Archinect
anchor

Portfolio review

Peterci

Hi everybody, 

I'd like to know which suggestion do you have for my portfolio for a job application. I already searched a in the forum for the most common suggestions, like adding sketches reducing the number of pages, avoiding profile pictures, using the 18 9 6 rule for the font etc...

Do you think that i need to put some details in a larger scale and increase the number of technical details? 

https://issuu.com/pietro_canova/docs/1910_prt_portfolio_pc_300ppi

Oct 26, 19 5:55 am
Non Sequitur

needs more dirty napkin sketches, less generic renderings, more technical details/solutions. 

Oct 26, 19 7:46 am  · 
 · 
Peterci

Ok thank you! Do you think that is better to change the actual sketches with some simpler ones? and I agree with technical details, the problem is that i draw quite a bit of details for other projects that I followed when the design was already decided or after a competition won before my arrival to studio, do you think that is better to remove a project and instead place another one with four/ five details?

Oct 27, 19 6:27 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

If you don’t have progress / concept dev sketches, then don’t create some after the fact. The point of these is to show your thinking process. There is also nothing wrong with adding a few good technical drawings without including a full project spread.

Oct 27, 19 7:33 am  · 
 · 
Peterci

Ok cool, I'll do it thank you!

Oct 27, 19 10:13 am  · 
 · 
tduds

"If you don’t have progress / concept dev sketches, then don’t create some after the fact."

I disagree with this (kinda) - sometimes it can be useful to do after-the-fact process graphics *if* (& only if) it visually represents your thinking process. Don't ret-con a parti into existence, but do make a clearer parti diagram if your diagramming ability has improved since you first dreamt up the design.

Oct 30, 19 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^yes, that is a good explanation.

Oct 30, 19 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Hell, this goes for renderings too. I re-rendered most of my projects while putting together my portfolio post-Masters. It's amazing how much better one can produce with the right amount of sleep and a softer deadline.

Oct 30, 19 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

My portfolio consisted almost entirely of hand-drawn pieces... only 1 undergrad and my thesis were digital. There is no redrawing those.

Oct 30, 19 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Nice. I can't hand draw to save my life. Outside of sketches I make to remind myself of things they don't really communicate much. I keep making resolutions to get back in the habit of sketching & then failing to follow up on that. Thankfully my wife is a phenomenal drawer / painter (low-key brag) who has promised to hold me accountable.

Oct 30, 19 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
joseffischer

Post-rationalization is fine, just don't get caught is basically what people are really saying.

Oct 31, 19 9:07 am  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Let me ask you something: what do you think is wrong with your portfolio? 

If you aren't getting jobs, it isn't becauae of your protfolio. 

If you aren't getting jobs, its probably because of your resume, visa/work eligibility concerns, or references. 

Oct 26, 19 9:25 am  · 
 · 
Peterci

You got it wrong, I finished it today and I'm asking for suggestion before sending it out!

Oct 26, 19 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Stop bragging with your portfolio on this forum. If you don't get hired it won't be because of your portfolio.

Oct 26, 19 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
Peterci

Ok, thanks for the feedback

Oct 27, 19 6:04 am  · 
 · 
OddArchitect

Don't listen to BB, he's just jealous.

Oct 30, 19 11:19 am  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Not jealous, just real. It is a nice portfolio, but this will not be the reaason why someone gets hired or not. Its about how well you can convince the unterviewer that the skills you demonstrate in your portfolio are transferrable into the work that firm does. This portfolio would be disregarded at firms looking for to fill technical positions. For "design" firms however, the portolio will be looked at for organization and presentability. It will also serve as an indicator of software skills. This portfolio does both well enough. However, this portfolio is definitely not a portfolio for intermediate/senior positions because it lacks indication of technical experience. Architecture is not just beauty... as Vitruvious would say....

Oct 30, 19 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Chill, Bubbles.

Oct 30, 19 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
Peterci

let's say that this one is a clear and pertinent suggestion. I will add one or two spreads, maybe removing the second interior project for the online applications and keeping everything on issuu, about technical details and solutions that, I developed only in projects already started when I joined the firms. Thanks for the post BB

Oct 31, 19 4:41 am  · 
 · 
Scent_of_a_woman

Think about impact. Start and finish with your best projects. Select the strongest image from these two projects and present them as first and last page, in large size, full bleed. That will leave a lasting impression. 

Oct 26, 19 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
Peterci

Ok good suggestion, i don't know about the full bleed render, do you mean increase the number of pages or squeeze / reduce the amount of material?

Oct 27, 19 6:06 am  · 
 · 
Cas Esb

nice portfolio! 

products are nice  layout could be less busy but its fine!

Oct 27, 19 10:31 am  · 
 · 
Peterci

Thank you!!

Oct 28, 19 4:36 am  · 
 · 
Koww

Everything you have is a teamwork. Do you have any original solo work you can include?

Oct 29, 19 12:13 am  · 
 · 
Peterci

You're right, thanks

Oct 30, 19 10:32 am  · 
 · 
midlander

Overall everything is clean and well described, effective designs. But nothing about it is memorable. I actually agree with Bulgar; for a seat-filling job at a large firm this portfolio will be sufficient to get you a job. No problems, you have all the fundamental skills for someone who just needs work done.

But it doesn't really have any character that would make me remember it a week later. And if you are looking for a more specialized position or firm, this doesn't show any specific strength (though your excellent sketch books make me think you might have more interesting ideas you didn't include because they're not polished- maybe try that?) there is probably too much space used right now for site diagrams and concept diagrams that are fairly generic and do nothing to make the projects  clearer or more interesting. just edit them out.

The question is what kind of job are you trying to get, and in what kind of firm. If you want a technically oriented role, obviously more detail and thoughts about construction would help. If you want a design role, more vivid presentation of the designs would help, and focus only on the distinctive works. Right now it's really too balanced, no single aspect of design made particularly strong.

Oct 31, 19 12:01 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: