Archinect
anchor

door swings

ennisdavis

if an interior door is in a hallway without a lock could it be a left hand door AND a right hand reversed at the same time?

May 14, 19 1:30 pm
senjohnblutarsky

Like a double acting door or double egress?  You need to clarify what's being asked. 

Is it a single? A double? It could be that i've been staring at meeting minutes far too long today, but I'm not following a left hand and right hand reverse.  

May 14, 19 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

If it has a latch then it still has a "lock side", even if it doesn't actually have a lock.  The only way that a single left hand door could be the same as a right hand reverse would be if there's no latch at all and there's also not differing push and pull hardware (i.e. a completely  latchless door with lever or knob hardware on both sides).  In that situation (if I ever had that situation, which I doubt unless it's a closet, and even if it were a closet then I'd probably have some magnetic latch or something) I'd consider the hallway to be the "outside" and the room off the hallway to be the "inside" and that would determine which way I'd classify it. 

May 14, 19 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
ennisdavis

door #3. if you use the "butt" rule you would only get lh or rh. i saw someone mention on the net no difference between lh and rh rev, just where you are standing. so this one cant be egress from the work area because it swings in.

May 14, 19 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Looks like a shitty design anyways. Is that an office for ants?

May 14, 19 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

Egress doors are allowed to swing in, up to a certain occupant count (50 in most codes).  In an office space, where the occupancy is usually calculated at 100 sf per occupant, it's very common for office suites and open work areas to have in-swinging doors, because the total occupant count is small enough to allow that.  Door #3 most likely has a latch, even if no lock.  There is in fact a difference between lh and rh reverse - it depends on which is the "lock side" - and as I explained above, there is still a lock side if there's a latch, even if no actual lock.  The only way it doesn't make a difference is if there's no latch, and no hardware specific to a push side (there probably wouldn't be the latter in this case, because the occupancy is too low to require it, but there would almost certainly be a latch.)

I recall having a good, informative lunch and learn on this many years ago, provided by Ingersoll Rand or one of the other big door hardware companies.  I tried to explain it to you above but it doesn't seem to be making sense to you so you should probably get your rep to come do a session with you, with the diagrams they have for exactly that purpose.

May 14, 19 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
gibbost

Not sure I can offer you any help on the door swing.  Call up Assa Abloy for a lunch & learn.  They have 20 different presentations on this sort of stuff

Also, please tell me that the room labeled 'reception' is simply a vestibule.  I will lose sleep tonight knowing that an actual receptionist has to occupy that space for any length of time.

May 14, 19 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
eeayeeayo

once you draw in all the ADA clearances for the three doors you'll see the only furniture that could fit in "reception" will be a corner plant stand, or maybe an umbrella can - but not both.

May 14, 19 6:43 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

But what about egress through intervening spaces?

Also, yes, just draw the clearances for a forward approach, you'll see reception doesn't work.

May 14, 19 11:06 pm  · 
 · 

Never mind.

May 15, 19 9:03 am  · 
 · 
jeiffert

Schrodinger's door?

May 15, 19 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
oldwhitehouse

I'm assuming the public enters through Door # 4 , into reception. I'm also assuming that door #3 has a lock which is keyed on the reception side. In this case, door # 3 is a Left Hand Door. If there is no lock, it is still a left hand door. Door # 3 would only be a RHR if it is locked from the Work Area.

May 15, 19 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
oldwhitehouse

If the public is entering through work area, Door # 3 then would be RHR. The drawing isn't giving us enough information to call this doir LH or RHR.

May 15, 19 3:29 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: