Archinect
anchor

What is a Ratwall (Michigan)?

OneLostArchitect

Long story short drove down to a small town in Michigan. Doing a garage for family pro bono of course! The town requires at the bare minimum a rat wall for garage foundation wall... I have never heard this before? is this a thickened turndown at the edge of the slab condition in lieu of a foundation wall / footing? The person working the counter was of no help and have never heard of a rat wall before? 

May 12, 19 9:43 pm

1 Featured Comment

All 7 Comments

oldwhitehouse

I would check 

May 13, 19 7:19 am  · 
 · 
oldwhitehouse

How the heck do you delete or edit a comment on the site? I didn't mean to comnent "I would check" Sorry.

May 13, 19 7:21 am  · 
 · 
oldwhitehouse

But it seems a ratwall could be masonry, or even only wire mesh. I would check with the Town Building Department for what they require. 

May 13, 19 7:24 am  · 
 · 
Featured Comment
Non Sequitur

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.creaturecontrol.net/what-is-a-rat-wall/amp/

It’s essentially an anti burrow fence that extends below grade. We’ve had to do something like this as a way to prevent endangered turtles from a busy highway. 

May 13, 19 7:59 am  · 
 · 
mantaray
Crazy! I’ve heard “ratslab” a ton but never “ratwall”. Thanks for sharing!
May 13, 19 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
Jacq Arch

rat slab is a very thin layer of non-structural concrete poured over the dirt floor of a basement or crawlspace. As the name implies, it is intended primarily to prevent the intrusion of pests into the area below a building.

Google time: 10 seconds

May 16, 19 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
G4tor

The OP asked about a "ratwall". Good effort though, better luck next time.

May 16, 19 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
Jacq Arch

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.creaturecontrol.net/what-is-a-rat-wall/amp/

Google time: 3 seconds

May 16, 19 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Already beat you to it a few days ago.

May 16, 19 5:40 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: