Archinect
anchor

Does teaching count towards AXP hours?

samuelhill

I am a M. Arch candidate, and am independently instructing an AutoCAD course. Does this count as AXP hours? In what category? Thank you very much.

Feb 21, 19 4:42 pm

1 Featured Comment

All 6 Comments

archanonymous

NCARB spells out the categories and what can be applied to them very clearly on their website and the AXP/ ARE guide.

Feb 21, 19 6:44 pm  · 
BulgarBlogger

How can you be teaching if you don't read...God help your students...

Feb 21, 19 10:20 pm  · 
1  ·  3
starrchitect

The blind leading the blind.

Mar 28, 19 5:48 pm  · 

honestly this isn't am appropriate comment.

Sep 13, 23 12:35 pm  · 
1  · 
BulgarBlogger

Why not? Read the AXP guidelines. Where does it say that teaching counts? So if I come on this forum and ask a code question and run with an answer that is contrary to code, does that a absolve me following the code because some random stranger on Archinect told me so? Part of being a masters degree student is being able to discern between reliable and unreliable sources. But then again I’m just a licensed architect with a mere Bachelor (not Masters) of Architecture. What do I know?

Sep 13, 23 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
samuelhill

The reason I asked here is because it is not specifically addressed in NCARB's website. I have heard from licensed professionals that it can count, and I wanted to hear the community's opinion on the matter. But it does not seem like the community has much to offer.

Mar 28, 19 2:08 pm  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

Look under Experience Setting O. Does not appear that teaching drafting counts under "DESIGN OR CONSTRUCTION RELATED EMPLOYMENT"

Mar 28, 19 2:21 pm  · 
mlstlouis

So, if you're teaching architectural design, or construction-related courses...

Jun 30, 20 4:33 pm  · 
Featured Comment
eeayeeayo

This is an instance where NCARB's rules have changed, so it makes sense that you're hearing something different from already-licensed people than you're finding in the AXP guidelines.  Years ago there was a certain amount of experience that was allowed to be earned in the specific experience category of full-time teaching in an NAAB-accredited architecture school's degree programs.  (Instructing one AutoCAD course wouldn't have counted even then, because you had to be employed in teaching more than 20 hours a week.)

Teaching is not currently an AXP experience setting.  In "the old days" there were many different settings and categories.  These days there's just "Category A" for working in an architecture firm, and "Category O" for everything else. 

There are still certain tasks that are allowed to be earned in any "Category O" setting, which you might conceivably be able to earn while teaching - for instance if you were to attend a building tour as part of class trip, or work on a construction project that's part of the curriculum, or go to a seminar or film series that's been approved for AIA learning units, or something like that.  But there's no longer a way to just count teaching hours toward AXP.

Mar 28, 19 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

how can you teach without experience? lol 

Mar 28, 19 2:47 pm  · 
1  ·  4
starrchitect

Better yet, how can anyone teach architecture at a university level without being licensed first?Would a doctor without board certification be permitted to teach at a medical school?

Mar 28, 19 5:47 pm  · 
3  ·  4

actually you can teach quite well, since a Masters is required for teaching at a university. also being licensed doesn't make for experience that would benefit students, and not all licensed individuals should be teaching

Sep 13, 23 12:37 pm  · 

Not many unlicensed individuals should be teaching architecture. Especially studio classes.

Sep 13, 23 2:35 pm  · 
2  · 
msparchitect

No. Bulgar and Star's comments have more to do with one of the larger problems at University. Too many professors themselves are inexperienced. They're academics at heart and go from M.Arch to teaching. OK, that's kind of OK. But it's also perpetuating the profession in a time capsule of what it once was, but not what it is. So students are being taught "what the profession is" by people who themselves don't even know it. They live in a different world. Then, you get a plethora of graduates every year who show up looking for jobs, but struggle to be useful or financially worth much. Then they get upset that the world isn't what their professors promised. It's kind of lazy. And a racket to goto "architecture school" to be taught by... well not architects.

Sep 13, 23 2:42 pm  · 
3  · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

One of my best professor's for studio, was not a licensed architect, and he provided me one the best experiences I've ever had. Critically, esthetically and creatively.

Sep 13, 23 3:32 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Don’t think any of my undergrad studio profs had licenses but they did have killer teaching chops. You don’t get that anyone from fresh grads jumping straight into teaching without real life experience. Come to think about it, my only design prof with a license was the resident kook. Triple F was a favorite grade of his.

Sep 13, 23 7:20 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Music school isn't any different... a bunch of people who have never gotten anywhere teach...

Sep 13, 23 7:53 pm  · 
 · 
mlstlouis

Good lord.  What a bunch of a-hole answers. 

Jun 30, 20 4:32 pm  · 
2  ·  1
Non Sequitur

The answers are appropriate.

Sep 13, 23 7:17 pm  · 
2  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: