Archinect
anchor

Cognitive Design

15wedwards

I am writing a thesis entitled 'To what extent has cognitive design influenced the design of libraries in the last 10 years?' and have a strong idea on where I am heading with it.

I am curious to explore how buildings manipulate people psychologically and physically (i.e more light in a room theoretically leads to heightened moods or the positioning of escalators in order to force us to move around a shop in a strategically thought out way.) More specifically, as I found that this area is one that could be explored endlessly, I have decided to focus my reading to the evolution of Libraries over the last 10 years and was planning to look at a few case studies and how their rebuilds have been designed in a certain way to change how people behave in these spaces. 

My problem is that I am struggling to find texts that would enhance my thesis. I have a limited amount of resources and would much appreciate it if anybody has any recommendations on academic texts that correlate with my study. 

Additionally, anything that links to this thread in regards to sustainability and the effect that cognitive design has on the environment would also be useful (e.g. does designing to manipulate the user effect the efficiency of the building?)

Jul 6, 19 12:11 pm
( o Y o )

The term "cognitive design" is redundant.

Jul 6, 19 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
15wedwards

How do you suggest I pitch my research question instead?

Jul 8, 19 6:57 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

"the mental action or process of acquiring knowledge and understanding through thought, experience, and the senses aka design"

Jul 8, 19 11:51 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

was that topic given to you or did you come up with it by yourself?

Jul 6, 19 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
15wedwards

It was something that I decided to explore by myself.

Jul 8, 19 6:55 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

That’s rather hard to believe. I would think that if you would already have a decent foundation to pull from before committing to it. Anyways, try not limit yourself to only 10years of library history. Take 1000 years and see the progress. Fuck it, start with Alexandria and end with Kahn. That’s your research bracket. Now work on developing a real thesis statement. What you have is a weekend essay subject. Not a thesis.

Jul 8, 19 7:14 am  · 
 · 
15wedwards

haha, thank you. I was inspired to study the area when observing the school's own library. How people interact with such buildings and how they use them on such a frequent basis. Then, after further thinking, I flipped the situation and questioned rather than asking 'how do we interact with buildings' i considered 'how do buildings interact with us', more specifically, how are they designed to force and manipulate us and our interactions.

Jul 8, 19 7:20 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^so, building on that, how do libraries affect/manipulate us? Is there some sort of "big book" company that funds key library design architects to place certain collections or subject matter in more prominent locations? Is the scale of the space just so that other books get pushed into the shadows so that no one is tempted to peruse them?

Then flip the question again and make deliberate design choices in a new library design that effectively manipulates people to certain collections.  If you succeed, you can have full control on the information available to the peasants (think of yourself as the church from past centuries, minus the rape of children and whatnot).  You will be king (or queen).

Jul 8, 19 8:34 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

The thesis is what exactly?  Sounds more like a case study.  

Jul 6, 19 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

You need to dissect the ways that design affects cognition, and categorize it somehow, find evidence, then form a thesis that can be stated in 1-2 sentences, and applied to other projects.

Jul 6, 19 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Daylighting, natural ventilation, openness to outdoors, seating arrangements, materials, etc etc etc...it’s a loaded topic.

Jul 6, 19 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
15wedwards

Thank you!

Jul 8, 19 6:55 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Several very good books on the subject to start you off: "The Most Beautiful Libraries in the World" $42,98, "The Library: A World History", $52.71, and Massimo Listri: "The Worlds Most beautiful Libraries XXL" $129.05. 

One element that is almost universal in these libraries is one you did not mention: Art (including sculpture). Almost all of the architects went to extraordinary lengths to bring light into their libraries even though many were designing within a classical framework.  

Jul 8, 19 7:51 am  · 
 · 
15wedwards

Thank you! This is incredibly useful.

Jul 8, 19 8:06 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

^

Jul 8, 19 8:02 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I love the thought that the OP is struggling to find texts while researching the subject of libraries... If only there were a building with rows of books one could easily search.

Jul 8, 19 8:32 am  · 
 · 

1.Great buildings don't manipulate-they create a dialogue.

2.Why are you only looking for evidence that supports your idea?

Jul 8, 19 11:18 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: