Archinect
anchor

Chicago's Tribune Tower reuse

Volunteer

The 1922 neo-Gothic Tower is being converted to residences according to an article in today's Wall Streeet Journal. (Renderings shown below. Only top of building shown in exterior image)

Jan 7, 20 7:04 am
Non Sequitur

I like chicago.  I need to go back.

Jan 7, 20 8:14 am  · 
 · 
midlander

good, wonderful building and better to have it used by people who will love it.

Jan 7, 20 8:57 am  · 
 · 

Do you mean the 0.1% who buy or the developers who cash in?

Jan 7, 20 10:06 am  · 
 · 
tduds

Got a better idea, Miles?

Jan 7, 20 12:10 pm  · 
 · 

Housing for the homeless. Some 22k in Chicago. It’s inhumane that the rich are going to buy these apartments while people are sleeping on the streets and in shelters.

Jan 7, 20 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
Archlandia

ridiculous. why is this the responsibility of the rich?

Jan 7, 20 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
threeohdoor

How do you think they got rich?

Jan 7, 20 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

I reject the idea that it's a zero sum game. We need to fund housing for the homeless, but to put the homeless in *this* house ignores a lot of realities about the cost of renovating it. We could house 22k people in Chicago with other solutions, with public funding, for less money & easier logistics *and still* privately develop the Tribune Tower for rich folks.

Of course, whether there will be enough ultra rich to fill the tower after they're properly taxed is a consideration the developers will have to confront, I suppose.

Jan 7, 20 5:42 pm  · 
 · 

Don't hold your breath waiting for that.

Jan 7, 20 6:55 pm  · 
 · 

We should put the rich people in there.

Jan 7, 20 7:54 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

I'm pretty sure the developer already put a big chunk into the neighborhood opportunity fund for this renovation. I think they are doing an additional $10mil-ish for the supertall they want to build in the parking lot.

Jan 7, 20 8:16 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

there is no shortage of housing in chicago that could and should be allocated to those who need it - especially on the south side much of it is humane and beautiful. the question is management and paying for it. nonarchitectural problems, which as architects we're trained not to recognize.

Jan 7, 20 8:22 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Exactly. I'm thoroughly sick of people complaining about housing affordability in Chicago. You can rent a 2 bedroom for $600 in a decent neighborhood near transit!

Jan 7, 20 9:12 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

"You can rent a 2 bedroom for $600 in a decent neighborhood near transit! " Jesus Christ are you serious? I need to go cry a bit now.

Jan 8, 20 9:02 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

If you want to be on the North Side where it's so hip you'll pay $1500 or more. But there's a wide spread of affordable housing here across the neighborhoods.

Jan 8, 20 9:43 am  · 
 · 
tduds

"Don't hold your breath waiting for that." 

...I thought we were both proposing unlikely hypotheticals?

Jan 8, 20 12:40 pm  · 
 · 

That image of the residential lobby furniture just makes me sick to my stomach. I mean, yes, it's good to save material culture but all this grandeur used to house a quasi-public space that supported a deeply socially-invested enterprise. Now it's for rich people.

Jan 7, 20 10:48 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Are you certain that's the lobby? Might be the lounge up top.

Jan 7, 20 11:34 am  · 
 · 

I've been feeling this type of uneasiness with this type of reuse and I like the way you've stated it. Lots of old buildings that were solidly built have been getting adapted for reuse in various locations I've lived. It always pleased me to see the buildings getting used, but I never like the idea that it was simply for private development. I don't have the solution, but I'd be much happier if these types of buildings got used for schools or museums rather than condos.

Jan 7, 20 11:35 am  · 
 · 

You may be right, Sneaky. That does look like a balustrade through the window.

Jan 7, 20 9:46 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Not to undercut your larger point, which I agree with.

Jan 8, 20 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
Archlandia

Huge fan

Jan 7, 20 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

Unlike the Woolworth Building conversion in NYC, the unit layouts here look good.  The shape of the original floors and window size/locations allowed for good apartment layouts.  This one is my favorite: https://tribunetower.com/wp-co...

If the condo association bans AirBNB's and the like, it will be a nice building to live in.

Jan 8, 20 12:57 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: