Archinect
anchor

Sharing digital files with interior designer

daldezin

I'm a Certified Interior Designer, licensed by my state's Board of Architecture. I've been contracted by long-time clients to work on a new residence being designed by an architect in another (very distant) state. 

In my first conversation by phone with the architect, I requested digital files of floor plans and interior elevations. The guy's reaction was that he doesn't share his files, but then he softened a bit and seemed to say he would do it. I should note that due to foundation work being near completion he gave me  a week to provide information regarding locations of floor power outlets and a plumbing change which I said I wanted included. All I have at this point is an outdated 8.5x11 PDF of his floor plan.

The week has passed and still no files from the guy. In 35 years of practice and collaboration with architects, I have never been denied access to the necessary drawings. 

I need to have a good relationship with this architect for the next two years or so, and I think he should share the necessary files with a professional consultant who is contracted to collaborate on the project. In no way do I dispute his ownership of the drawings, I just want to do my work. thoughts?

Aug 30, 19 9:17 pm
SpontaneousCombustion

Unless his contract with the owner requires files of a specific type as deliverables, it's the architect's prerogative to provide the drawings in whatever format he chooses - and to provide them only to the owner if he chooses.  If he wanted to he could send the owner paper drawings only, and leave it to the owner or you to scan those. While some architects do refuse to provide digital files, or choose to provide pdfs only, many will provide digital files.  Sometimes the architect will require a signed agreement about the terms of use of those files - mostly to memorialize your understanding about the limits of the depth and accuracy of the information provided in those drawings. There is a standard AIA document for that purpose, but lots of firms have their own customized versions. 

If I were you I'd try politely request the drawings, tying that to your need to complete your work by a specific date, and copy the owner on that request.  Don't frame this as a threat or a deadline issued to the architect, as it's the owner's place to negotiate that.

Aug 30, 19 10:00 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: