Archinect
anchor

Thesis (URBAN VERTICAL FARM)

magstraight

Hello im a 5th yr architecture student, and my thesis proposal is about urban vertical farm.

my goal here is to supply the needs of the increasing population in the future here in metro manila, to be specific in quezon city, and I want to do it in a sustainable way through the use of either hydroponics, aeroponics or aquaponics.

Since it is too big to supply the whole metro or city, my target market is only within the vicinity of the site with a population of 30-40k and nearby commercial establishments.

Also I wanted to integrate a market below where the public has a common space and they could get their fresh produce there, and a research center in the building that would do research on how to make more yields or what other plants can be grown etc. and a training facility for those who want to learn and do vertical farming too.

So my questions are where should i focus on? and what technologies or methods could i use to lessen the use of energy but still producing at the same rate? and what challenges may i face? 

Aug 26, 19 2:23 pm
Non Sequitur

plenty of precedence for this available.  How about you take like 5mins and do some research?  This was a super hot topic 10-15years ago.

Aug 26, 19 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
magstraight

Thanks!. I'm new to this site, and I just wanted to know or ask opinion from others.

Aug 26, 19 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

Focus first on the framework (what's the thesis), then set parameters to work within (seems like you've set the market which then sets the production volume).  Most of the technologies to make the agriculture work exist, and have been proven; the information should be available.  You don't have to know the details, just that it works and to know how the system works enough to make sure the proposal looks 'real''.  More than likely how you integrate the rest of the program in an expressive way that supports the thesis that makes the project intriguing.

Aug 26, 19 5:35 pm  · 
 · 
magstraight

Thank you sir! will try to make the project more interesting.

Aug 26, 19 5:50 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: