What is the name for this general wood craftsmanship and the specific pattern?


These are very basic questions (bordering on rookie), but I've never known what to refer to this routed wood paneling as. Is there a specific name for what the image attached shows (the milled/routed wood on the walls)? How would I describe that to an architect or a builder? Are walls with that kind of pattern common of a specific architecture style? If i wanted to find more images of wood that looks like that, what terms would I use?

Also, would I even be correct in calling it wood paneling (I'm assuming wood panels are milled or cut with a router, then installed as panels on the wall; is that correct?)? 

Mar 26, 19 5:32 pm

1 Featured Comment

All 11 Comments


stile and rail?

Mar 26, 19 8:12 pm

Wainscot paneling, I think. It began as rudimentary insulation in stone wall houses in the UK that have a thing for being cold and damp.

Mar 26, 19 8:52 pm

It’s paneling.  In this case, it looks to me like it’s recessed flat panels with a frame molding of some type.  

Mar 26, 19 9:28 pm

Otherwise known as 'frame and panel'.

Mar 26, 19 9:56 pm

I just googled with “coffered wood paneling on wall“ and it showed similar images. 

Mar 26, 19 10:28 pm

Board and batten

Mar 26, 19 10:50 pm
Featured Comment
Wood Guy

Sorry tintt, that's not board and batten. B+B are vertical boards with the joints between boards covered with vertical battens (narrow boards). 

Taso, the term coffering may turn up images but only ceilings are coffered. 

The term wainscotting (or wainscot) is for paneling that covers the lower portion of the wall. 

Wood panels on a wall are called paneling, though the dreaded 1970s plywood product ruined the term. The type of paneling shown in the original image is frame-and-panel, as Myles said. The type of panel is flat recessed. The frame components are stiles (vertical) and rails (horizontal).

The transition between frame and panel is hard to see but looks like an ogee or ovolo. It is made using a cope-and-stick technique so sometimes it is called cope-and-stick, but there are various different cope-and-stick profiles. Another common transition is called square shoulder, or sometimes Shaker because Shakers used it regularly, but they also used cope-and-stick shapes. Another approach is to use a bolection molding, which projects in front of the frame.   

Mar 27, 19 9:19 am
Witty Banter

Thanks Wood Guy. These are the posts that keep me coming back.

Wood Guy

You're welcome. I'm a nerd for building terms. Language evolves, but it's useful when there is a specific name for a specific detail.

Wood Guy

Looking at it again, the difference in color makes me now think that a separate panel molding was used between the frame and the panel. There are different profiles of panel molding, usually similar to base cap moldings.

And one more term--if the edges of the frame components are milled, today it would very likely be done using a shaper, which is like a router but larger and permanently installed in a table. 

Wood Guy wins the internet today.


Thanks everyone, you've been a big help! Thanks also Wood Guy, I'd like to learn the specific building/architectural terms myself! Is there by chance a handy book or glossary of such terms? I always find myself at a loss to describe such things as well as certain design styles.

What would be the best way of creating such panels by oneself? I have very little budget restraints and am savy with 3D modeling to produce CNC ready models, so I am only wondering if that route is the best to take or if it would be easier some other way. What's difficult for me is determining from pictures what is all one piece and what is several different pieces put together (particularly when panels meet corners, pillars, angles, stone, and the floor or ceiling).

What would be the best way of making the green circled portion (assuming that's not part of the paneling)? 

What wood is best for such panels and about how thick should it be? 

Also, Im guessing there is no sheetrock/drywall typically behind such panels, or am I wrong? 

Mar 27, 19 5:40 pm
Wood Guy

I'd recommend getting this book: The author's an architect trained in traditional details. I'd also get a subscription to Fine Woodworking magazine from Taunton Press. The images you show are top-notch woodworking, and not easy to jump into, but not impossible either.


I think I will check out that book. Is there anything specific describing how that type of panel is made? I've been told that making them would be like making large cabinet doors. Is that correct? 

Mar 28, 19 11:28 am
Wood Guy

@usernameB, cope-and-stick panels are made the same as they are for typical, traditional-looking cabinet doors. But if you don't mind the look of a panel molding, for larger assemblies it's easier to first attach the panel to the wall (whether studs, drywall or other), then apply the frame components, then add panel moldings. Or you can skip the panel molding, but it's hard to get a perfect joint between frame and panel unless it's painted and you can caulk it. 

Here is a room I trimmed out, designed by others, but techniques were up to me. I used the technique above, with plywood for both the frames and panels, with miter-glued outside corners on the pilasters, and bolection-style panel moldings that cover the plywood edges of the pilasters. All African mahogany (Khaya and Sapele). 

Mar 28, 19 7:58 pm
Wood Guy

And here's the adjacent room, same technique. Plus I built a hidden storage area into the panel below the wall sconces, to the surprise of the owner. 

Mar 28, 19 7:59 pm

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

  • ×Search in: