Archinect
anchor

Radon mitigation

Almosthip7

My local AHJ is demanding radon mitigation pits for the "possibility" there may be an issue "one day" in all our commercial projects.  Its crazy, in a shop with 6 pull through bays there is not going to be a build up of radon gasses.  

I think the lobbyist are out of control on this one.

Dec 12, 18 4:16 pm
Non Sequitur

I've seen a big increase in radon products & presentations in the last 2 years... as well as heavy marketing in all those dumb do it yourself home renovation shows.  My codes require passive radon mitigation in crawl spaces... which is easily achieved by placing a grille in the wall.

Dec 12, 18 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip7

I live in an area of Canada that Radon is not an issue. Its stupid. Even after presented with a standata that states its up to the professional to decide.

Dec 12, 18 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Are they asking for mechanical mitigation?

Dec 12, 18 11:32 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip7

No, they approved plans, now are coming back after the slab is poured wondering were is it. I agree its just a pit with poly, crushed fill and a pipe, but the slab has already been poured.

Dec 13, 18 10:40 am  · 
 · 
Almosthip7

On a 6 bay pull thru shop with slab on grade and the office portion on a structural slab.

Dec 13, 18 10:42 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

We've had AHJ ask for things after the permit docs are approved all the time... but always during construction. We would request in writing what code and or zoning regulation requires the radon dealie and, if they can't produce it in black and white, then issue a letter stating that since it is not a requirement, it was not installed.

Dec 13, 18 11:31 am  · 
 · 
Bloopox

Agreed it's crazy for a space with 6 regularly-used pull through bays.

But radon levels change, so in a less obviously constantly ventilated situation it's not so extremely crazy to design for possibility.  Ground saturation or freezing affects test results. So does wind.  On a longer-term basis settling of the building can change radon levels, as can surrounding construction, shifting ground conditions, changes in water levels and drainage.

The rock types here make my location prone to radon, so it's pretty normal for the AHJ to require it, though seems less reasonable if you're not in a place with as high a likelihood of excessive levels.

Dec 12, 18 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip7

I live on silty clay, way more concerned about heaving foundations than radon

Dec 12, 18 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

It's a hell of a lot easier to put it in now than it will be later...

Dec 12, 18 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip7

But that cost should be up to the client to decide. Pay a little now or a lot later. I would roll the dice on my 6 bay shop

Dec 12, 18 5:21 pm  · 
 · 

The local Authoraties are asking for it, I would consider how much time and money it would take to appeal this and possibly win them over and consider the lost time for the client's building and then compare that to the cost of complying with the radon mitigation. If you have a lot of potential expense to put this in then it might be worth fighting but if it is a small cost overall and delaying delivery of the building to appeal an AHJ's decision will likely (even if you win) cost the client more than the install of the radon mitigation system then it might be a good idea to put it in and move on. Fighting this might not ad value to the project, but if this is the type of project that will be repeated over and over again like a chain of stores then it might be worth it for the future savings of other projects.

Dec 12, 18 6:03 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

We've been doing it for all projects for about 10 years. 

Dec 12, 18 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
arch76

isnt this just a perforated pvc relief pipe and heavy duty vapor barrier under the slab on grade? do they have more onerous requirements?

Dec 12, 18 10:27 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

But if the slab on grade is already poured ...

Dec 13, 18 10:50 am  · 
 · 

Then I hope the architect in question has good insurance as this should have been a know requirement and the architect will be on the hook.

Dec 13, 18 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip7

I have a standata that states its up to the professional and the plans were already approved by the AHJ.

Dec 13, 18 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Are you not the professional?

Dec 13, 18 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip7

yes that is my whole point

Dec 13, 18 5:29 pm  · 
 · 

Ask the AHJ to look at the stamp on the drawings. Then ask them if it says their name. Then ask them who the professional is again.

Dec 13, 18 5:35 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

End of the day they either issue you an occupancy permit or they don't. If they don't, lawyers get involved.

Dec 13, 18 8:16 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

thank god for inspectors. They really save the day.

Dec 14, 18 12:20 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: