Archinect
anchor

Starting a specialized international competition architecture office only

morino suror

I am a fresh graduate architect ,i decided to create an architecture office specialized just  in international competitions ,It can be done financially?? can how to participate in large project competition for seniors architect ?and how to achieve a significant annual turnover

let the winners speak about their experience, especially after they won (any) competition....

May 29, 19 1:20 pm
tduds

It can work if you've got a fat trust fund.

Otherwise, slow your roll and get a job first. 

May 29, 19 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
morino suror

thanks

May 30, 19 8:05 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

This is not a viable business plan... unless mommy and daddy are paying all your bills.  How about you try working a real job and earning your way first, then chase competitions once you've build up a basic understanding of the profession.

May 29, 19 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
morino suror

thanks

May 30, 19 8:05 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

do you have a pritzker signature to go with that? 

Doesn't seem feasible, how would you pay your labor? plus, even if you win one competition, chances are you won't win the other 10 that are due the same day, so a lot of missed targets. And competitions always pay barely enough to cover your costs, the real money is in the building/project contract to completion, which would put your competition winning team down for a couple of years. 

any other ideas?

May 29, 19 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
morino suror

if the competition will cover the costs of my office is enough for me, I will seek other competitions greater to earn more because in any case, nowadays the exuction is not for architects, bim office consulting will do all.

May 30, 19 7:58 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

they may cover the cost... if you win. How are you going to pay your overhead and staff if you don't win?

May 30, 19 8:07 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

bim office consulting will do all? what does that mean? you just walk away from your winning project and let somebody else build it? You should just open another rendering sweatshop in china, architecture is not for you.

May 30, 19 10:42 am  · 
 · 
tduds

"if the competition will cover the costs of my office is enough for me" 

It won't. Competitions are, at best, a loss leader. At worst, just a loss.

May 30, 19 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
monosierra

MAD managed to do this in their early days. If I recall correctly, they spent two years on competitions only. Needless to say, the office was subsidized by outside finances - probaby family.

May 29, 19 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
morino suror

Thank you very much but for example winning a residential tour competition , we must as architecture firm hire a construction company ,bim consulting office to do all the work ? what is the in the case of the real project what are the graphic elements that I must provide to the construction company, just a model 3d architecture or I must provide the model 3D plumbing, masonry ect ...

May 30, 19 8:00 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

What do you need to provide? For fuck's sake... that's not how this works at all.

May 30, 19 8:08 am  · 
 · 
monosierra

Meycem, I would suggest working in an actual architecture office before embarking on any enterprise!

May 30, 19 9:34 am  · 
 · 
morino suror

Non Sequitur don't worry i have considerable experience in your local market, i am not that naive person, i just i want to collect the maximum divers of experiences on the international scale , so no need to Architects Supernovian response i am seeking a professional response as i mentioned above .

May 30, 19 10:01 am  · 
 · 
morino suror

monosierra thanks

May 30, 19 10:01 am  · 
 · 
poop876

If you do have 'considerable' experience, then why ask? You are clueless what an architect does!

May 30, 19 10:08 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Please outline your extensive experience in MY market.

· 
poop876

Non, he barely has any experience in Tunisia, let alone in your market, whatever that is!

May 30, 19 10:12 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^I know, I just glanced at his website/blog.

May 30, 19 10:14 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

hey, look at that, he now pulled his resume and blog link from his user name. That's too bad. Could have had some fun with those low quality renderings.

May 30, 19 10:26 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

of course it’s feasible!  Just get a job teaching at an Ivy League and hire free interns.  

May 29, 19 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
morino suror

Thank you :)

May 30, 19 8:04 am  · 
 · 
AlinaF

Sounds like a great way to waste your time. 

May 29, 19 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
morino suror

thanks

May 30, 19 8:04 am  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

Ideally, you should have both family money and an Ivy teaching gig.  The family money will be needed to pay your living and office expenses.  The Ivy teaching gig will be your pipeline for obtaining free/cheap student labor and access to powerful computers and model shop machines.

May 29, 19 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
morino suror

​if it take an Architecture 3d model with some details to send i can handle it .​ et quel sont les éléments graphique we must send (section,facade , details )​??

May 30, 19 8:03 am  · 
 · 
Steeplechase

So you plan to start an office but don’t actually know what an architect does?

May 30, 19 8:35 am  · 
 · 
morino suror

Steeplechase       don't worry i have considerable experience in your local market, i am not that naive person,  i just i want to collect the maximum divers of experiences on the international scale , so no need to Architects Supernovian response i am seeking a professional response as i mentioned above .

May 30, 19 10:00 am  · 
 · 
Steeplechase

If you actually had considerable experience in my local market and Non’s local market, then you would have experience on an international scale. But hey, you’re the next Cornu so why bother knowing what information you need to provide to win competitions and get them built.

May 30, 19 10:18 am  · 
 · 
( o Y o )

gotta love the naive optimism  

see how long it lasts

May 30, 19 8:38 am  · 
 · 
midlander

queries like this make me appreciate the intent of IDP in America and realize what the value of a license really is.

May 30, 19 9:48 am  · 
 · 
morino suror

that's why corbusier did get the american licence

May 30, 19 10:02 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Mid, you make a great point.

· 
morino suror

i mean did not

May 30, 19 10:18 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: