Archinect
anchor

Would you disclose health issues in your resume?

gareth

I graduated two years and worked at a starchitect firm for 1 year. Then I took a gap year due to a health related issue.

I am applying for work again now and I was wondering if I should disclose my health issue in my resume.

Mentioning the issue I had explains the 1 year gap in my resume, however I am concerned that employers might view this as a risk and not consider my application, as they might think that I will not perform well or even leave the job in case I have health issues again.

What would you do in this case?

Aug 26, 19 11:51 am
SneakyPete

Leave it off and talk about it in an interview if asked.

Aug 26, 19 11:57 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

+++++

Aug 26, 19 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
gareth

I thought about leaving it off, but I was worried I would not be selected for an interview due to the gap.

Aug 26, 19 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
joseffischer

In America at least you specifically shouldn't do this.  Putting a health issue in writing puts the company in a precarious position, because if they interview you and decide not to hire you, then you can come back and "blame it" on the health issue you disclosed.  They'd most likely throw your resume in the trash before an interview unless you were somehow amazing on paper and in portfolio.  If that's the case, you might as well not explain the gap at all.  Gaps aren't nearly as conspicuous as one might think.

Aug 26, 19 11:57 am  · 
1  · 
gareth

I was concerned that if I don't address the gap in my cover letter I won't get an interview.

Aug 26, 19 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

No.

Aug 26, 19 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Do not worry about the gap in your work history. 

One year is rather short.  If a firm would throw out your application because of the gap then they probably have a horrible office culture and isn't good place to work 

If you're asked about the gap in an interview then explain it.  

Aug 26, 19 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

This. Gaps happen. 

Nov 1, 20 1:52 am  · 
 · 
threeohdoor

I agree about not mentioning it on your resume. 

On a cheeky note, just change your time period from mo/yr to just year. 

For example:

Junior Architect, Kalamazoo, MI - 2016-2018

Superior Awesome Architect, Hawkins, IN - 2018-present

Gives you a 364 day window there...

Aug 26, 19 2:39 pm  · 
1  · 
gareth

I have done year to year but eventually was asked about exact dates of employment at the interviews. There is no reason in concealing the gap as a pre employment reference check (which very often happens before an offer is made) can reveal the gaps.

Aug 26, 19 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

Do not ever disclose any personal health issues on a resume or cover letter going to an employer in the USA.

Aug 26, 19 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
Jaetten

I'd only disclose if asked, and if it would affect your ability to do the job or  you require special adjustments for you to work.

Oct 30, 20 11:18 am  · 
 · 
apscoradiales

Well, one shouldn't apply for a job that you couldn't physically or mentally do. If you're missing a leg, you shouldn't apply for a site inspectors job if the job requires you to climb ladders. Just use common sense.

Oct 30, 20 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
apscoradiales

Medical treatment, and a change of careers.

Oct 30, 20 6:23 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

Specialize, and back off the work a bit.

Nov 1, 20 1:50 am  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

Never, unless I were seeking accommodation for a disability. Even then, I'd be more likely to bring it up in the interview rather than put it in writing.

Oct 30, 20 3:20 pm  · 
1  · 
OneLostArchitect

no

Oct 30, 20 7:59 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Tell them that you had a family issue to resolve and that you left on good terms with your previous employer. They are looking for reasons TO hire you, not reasons NOT to hire you. As soon as possible transition the interview to what do they need done in the office and determine if you can help them do that. 

Oct 31, 20 6:07 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: