Archinect
anchor

AIA

designermom

My current employer reimburses AIA costs. Is this organization worth joining (just so I can put AIA after my name)?

Jul 25, 19 12:38 pm

Define "worth" in terms of your question. 

If purely financial ... the firm is paying the dues so it wouldn't matter if you get anything out of your membership except AIA after your name. Flip a coin. 

Jul 25, 19 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
citizen
  1. The answer is yes if you seek a readily recognizable credential to distinguish yourself to useful people outside the profession (read: potential clients).  People inside the profession (the rest of us) have a wide range of opinions on this, ranging from yes to maybe to hell, no.
  2. If the boss will reimburse, what's the concern?
Jul 25, 19 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

By freakish coincidence, five minutes ago I had a short conversation which ended with an exchange of business cards. Mine just has my name, AIA, and other post-nominals. 

He said, "Oh, you're an architect, too."  Love or hate 'em, those three letters can be very efficient.

Jul 25, 19 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

If your state requires any CEUs for your license, AIA tracks (most of) them for you.

Jul 25, 19 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

If the firm is paying for it, why not?  Networking, public perceptions, and maybe some educational benefits could be useful.  Just don't join it thinking that it will be a vehicle for any meaningful reform of the profession.

Jul 25, 19 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

Also not bad for networking, in case you ever find yourself needing another job.

Jul 25, 19 7:30 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: