Archinect
anchor

Can you identify this building material?

lsgchas

Hi,

I'm an author working on a short story and am trying to describe the building where a character used to live. It has panels like in the attached photograph. What would you call panels such as these and what are they made from? Vinyl?

Thanks,

Lee

Nov 23, 18 7:42 pm
Non Sequitur

it’s a shitty picture but could be backpainted glass cladding in line with the aluminum window frames. 

Nov 24, 18 12:22 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Just to be pedantic, if it were glass it would be 'ceramic coated spandrel glass'. 'Backpainted glass' is also a thing but the process is only appropriate for interior applications.

Nov 27, 18 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

We've done both... and have had some quality issues with the ceramic frit products recently... but yes, BP is typically interior only.

We now only specify opaci-coat 300 (50/50 silicone & water base coating) for "back-painted" glass cladding.

Nov 27, 18 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Ah, I always forget you guys need to source everything from Canadian Tire eh? Spray applied silicone is probably easier than heat fused ceramic coating if everything is shop assembled in an igloo.

Nov 27, 18 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Conditions are perfect in igloos.

Nov 27, 18 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

You're the author so change the material to anything you want it to be.

Nov 24, 18 5:04 am  · 
 · 
z6jbishop

I would guess some sort of aluminum panel. They are sometimes called ACM for aluminum composite panel, meaning they have some type of insulation beyond. 

https://www.arconic.com/aap/no...

Nov 26, 18 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

grass and leaves

Nov 26, 18 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

If it's a fairly recent building, it's probably something similar to a MAPES panel. 

If it's an older building, Transite panels. 

Nov 27, 18 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
peijunfei

seems like spandrel glass for me. Not quiet sure if they are glass or not. Maybe EIFS, if not glass.

Nov 27, 18 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Yes, I also often confuse stucco with glass.

Nov 27, 18 5:31 pm  · 
 · 

You could generically call it "gridded metal panels". 

Nov 27, 18 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
guangyuan-alum

metal or aluminum  profile house?

Dec 12, 18 3:46 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: