Archinect
anchor

Favorite building during commute?

White_Snowman

Whats your favorite building along your commute to work? I like the circular opening to the balcony on this building. It’s kinda funky. 

Mar 31, 20 2:23 am

1 Featured Comment

All 16 Comments

Archlandia

probably this one. Hotel project by ZGF. The metal cladding looks sort of like folded paper or some fibrous fabric in person and the details are nicely done. Just a clean building

Mar 31, 20 3:04 am  · 
 · 
White_Snowman

Real cool. I like that short vertical break in the middle. Not related to the building but I love those street lamps too.

Mar 31, 20 4:14 am  · 
 · 
tduds

It appears we have the same favorite building (and similar commute!). The new Gladys McCoy building (also by ZGF, they're killin' it lately) is a contender for 2nd in that neighborhood.

Mar 31, 20 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Not many good images of the finished product (yet)...

Officials welcome new county health building - Daily Journal of ...

Mar 31, 20 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
Archlandia

I haven't seen this in person yet actually... always interested from the renderings though! I always head down the park blocks from Glisan before I get to it (coming from NW) might have to sneak out of quarantine for a glimpse.

Mar 31, 20 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

This one might be more familiar to some...

Centre Block - Wikipedia

but my favorite is this:

1890 Queen Anne Revival

Mar 31, 20 6:09 am  · 
 · 
White_Snowman

Those windows on the Queen Anne are something else. What do you call a window like that? Kind of like a mini bay window.

Mar 31, 20 6:36 am  · 
 · 
White_Snowman

Those windows on the Queen Anne are something else. What do you call a window like that? Kind of like a mini bay window.

· 
White_Snowman

Also the history of Centre Block is pretty interesting. Especially with the fire and all that.

· 
Non Sequitur

The arched windows at grade are more impressive in person and you can see the road slope up (towards the parliament east block). TIL, this one is the most ornate building in this style in Canada. (https://www.historicplaces.ca/en/pages/32_queen_anne.aspx)

Mar 31, 20 6:48 am  · 
 · 
leonizer

Pass by this each drive to work. 

Mar 31, 20 10:22 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Columbus Tower, 916 Kearny St, San Francisco.jpg

love this one

Mar 31, 20 11:43 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

That’s wonderful!

Apr 1, 20 6:56 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

One of my three commute routes: 

Mar 31, 20 11:52 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Love, love, love the inside of this building on the ground floor.

Mar 31, 20 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Love this one.

Back in like 2005, me and my budies were on a cross NA road trip and stop by Chicago for a few days.  No-one understood why I made everyone stop as I marvelled at this grey block.  My wife was equally confused when I took her there many years later.

Mar 31, 20 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
White_Snowman

What about this building makes it so special? I do like the bay windows. Makes kind of an undulating surface when you look at it in a certain way.

Mar 31, 20 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

You should have learned about this building in your architecture history course. "The tallest load-bearing brick building ever constructed..." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monadnock_Building

Mar 31, 20 6:44 pm  · 
 · 
White_Snowman

Haha I never went to school for architecture and I’m just now getting into it. Interesting stuff!

Mar 31, 20 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

a relatively large number of small architects offices in that building. kind of a magnet for them due to the combination of central location, interesting provenance, and low rent due to the old elevators and quirky spaces.

Apr 1, 20 10:37 am  · 
 · 

As a traveling studio in 1980 from sciarc about dozen of us stayed in partially empty Monadnock building for two weeks in our sleeping bags on the whole 14th floor. I had views of the Mies and Picasso and the fucking jail. One of the classmates had a connection to the owner's friends or something.

Apr 6, 20 7:16 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

Since I was laid off due to COVID-19... this is part of my commute I guess... 

Mar 31, 20 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
White_Snowman

Big oof, sorry that happened to you. Never a bad time to study some industrial design though.

Mar 31, 20 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

i pass by a lot of fantastic buildings walking from the subway, but in keeping with the OP this one stands out for its peculiar mishmash of features and styles. incompetent yet lovely.

Apr 1, 20 10:35 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

lovely

Apr 6, 20 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
joseffischer

Yeah... not going to post a picture of my hallway to living room/kitchenette/converted office, sorry.  I do like the building tho.

Apr 1, 20 10:53 am  · 
 · 
Featured Comment
edlcm09

About 10 years ago I did an internship in Ahmedabad, India. I would see this everyday on my tuk tuk ride.

Apr 5, 20 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

The Mill Owners' Building is truly epic. Lots of good times spent there...

Apr 6, 20 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

I love buildings that are transitional between different styles, or that have elements of different styles juxtaposed. This one is a mishmosh, but the overall composition comes together beautifully, IMNSHO.

Apr 6, 20 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

Ed Roberts Campus - Ashby Berkeley BART station - Leddy Maytum Stacy

Apr 6, 20 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

when I used to commute, this is what I looked at most of the time

Apr 6, 20 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Just remembered a real gem I used to bus past when I lived in Boston.

http://www.machado-silvetti.com/PORTFOLIO/allston/index.php

Apr 6, 20 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
White_Snowman

That’s a lovely building. Do you think the wood slats and slate shingles are supposed to effect the look of books? The slats sort of look like the pages of a book and the facade look sort of like books on a shelf. Pretty to look at.

Apr 7, 20 5:08 am  · 
 · 
tduds

That may have been an inspiration... but even if it is, I think they did a nice job of not forcing the metaphor. The materials work honestly, with a little wink of reference.

Apr 7, 20 10:58 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

One of my views on my bike ride into the office.

Getaway Guide: Spend a Weekend in Grand Junction, Colorado ...

Apr 6, 20 2:30 pm  · 
1  · 
JLC-1

you live/work in palisades? snowmass village here.

Apr 6, 20 2:41 pm  · 
1  · 
tduds

What a butte.

Apr 6, 20 5:18 pm  · 
1  · 
Chad Miller

I live / work in Grand Junction. I can see the Monument, Bookcliffs, Grand Mesa, and Mt. Garfield on my way to a from work.

Apr 7, 20 9:46 am  · 
1  · 
archanonymous

Beautiful country but the architecture can't measure up to the landscape which is why I moved.

Apr 7, 20 10:29 am  · 
 · 
tduds

I spent a night in Grand Junction once. Beautiful area. Kind of a seedy motel, though. I should've camped but forgot to research - this was pre smartphones so I didn't want to take my chances & run into a Walter White RV out in the hinterlands.

Apr 7, 20 10:57 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

I don't think the architecture should measure up to the landscape. For that to happen the built environment would have to overtake the landscape. I agree that the quality of the architecture here has plenty of room for improvement. We're doing our best to make that improvement. Regardless I moved here for the outdoors, not for the architecture.

Apr 7, 20 10:58 am  · 
 · 
randomised

https://www.instagram.com/expl...

Apr 6, 20 3:53 pm  · 
 · 

Apr 6, 20 7:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: