Archinect
anchor

ICF House Design

girlworld

Interested in building a house using insulated concrete form.

Can any architect do a design or does it need to be a specific architect who works with this form?
If so, what is the best resource to find an architect experienced with ICF buildings?

thanks

Apr 1, 20 7:14 pm
Non Sequitur

is google broken?

Apr 1, 20 7:23 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

ICF is a nightmare for most non-industrial applications.

If you're building anything other than a windowless box, almost any other construction system is going to be better.

Apr 1, 20 7:31 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I’d love to see the reaction of the architect when this person’s first request is not about design but about a ICF building.

Apr 1, 20 7:35 pm  · 
 · 

I've seen two ICF buildings first hand in the architectural wild. The first was a house a guy built down the street from my childhood home. IIRC, he designed it himself, stacked the forms himself, and helped his brother-in-law who was a concrete subcontractor pour the concrete. Then it got interesting doing all the other work and I think he said something about never wanting to do it again. It turned out ok in the end though. 

The other was a movie theater ... the perfect windowless box.

Apr 1, 20 8:11 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: