width on both sides.
  • 15 lbs to unlatch & 5 lbs to open door.
  • Creative thinking required for dealing with security.
Apr 2, 20 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
bezducci

These are great points. Doesn't the success of someone like StepNpull prove out that it's possible to operate a pull door from your foot, though, even if not everyone can achieve this from a strength and balance standpoint?

Apr 2, 20 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

How does a person in a wheelchair operate the "StepNpull"?

Apr 2, 20 6:48 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

"YellNwait"?

Apr 2, 20 7:02 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: