Archinect
anchor

Alternative Carrer paths for newly qualified architect. Any advice?? :)

VlaVol

Hi all!

After spending some time browsing online on different career paths for architects, I found the forum here and though to give it a try! It's always helpful to get advise from fellow architects. 

I am a 28yo architect, licenced in the UK with experience in offices (mainly residential projects) for the past 4-5 years. 

Things I currently struggle with are: stressful working environment, low percentage of creativity (since you probably end up drawing your boss's ideas or preparing planning packages), strict working hours and dates (9-5 in front of a screen, few holidays), very basic salaries, slow progression, competitive colleauges.

However I'm very passionate about design and my brain works well in synthesis, creation of space, proportions and conceptual development. I already do very basically try other stuff like uploading some photos in Shutterstock and making my own earrings etc.  but I was hoping on advice for a way out of commercial architecture all together. 

The options I'm looking at are: 

1.teaching (have no idea how to get involved), 

2.urban analysis + research (I've read many books but never worked on - who do these researchers work for and what's the starting point?) 

3.concept or environment artist (for fantasy environments-would it take too long to specialize and learn the skills?)

4.freelance designs (or full time involvement) for socially aware projects (It was always my dream to do humanitarian architecture but cannot find practices that do that, unless you volunteer for 2 weeks in Africa )

Anyone with knowledge or advice on any of the above, or any ideas on how to deal with this architectural identity crisis, feel free to respond.

Thank you for reading.:)

Aug 25, 19 10:42 pm
3tk

There are a few threads asking similar question... might start by going through those?

Aug 26, 19 5:37 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: