Archinect
anchor

Graduate not finding a job

lgiusti

Hi guys! I decided to ask for some advice as I am really struggling. I am 32, graduated last year in Architectural Technology and by now only got two interviews. I was rejected by both of them as the company found someone more experienced. I do not have much experience in the field, I only did 1 month summer internship and worked as a fitted furniture designer for six months. Apart from that I have more than 10 years experience in customer services/ administration which were the job opportunities I had and paid for my studies. My portfolio contains Uni works and some designs I developed studying on my own- I feel though it's not amazing as I lack experience.

Please could you advise me, how can I compete with experienced people applying for junior positions? Are there any specific designs I can include in my portfolio that will make me stand out from the crowd?Any help will be greatly appreciated, thank you!!!

Nov 8, 18 11:10 am
Non Sequitur

You're a technologist, set up your portfolio so that it shows you know how to put out top quality construction details.  No one will be looking at a junior technologist for design ideas anyways.

Nov 8, 18 11:41 am  · 
1  · 
randomised

Why would experienced people apply for junior positions?

Nov 8, 18 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

because reading is difficult.

Nov 8, 18 2:34 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

is it?

Nov 8, 18 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
James Bragg

Apparently!

Jul 24, 20 10:56 am  · 
 · 
Mr Almost Architect

lgiusti,

I would elaborate more on two things, your degree and your portfolio. You should show us your work that way we can give you some advice, without seeing your work or understanding what your degree entails, we can't really offer more than just encouragement. 

Also, what positions are you applying for?

Nov 14, 18 3:20 am  · 
 · 
natematt

It's a little hard to sense how you're doing without clarification on how many applications you've sent out to get those two interviews. Have you sent out 20, 100, 500? 

Jul 24, 20 11:48 am  · 
 · 

thread is from Nov 2020 ... I think they either figured it out or found other work by now.

Jul 24, 20 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

EA, a thread from the future?

Jul 26, 20 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
Jaetten

Is your portfolio on Issuu or similar? Will help to have people critique it.

Jul 26, 20 11:13 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: