Archinect
anchor

Computer People HELP

surprise_drug_test

Enrolled in the summer Making+Meaning workshop at SCI-Arc and they just posted specs for the computer that we would need. I am NOT a computer guy and merely have a 2014 macbook air. I am attaching a picture with all the specs below -- wtf does it mean? do i need a whole new setup or can i skirt by with my mac?

Please, explain it to me like i'm a first grader.

Jul 4, 19 3:38 am
Non Sequitur

what are you MB air specs? 

Doubtful it’s equivalent but you’ll definatively need to get up to speed with PC language.  

Jul 4, 19 6:04 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

As a follow-up... I'm pretty sure the early 2014 MB air did not have dedicated GPU and were typically i5 dual-core with 4mb RAM.

Jul 4, 19 9:14 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

there could be software from the uni that requires windows 

Jul 4, 19 8:55 am  · 
 · 
Archlandia

simply put - that setup they are asking you to bring will allow you to use 3d modeling programs without issue. Your macbook may run slow, especially when producing intricate models. It is a making + meaning course so you might be okay, but it depends on the software you will be using. Without that dedicated graphics/video card (GPU) you will notice limits in your machine. 

You might be able to plug in some more memory though and bring it up to like 16GB, might get you through this course if you can't swing a new machine. That is cheap and easy, just youtube that

Jul 8, 19 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
Archlandia

update... it's going to be a major pain for you to add memory.. I wouldn't recommend doing it in a macbook. PCs are easy because you can just plug a memory stick in. Download a trial of rhino or 3dsmax and see if your machine runs them after adding quite a bit of information in them. If it works, cool, if not you'll have to get a new machine.

Jul 8, 19 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

it's worse than that... OP has a MB Air. I don't think they were ever meant to be upgraded. Might as well try to run Rhino on a chromebook. Probably similar results

Jul 8, 19 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
Archlandia

So what you're saying is, it will freeze while trying to just download the program

Jul 8, 19 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I'm surprised browsing archinect is not causing it to overheat.

Jul 8, 19 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
Steeplechase

A MacBook Air is intended for light computing, not 3D modeling. You’re going to be straining that machine.

Jul 8, 19 5:47 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: