Archinect
anchor

How to make my portfolio smaller

Frank_Lloyd_Wrong

Hi everyone,

I know this is a silly question, but I really need to save my digital portfolio as a smaller pdf.  It is currently at 30,500 KB.  What is a reasonable size to send to firms when looking for a job?  I had the file in Indesign, and I have tried making the links smaller (i.e. saving renders as smaller image files, etc). but it is still way too big.  Please help!

Jan 21, 20 10:37 pm
joshconard

When you export out of Indesign, check your export settings. You should be able to reduce the size at that point. Have you used the "Reduce File Size" in Adobe Acrobat? That should help too. 

You could also export the PDF pages as individual JPEGs, then recombine the JPEG sheets into one file. That can reduce the file size as well.

If none of that works, get it as small as possible, even if it has poor quality. In your email to the firm, let them know that a larger file is available for download from a box site and give them a link to a secure box account.  

Jan 21, 20 11:24 pm  · 
 · 
Archlandia

+1 for the acrobat method. I reduced mine from 14MB to around 4MB

Jan 22, 20 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
Archlandia

Also, make sure to flatten your photoshop files (save a copy of the layered one) and then export to PDF/PNG/JPEG etc... seems to help

Jan 22, 20 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
kk.ipek

Hi,

Export your indesign file as a medium sized png. first, and then export it as a pdf. You can reduce a 30mb file to a 3-4 mb file without compensating the quality too much. 
Hope this helps!

Jan 22, 20 3:46 am  · 
1  · 
Daniaaburouss

This is the only advice that worked for me so far! thanks a lot.

To preserve the text quality, this can be taken one step further by turning off the text layer before exporting the png, then importing the pngs onto the same file with the text, and finally exporting to pdf.

Aug 10, 21 9:19 am  · 
 · 
monosierra

1) SmallPDF.com

2) Print PDF to PDF

3) Change embedded vectors to images

Jan 22, 20 11:21 am  · 
 · 
natematt
First, try printing to pdf out of indesign rather than exporting.

How many pages is your portfolio? Half the time people ask these questions they are trying to compress a 90 page pdf to 10 mb, which will never work well hahah
Jan 22, 20 11:24 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

small is cool but 4" x 4" is the smallest that I would recommend

Jan 22, 20 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
Archlandia

Put "Mirco P..." on the front and "..ortfolio" on the back.

Jan 22, 20 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
Frank_Lloyd_Wrong

Thank you for all the suggestions everyone! I will try these out.  My portfolio is about twenty pages, 8.5" x 11".

Jan 23, 20 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
architecture?

Whats the difference between reducing file size and advanced optimization in acrobat in terms of quality/size? 

Jan 1, 21 10:20 pm  · 
 · 
hellion

You can also try downsizing your images' dpi in the "Compression" tab in the export/print options. Retain the "High-Quality Print" option, but change the dpi of the images to around 72 - 100. 

Jan 1, 21 11:21 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

shrink your portfolio to the size of a stamp and output to 72dpi, you should be just fine...or cut your pages in half literally and discard of half the info, be creative! Or send hard copies and go old skool, if they have a fax, fax your portfolio!

Jan 2, 21 9:40 am  · 
 · 

Another option when it's possible is to host your portfolio on your Archinect page and hyperlink it to your resume or cover letters. AEC people hate downloading huge files.

Aug 10, 21 11:31 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: