Archinect
anchor

William G. Low House

kc2281

Does anyone know the roof pitch of the William G Low House,  Bristol Rhode Island?

Dec 17, 19 1:20 pm
drums please, Fab?

not sure, but looks pretty low.

Hey-o!

Dec 17, 19 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

No, but I'm pretty sure you can get a close enough number by scaling the picture... or looking at the elevation drawings.

lazy student is lazy.

Dec 17, 19 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
threeohdoor

Wiki says the gable is 140 ft long. Draw a 140' rectangle in Rhino, insert the photo, match perspective with camera, draw a triangle perpendicular to the rectangle, and drag the vertex up until you hit the ridge line on the photo.

Or count shingles. 

Dec 17, 19 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Printing out the above photo and using my junior high trig, I came up with a 18 degree angle up from horizontal at the ends with a 144 degree included angle (72 degrees * 2) at the top and a pitch of 3.7 to 12. If the gable is 140 feet long the maximum height above the gable line calculates to 21 feet, 8 inches exactly. 

Dec 18, 19 8:23 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

the lazy student remains lazy

Dec 18, 19 9:03 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

But egotistical architects still want to show off skills . . .

Dec 18, 19 9:52 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

junior high-school math is not really a skill worthy of showing off tho.

Dec 18, 19 9:56 am  · 
 · 
Thayer-D

Serves you right for showing off. Hope they have an ice shield.

Dec 18, 19 10:13 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

NS - all math is worth showing off - it's majic!

Dec 18, 19 10:17 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Chad, I guess it is these days... sad.

Dec 18, 19 10:20 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Just the higher math like computational sciences and fluid mechanics. The type of stuff where you can divide by zero and become your own grandfather (or grandmother).

Dec 18, 19 10:37 am  · 
 · 
thatsthat

This is a McKim Mead and White house.  There have to be historic drawings out there somewhere to work from.  Go to your school's library and see what you find in terms of documentation. 

Dec 18, 19 10:24 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: