Archinect
anchor

The Future Architect

Luca1

To those hesitant in pursuing architecture. 

I live in downtown, wear a signet ring every day, and drive a 1970 Karmann Ghia. I am in my late 20’s. I'm very independent and not necessarily looking for a career change. I am only interested in becoming a better person. I grew up in my family’s contracting business and remember visiting job sites at 13. My mom always wanted me to be an architect, and I turned the other way because of that. I started working instead of going to college. I worked in fashion for most of my adult life: Nick W**ster, Haider Ackermann, The Gigi, Saint Laurent. Fashion introduced me to home: Kelly Wearstler, Georg Jensen, Baccarat, Brian Thoreen, Knoll. I then left fashion and got into decorative plumbing and hardware. I got introduced to fixtures, hardware, and anything that involved water. I started working with interior designers and architects. Unfortunately, things did not go as planned so I left and became a “design consultant” at a furniture/design store. We do kitchens, bathrooms, and any furnishings you can think of. I work in the design world and with the direct client. Working with interior designers and architects humbled me down, but it only motivated me. I got rid of my ego. I started meditating to clear my head as much as possible. I then began to realize that architecture will help me achieve one thing, bring a creative thought to life. It can be a building, a house, an art piece/ sculpture, a fixture, a restaurant, or a kitchen. I will be able to design the home my future wife and I live in. I will be able to create the world my children grow up in. An architect can have several different meanings. I am starting 2020 with a clear head. I work 40 hours a week and go to school. Yes, at 27, I have decided to return to school and become an architect. I just finished my first winter-mester class and will start five additional classes on the 21st — two of them being design classes and the rest online. I have adjusted my work schedule around school. Not only will this help me achieve my personal goals, but it will also help me be more successful at work. I have predicted that this will take me around seven years to complete. I know this will be a long journey, but why set a time frame for who you want to be in life?  

You can do it. 

Jan 13, 20 10:44 am
Non Sequitur

#humblebragnot

Jan 13, 20 10:50 am  · 
 · 
leonizer

i cringed.

Jan 13, 20 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
Luca1

Continue.

Jan 13, 20 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

"A future architect"

Jan 13, 20 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

"I got rid of my ego." This thread suggests otherwise.

Un-cynically, I am excited for architecture school and your future internships to 'humble you down' a little more. You're young & enthusiastic and that's great but your sense of importance here borders on unrealistic. Get ready for the gut-punch. Take it and learn from it. There may be hope for you yet.

Jan 13, 20 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
Luca1

Thank you for the kind response. This is my first online post ever and may not always be grammatically correct, but what I do like is that I am seeing some reactions. I find that people here do lose that enthusiasm, so I wanted to post something positive for a change. I will only thrive from honest feedback. Keep it coming :)

Jan 13, 20 2:23 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: