Archinect
anchor

COVID-19 & CIVIL UNREST

Civil unrest will it erupt in the United States? Can architects provide something positive to the discussion?

Mar 28, 20 8:44 pm

3 Featured Comments

All 18 Comments

flatroof

Yes design and build COVID19 a weekend home Rhinebeck, it's the only known cure.

Mar 28, 20 9:10 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

flat roof...the only problem with Rhinebeck is you have to go the Hospital in Sharon CT if you get ill. If your lucky you will find a Doctor there let alone a ventilator. I have been there, they over charged me by $500.00 Dollars and my insurance company caught up with them some 18 months later.

Mar 31, 20 8:18 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Sorry, all my architect time is spent curing cancer. 

Mar 28, 20 9:23 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

You should be working on a cure for type 1 diabetes.

Mar 31, 20 11:06 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Type 1 diabetes is some bullshit, man. My cousin has it and when I found out how they "got" it I was floored.

Mar 31, 20 11:59 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

I have it too. Damn auto immune disorder.

Mar 31, 20 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

fine. I hear ya. Hold my beer while I toss out all my current cancer work and make room for this newfangled disease.

Mar 31, 20 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

Being laid off is taking its toll on me

Mar 28, 20 9:41 pm  · 
 · 
sp429

I feel you.

Mar 31, 20 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
Featured Comment
tduds

Guillotines seem like more of a mechanical engineering thing.

Mar 30, 20 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

^Wins the internet for today.

Mar 30, 20 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I would like a Rube Goldberg style guillotine that slices bread and cheese. Architects can do that. 2 parts function, 18 parts folly.

Mar 30, 20 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Excellent tduds!

Mar 30, 20 7:45 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

I don’t see it coming to that.   People are too scared rn.  Look how fast this thing stopped the Hong Kong protests.  Almost like it was planned by the Chinese Communist party...

Mar 30, 20 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

if you need more tin foil, I have a costco-sized roll here. I don't need any.

Mar 30, 20 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Ok, because its never been done before right...notice how China and Russia are mostly unscathed...I’m not saying it was “man made”, or at least intentionally so, but they are definitely going to capitalize on it.

Mar 30, 20 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

oh, the protests are going to come back for sure, after this subsides.

Mar 30, 20 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Yes it's curious that the two countries with the most effective worldwide propaganda outfits and the least press freedom have a curiously low incidence of disease. But not for the reason you're stating.

Mar 30, 20 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
revolutionary poet

if you don't test for the virus you can't see it

Mar 30, 20 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

true dat, here i am !

Mar 30, 20 9:16 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

jla-x, you are a most notable coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality

Mar 31, 20 11:08 am  · 
 · 

Chad, I'm no fan of jla-x, but there's no need for the ad hominem.

Mar 31, 20 11:11 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

Easy Chad, I don’t like you either soy boy. Anyone see the news that China hid asymptotic cases?

Mar 31, 20 11:41 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

last I checked asymptotes don't cause any illness.

Mar 31, 20 12:01 pm  · 
 · 

+1 for geometry humor

Mar 31, 20 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

It's a quote from All's Well That Ends Well. The irony is lost on jla-x.

Mar 31, 20 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

this guy ping-pongs all over the place; China weaponized it, China is responsible, to notice how Russia and China are "unscathed". I mean really, "soy boy", next it'll be "pizza gate-boy". Which is it; totalitarian state, known manipulators of "facts", or super-immunized?

Mar 31, 20 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Hence my Shakespearean insult regarding his truthfulness and dependability.

Mar 31, 20 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

I just find it strange that the same crowd that bashes trump at every chance (often rightfully so) has a problem bashing the Chinese regime who clearly are far worse abusers of human rights and clearly more culpable in this particular situation. I’m not sure if your afraid to criticize those who look a little different (that’s racist imo) or that you are rooting for the success of communism?

Mar 31, 20 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

EA, ya. Check the news. They admitted it. the asymptotic cases are silent spreaders. They make this way harder to contain.

Mar 31, 20 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Well the thing is jla-x, I have no problem bashing the Chinese regime. I have a problem with being a racist runt like Trump when he attempts to put ALL the blame on China. Trump's response to this pandemic is all about avoiding responsibility and trying to make himself look good.

Mar 31, 20 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Shhh. If you notice the smart people like Dr Birx and Fauci are letting him think he’s doing good. If we antagonize his feeble ego rn he may stop listening to the experts

Mar 31, 20 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Seriously. I think Cuomo is doing same.

Mar 31, 20 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

As for racism, I don’t see the Chinese govt and Chinese people as the same thing. That’s an odd line of thought. I guess I can understand that really stupid peklle May take it out on some Chinese Americans
guy living in Florida,

Mar 31, 20 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

But that’s really stupid. I don’t understand how they arrive at that connection.

Mar 31, 20 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

I also don’t recall West Nile virus causing racism towards that region. I think it’s very important to not muddy the origins of these things because they tend to come from certain conditions that we need to raise awareness about. Bush meat is not morally wrong, but certainly dangerous. Many diseases originated in areas where humans and animals are in close contact. Exotic animals like that pangolin thing carry novel viruses that we otherwise would not be exposed to unless we capture them and sell them in open markets. It’s not racism to point that truth out. It’s a fact. I think China has a beautiful and fascinating culinary culture. There are aspects of it that pose a health risk. Eating Fugu in Japan is an obvious dangerous practice to the person eating it. That’s not racist to point out. They know this. Happens wet markets pose a greater danger to the world. Aside from viruses, their appetite for exotic animals has led to poaching all over the world.

Mar 31, 20 4:05 pm  · 
 · 

Chad, lol ... apparently the reference was lost on me too. 

jla-x, asymptomatic (note that the first line is "not to be confused with asymptotic")

Mar 31, 20 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Why not start with quelling unrest on other threads?

Mar 30, 20 3:23 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

hey now... some of us are enjoying the fires.

Mar 30, 20 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

The most popular indoor sport: bitchensnarken (from the original Prussian)

Mar 30, 20 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

gratuitous correction to your joke: german and prussian are totally unrelated languages. but yeah the general malaise is definitely bringing out more nastiness and less thoughtful commentary than usual.

Mar 30, 20 9:04 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

^ How is that possible, midlander? ;o)

And you bring way more intellect to my lame joke than it deserves.  I randomly chose Prussia, and had to Google it to learn it was once a German state.

Mar 30, 20 10:00 pm  · 
 · 
archi_dude

Everyone kept saying look at Italy, look at Italy. Well, let's all look at Italy to see where this is headed.

Mar 30, 20 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
Featured Comment
juju1992

Regarding your other post (which got deleted) on why all the fuss over calling it "Chinese virus," here is why - because its basic human level respect, especially when scientists don't even know yet where it came from or where in actually originated. People didn't call h1n1 the "American flu" or rather, "The United States of America flu," nor did they call the recent Ebola outbreak "Guinean Virus." Also don't see how this question has any relevancy here. And just to clarify, I am not even Chinese, just feel stupid for people who perceive things this way.

Mar 30, 20 11:10 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

thanks for this. there are many of us who support decency and fairness even in times of anxiety and fear.

Mar 31, 20 12:50 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

The Ebola virus is one of the Zaire Ebola virus family. The members of the species are called Zaire ebolaviruses.The natural reservoir of Ebola virus is believed to be bats, particularly fruit bats, and it is primarily transmitted between humans and from animals to humans through body fluids. Just FWIW.

Mar 31, 20 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Ebola predates current WHO naming conventions, which were developed explicitly to stop associating viral names with locations, because of the tendency of humans to associate the location with the people living in / from that location and the uptick in racial intolerance that seems to follow. Just FWIW.

Mar 31, 20 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

I think that’s dumb. Viruses that have zoonotic origins also have specific geographic origins. Why hide the origins?

Mar 31, 20 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Too bad you don't like the naming standards.  

You can't be that obtuse to not see the issue with calling something the (insert ethnic name here) flue.  In times of uncertainty people look for someone to blame.  

Mar 31, 20 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

^ hence all the Trump bashing, no?

Mar 31, 20 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

For "why" please see everything that follows "because.." in my above statement.

Mar 31, 20 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Blunt but good.

Mar 31, 20 2:03 pm  · 
1  · 
Volunteer

"WHO naming conventions"? The same WHO that named Robert Mugabe of Zimbabwe a "goodwill ambassador" after he destroyed that nation's medical care system, left it withoiut medicine, and the doctors and nurses unpaid? The same ass that did that, Tedros Ghebreyesus, is the current WHO director.

Mar 31, 20 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

virus - well Trump did handle this like a petulant child with a low IQ so he is to blame for how poorly the United States responded to the pandemic.

Mar 31, 20 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

A skylark?  That's hot.

Mar 31, 20 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Volunteer: ad hominem or whataboutism. Take your pick, it's too much to do both in one reply.

Mar 31, 20 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Just put a portrait of medical pioneer Mugabe on your wall for inspiration. You will feel better.

Mar 31, 20 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Bad decisions by people do not make good decisions by the same people bad.

Mar 31, 20 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

By your logic you love Trump.

Mar 31, 20 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

virus on a virus's virus? How many fucking sock puppet spam accounts do you need, Teeter?

Mar 31, 20 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

Wuhan Coronavirus is the correct name, following decades of established practice in naming conventions. Anything else is just Orwellian bullshit.

Mar 31, 20 7:42 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

only if you want to virtue signal that you're a right wing nutter. google can help you get to the CDC or WHO websites.

Mar 31, 20 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
revolutionary poet

oddly enough, the internet not being a reliable source for ethics or anything, it's mainly white people argueing about what to call this virus. talk about guilt.

Mar 31, 20 8:35 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i knew Judge Smails would be back to MAGA!

Mar 31, 20 8:43 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

First time I agree with Greg Wharton.

Apr 1, 20 12:47 am  · 
 · 
tduds

I think we should call it the Ching Chong Ding Dong Flu.

Apr 1, 20 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^Tduds, that's a great idea but only if you pull your eyes into little slits while you say it.

Apr 1, 20 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Oh right, thanks for the reminder.

Apr 1, 20 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

I prefer "Commie Cough". ;-)

Apr 1, 20 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Didn’t someone from trumps office call it “Kung Flu” ?

Apr 1, 20 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Covid 19 is a terrifying name. It’s too sci-fi.

Apr 1, 20 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

"COVID" is also really super-racist.

Apr 1, 20 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

You are an idiot.

Apr 1, 20 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Should be called the COmmunist VIral Disease of 2019

Apr 1, 20 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

You are also an idiot.

Apr 1, 20 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Still want to appear woke for the sake of the horrible regime in china, go ahead Pete:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news...

Apr 1, 20 6:03 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

You're all so bad at this.

Apr 1, 20 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Suggesting we don't ridicule Chinese people is not the same as defending the Chinese Communist Party. If you can't separate those, I can't in good conscience treat you like an adult.

Apr 1, 20 6:25 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

Folks here in this thread don't seem to be able to distinguish: thinking that calling it Wuhan Coronavirus is racist, for instance, which is either dumb or mendacious. Possibly both. While at the same time, the CPC has been pushing hard to lean on groups such as the WHO and US media orgs to whitewash their responsibility for it. Hence the bizarre neologism like "COVID" to disguise the fact that the virus originated in China.

Apr 1, 20 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

This is the fucking 'Classical Architecture' argument all over again. 

It's not that [x] is racist, it's that the use of [x] is associated with groups who incite racist behavior and xenophobic violence and by insisting on using [x] you're giving cover to those people. 

"Wuhan Coronavirus" is also a neologism, FWIW, and one based on a standard outside of the one agreed upon by the epidemiological & medical community. If anything, it's as new as the virus, whereas "COVID-19" is based on a convention published in 2015.

The need to assign 'blame' is, at best, sophomoric and, at worst, actively harmful to people trying to create solutions.

Apr 1, 20 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

If you are getting your panties in a twist over people saying "Wuhan Coronavirus" instead of some bullshit, Orwellian acronym that obscures more than it illuminates, then you need to reevaluate your priorities in life. And it's still "Wuhan Coronavirus" no matter what WHO political hacks say about it.

Apr 1, 20 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Grow up, old man.

Apr 1, 20 7:34 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

My panties are quite un-twisted. I'm just giving you information and you're choosing to reject it for... I dunno your own smug satisfaction? I literally can't think of a reason why it would matter to you to keep using the wrong terminology but go on.

Apr 1, 20 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

I'll just leave this here https://www.who.int/topics/infectious_diseases/naming-new-diseases/en/

Apr 1, 20 7:36 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

LMAO at referencing a WHO document rationalizing WHO's Orwellian political cover for China. Surely you can do better than that. These are the same people who said there was no human-to-human transmission of Wuhan Coronavirus just a couple of months ago and refuse to comment on Taiwan's success in controlling the outbreak there, because it might make their masters in Beijing angry.

Apr 1, 20 7:53 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

I guess Indian news media are racist and wrong for calling it Wuhan Virus too? https://twitter.com/seven2tall/status/1244082027021750273

Apr 1, 20 7:54 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Yep.

Apr 1, 20 9:12 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Since the first US case and the first US death were both in the Seattle area I'm gonna call it Seattle Disease.

Apr 1, 20 9:16 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

So Tduds is to blame?  I'm calling it Tduds Syndrome now.

Apr 1, 20 9:22 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Avoid people from Seattle they might have the disease.

Apr 1, 20 9:24 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

If Eddie Vedder knocks at my door, I'm still gonna let him in tho.

Apr 1, 20 9:30 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

food for thought:

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2020-03-28/why-disease-and-xenophobia-go-hand-in-hand?sref=H6ddn91U

i'll add that lyme disease, spanish flu, and norovirus (common diarrhea) are all named for places. but no one blames the residents of those localities for originating a disease.

it's the notion of using a name to blame an entire group of people for a calamity that afflicted them which is repugnant. the misnomer also helps cover up the obvious fact that despite the added benefit of advance warnings very few other governments did an adequate job providing protection.

the uncomfortable truth is that some dangerous things are within our ability to understand and predict but beyond our capacity to prevent. once this is done there'll always be climate change to succumb to.

Mar 31, 20 12:59 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

“Do not use terms such as ‘Chinese Virus’ or other terms which cast either intentional or unintentional projections of hatred toward Asian communities, and do not allow the use of these terms by others,” the university tells students and faculty, insisting that all members of the campus community refer to the virus as only “COVID-19” OR “coronavirus” in all “oral and written communications.”  University of California

So, the University of California is telling it's students and faculty what they can and cannot say and encouraging students and faculty to stop others from expressing their opinion as well. "We will tell you what you can say and you will enforce our opinion on others as well" seems to be the message. Straight out of 1984. 

Mar 31, 20 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Link or GTFO.

Mar 31, 20 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Oh fuck off.

Mar 31, 20 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

v This goes ^ here

Mar 31, 20 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

Oh fuck off.

Mar 31, 20 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

"Led by the incomparable Ben Shapiro, The Daily Wire is a hard-hitting, irreverent news and commentary site for a new generation of conservatives." 

Bless your heart.

Mar 31, 20 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

Oh fuck off.

Mar 31, 20 6:25 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

they're teaching their students the international standard set by the wor ld health organization in the same way they teach math and physics because they aren't uneducated rubes.

Mar 31, 20 6:41 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

^head nodding vigorously

Mar 31, 20 7:36 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Last one, I promise.

Apr 1, 20 11:51 am  · 
 · 

Sneaky wins the internet again today. You all better step up your game.

Apr 1, 20 11:57 am  · 
 · 

For those of you getting bothered by the document from the University of California, I've highlighted the important parts for you to focus on...

Apr 1, 20 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

A++ sneaky

Apr 1, 20 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

LMAO @ "Council of Chief Diversity Officers"

Apr 1, 20 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

there is no 'disciplinary action' in that document, and it's not a law. Rick why are you trying to censor the council of diversity officers?!?

Apr 1, 20 2:57 pm  · 
 · 

pssst ... SneakyPete. ^ this is a good one to run your magic on.

Apr 1, 20 7:31 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

OK, I lied about my promise.

Apr 2, 20 11:52 am  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

be an up-stander, not a down-kneeler!

Mar 31, 20 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

Holy shit... there's an entire council of diversity officers... when is that convention...

Apr 1, 20 2:45 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

be non-poster, not a spam-maker!

Mar 31, 20 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

Please try to be as clear as possible in online conversations. Don't assume that broad, sweeping statements will be fully understood.

Mar 31, 20 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

That's perfect irony coming from you.

Mar 31, 20 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

Hey you, be inclusive and remember that everyone has different circumstances! Continue to treat everyone with respect, both in their presence and in their absence. Do not resort or revert to unkind discussions about people, individuals or groups who may not be in your immediate social circle.

Mar 31, 20 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

I'll keep that in mind if you ever start making the rules.

Mar 31, 20 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

Okay SP, just remember to practice self-care! Recognize your own stress, manage yourself before managing others, and make time for your physical and emotional needs.

Mar 31, 20 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
revolutionary poet

oh dear petey, I'm over here.

Mar 31, 20 8:47 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

and i am here ^, there >, and everywhere v

!!!

Apr 1, 20 6:38 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

China concealed extent of cases.  The Chinese regime cannot be trusted.  We need to maintain a travel ban with mainland China for a long time after this crisis is over here.  This can’t happen again.  

Apr 1, 20 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

It will. Think about all the profit your private medical sector will make.

Apr 1, 20 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Let me ask you, in Italy and Spain don’t you think this is draining their public health care system same way? There is nothing such free. Private or public, both have expenses derived from an economy. Both can become bankrupt.

Apr 1, 20 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

because the US's system is a great benchmark to compare others too... right?

Apr 1, 20 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Who is the benchmark?

Apr 1, 20 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Don't know, but your name is certainly not in the running.

Apr 1, 20 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

The "Nothing is free" point that halfwit libertarian types love to throw around is so dumb. No one is saying things are free, so saying they aren't like it's some kind of checkmate just shows how little you comprehend the society we're trying to build.

Apr 1, 20 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
chuckluck

lmao

Apr 1, 20 10:11 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

The “nothing is free” point acknowledges that even a communist country relies on goods and capital. A poor communist country will have a poor health care infrastructure. Even commies have bills

Apr 2, 20 12:34 am  · 
 · 
tduds

Again, no one is disputing that.

Apr 2, 20 11:33 am  · 
 · 
square.

it's not all about money.. it's about the ability to coordinate not only with other states, but even hospitals within the same state and city. nyc is a shit show and only beginning the process of intercity hospital coordination. this would already be in place with a public health care system. it's easy to try to gaslight with words like "free, socialism, etc." but the facts are the facts.. the fractured health care system in the US in a nightmare for a situation like this.

Apr 1, 20 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

The quality of health care in the US is high. The insurance bs sucks.

Apr 1, 20 3:29 pm  · 
 · 

What good is the quality to the person who can't afford it because of the insurance bs?

Apr 1, 20 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Right, but the hospitals aren’t turning people away. I’m guessing the government is going to have to negotiate some bill to pay this off.

Apr 1, 20 4:10 pm  · 
 · 

How many people aren't going to the hospital because they don't think they can afford the healthcare for a myriad of reasons; under insured, high deductible, just lost their job and also their insurance, no insurance regardless of employment status, etc?

Apr 1, 20 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

I dont think anyone i avoiding the doctors and hospitals at a time like this. In my years of experience taking family to various ERs around town, there are at least 4 out of 10 people that do not have any insurance but come to the ER even for trivial shit. I dont think not having insurance stops them from coming in.

That said, the fractured insurance/hospital system is definitely one of the reasons, I think that things are slow in places like New York. Each hospital has various hoops to jump through and different systems to address, which is a nightmare. The for-profit healthcare system we have right now has all but ensured that we dont have the proper system at a time like this.

Apr 1, 20 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

"I’m guessing the government is going to have to negotiate some bill to pay this off." 

Or they'll just cut pay & benefits to maintain profitability.

Apr 1, 20 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Ya. The insurance system sucks. We do have very good hospitals and research institutions. Need to create a global response system after this. A NATO to fight pandemic

Apr 1, 20 6:27 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Not just track them, but a global network to quickly extinguish the next one.

Apr 1, 20 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

Agreed that healthcare is in a dire state right now and affordability is as big an issue as housing, but it's hilarious (scary actually) that anyone thinks government managed healthcare is the answer... People who work for the government mostly don't care about anything except their retirement. Want hospitals to be open 9-5, m- fri, give em to the government. And to make it more complicated, the government is the epicenter of redundancy and bifurcation... think, CIA, NSA, FBI, Secret Service, HSA, DEA, ATF, etc... etc... etc.. the world you're dreaming of is utopia and the government is the wrong entity to even try it.

Apr 1, 20 6:45 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

I really don't care who runs hospitals, the problem is the profit motive. If you can find someone who will run unprofitable but necessary services other than the government, please let me know.

Apr 1, 20 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
revolutionary poet

[so this is the 'I am an architect and I have opnions thread'?]

Don't forget lawyers. There ought to be a law, if you check-in to a hospital you can't sue. It's just the risk you take to have your life saved.

Apr 1, 20 7:30 pm  · 
 · 
archi_dude

The local VA hospital bought a 500k MRI machine to help with lung scans and left it out in the rain last week under a tarp. Its ruined. 2 of the head nurses that deal with coordination of staffing and resources have gone on 3 week vacations because they requested it earlier and are entitled to their time off. They are in fact stealing supplies but none of them can be fired. Theres your
government run healthcare.

Apr 1, 20 8:03 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

wurdan, marines and seals work for the government. the government put a man on the moon. the internet was created in large part by the government.

Apr 1, 20 8:07 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

our hospitals are gov institutions and are nothing like wurdan describes.

Apr 1, 20 9:14 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

You do realize that you can’t have metal near an MRI?

Apr 2, 20 12:29 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^you do realize who you're asking that question to?

Apr 2, 20 12:31 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

You do realize that only applies to magnetic materials, right? And very, very few implant grade materials are magnetic.

Apr 2, 20 12:47 am  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

Saying the government is the best option for healthcare is saying that you want Trump to be in charge of your healthcare... cause he would be. is that really what you want?

Apr 2, 20 7:46 am  · 
 · 
square.

"People who work for the government mostly don't care about anything except their retirement."

Apr 2, 20 9:09 am  · 
 · 
square.

this is a lazy generalization that i was going to reply to but it's too dumb. anecdotes aren't arguments.

Apr 2, 20 9:23 am  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

You're square

Apr 2, 20 9:42 am  · 
 · 
square.

truth

Apr 2, 20 9:46 am  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

to POWER!

Apr 2, 20 11:43 am  · 
 · 
tduds

of 2.

Apr 2, 20 11:44 am  · 
 · 
tduds

Get it?

Apr 2, 20 11:44 am  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

Got it. Good 1!

Apr 2, 20 11:52 am  · 
 · 
revolutionary poet

Fear Not Sports Fans, Belarus don't give a f*ck

Fan groups 'plan Belarus Premier League boycott' due to ...

https://www.bbc.com/sport/foot...

Apr 1, 20 7:15 pm  · 
 · 
Featured Comment
wurdan freo

Just bought one of these so when someone comes to try and take one of my 2000 rolls of toilet paper I can stick it up their ass...

Apr 2, 20 7:49 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

your country is broken.

Apr 2, 20 7:52 am  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

​you know non... I watered my succulents today. They're doing great. I propagated them from a hillside in east la during my last trip there... man I love that town. I drove them back to Denver over the course of two weeks and bought some new pots for them. Set them in free draining soil and watered them about once a week. Almost a year later they are thriving on my window sill.

Apr 2, 20 9:48 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Yeah. Also those style of mag fed shotguns don't work worth a damn.

Apr 2, 20 9:48 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I'm mostly reacting to the slogan under mossberg. eugh. That banana-style mag looks silly.

Apr 2, 20 9:55 am  · 
 · 
revolutionary poet

I have a 3D printer, need any parts Wurdan?

Apr 2, 20 10:09 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Not only dose it look silly but it's not fictional. The size of the mag causes it to get knocked around and the shotguns receiver isn't designed to take the stress so the action jambs - a lot.

As for the slogan, yeah it's rather dickish.  

Apr 2, 20 11:06 am  · 
 · 
tduds

Give em the Heston Bidet, wurdan.

Apr 2, 20 11:37 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Looks like someone played Doom, or Quake, and decided to make something that looks scary, but doesn't do much.

Apr 3, 20 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

That's hilarious Tduds... LMAO... 

again I'm going to lobby for archinect to create a series of designer emoji's that would be cool enough for this site... make it a student competition... they're not doing anything right now... LOL (see... how dumb is that, LOL...)

Apr 3, 20 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

https://www.npr.org/2020/04/05/827692672/report-pentagon-aware-of-possible-coronavirus-threat-for-years

These CUNTS could have built lots of ventilators for the cost of one fucking fighter jet.  

Apr 6, 20 2:07 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

you guys can do a lot for the cost of most of your military expenses. What's your point? M'urica needs shiny new murder toys to keep the Queen from invading.

Apr 6, 20 6:03 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

i don't think we're worried about the queen invading anymore. the duke and duchess of sussex live in LA now.

Apr 6, 20 9:13 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

My point is that their job is to defend the nation. That’s what we pay tax for. They use to money foolishly. It’s one thing to say “we didn’t see this coming”. It’s another to see it coming (which every half wit always knew was a possibility) and do nothing to prepare.

Apr 6, 20 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I think it's cute you think your military spending in done "to defend the nation".

Apr 6, 20 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

I’m shocked that there wasn’t some national protocol to quickly react to this. Should have stopped travel from China the first hint we got of a new virus. There needs to be some kind of automated system that grounds flights instantly in the future. Those commie fucks knew about this for a while, covered it up, lied about the extent, whacked doctors, and let 5 million People from Wuhan travel around the world. This should show that world that communist regime’s cannot be trusted. The US and EU was not prepared for this. Fortunately, we seem to be making some progress. Now I seriously worry for the third world where they completely lack a healthcare infrastructure...

Apr 6, 20 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

After this is over, US needs to completely cut China off from our economy imo. We need to make stuff here again. Especially essentials like medical supplies, drugs, etc. Rant over

Apr 6, 20 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Get ready for everything previously made in China to coast 5x the current price then. It's a global economy.

Apr 6, 20 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

jla-x - there was a protocol in the United States. The pandemic response team was in charge of it. Trump disbanded it.

Apr 6, 20 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

jla -x - our moron government knew about the virus and what was actually happening in China since November 2019. Our government lied about it, covered it up, and downplayed the threat for political gain.

Apr 6, 20 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Mark your calendars, I agree with jla today.

Apr 6, 20 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

I don’t doubt it.

Apr 6, 20 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

As for cost...good. Then maybe we’ll slow over consumerism and the environmental degradation that goes along with it. China and the US together have created an Economic system based on cheap goods, throw away shit...hopefully planned obsolescence will go away with the increased price points.

Apr 6, 20 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

we need an updated, decentralized, digitized 21 century industrial revolution imo. Been saying this for years and years.

Apr 6, 20 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Those murder toys are not for keeping others from invading but to do the invading...

Apr 6, 20 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

For once I agree with jla too. This kind of over-reliance on China is dangerous

Apr 7, 20 11:24 am  · 
 · 
revolutionary poet

the irony or the humor, Capitalism needs a Communist Regime to run factories for our lust as consumers...kind of like Mexico needs to traffic the drugs to us....

to JLA-x points, apparently Tom Cotton had an opinion on this in late January and Bush even had an opinion in 2005...nevermind Bill Gates in 2015...see links

Apr 7, 20 4:54 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: