Archinect
anchor

Who needs a humorous break?

Non Sequitur

Folks, Everyday Architect just linked the below thread in another discussion... and I've started reading it from page one.  Oh boy, does it contain a heavy dose of hilarity.  Ricky gets a beating, but at least he's a good sport about it. 

https://archinect.com/forum/th...

Oct 24, 18 4:11 pm

It starts out funny, but turns pretty depressing pretty quick when we get into the theater project. 

I'm glad that archinect didn't delete the thread entirely, or delete Rick's posts on the thread when they banned him. I started digging into the archives of TC and noticed that all of Rick's old posts were deleted there and there are entire sections where it doesn't read coherently. 

Oct 24, 18 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
Fivescore

He once posted a 30-page long homophobic rant (which he cut and pasted from Reddit) on TC, all in one post. There are things that should be removed!

Oct 24, 18 4:24 pm  · 
 · 

I'm not complaining about it or disagreeing with it. Just pointing out that they nuked them all there, but saw fit to leave them in the CPBD exam thread. I've stopped trying to figure out why archinect deletes certain posts or bans certain users and not others.

Oct 24, 18 4:31 pm  · 
 · 

Archinect's explanation of why it still exists still doesn't make sense to me ...

Oct 24, 18 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I believe that thread by itself is the only reason why kangaroos have not gone extinct yet.

Oct 24, 18 4:26 pm  · 
 · 

There are so many good kangaroo lines and gifs in that thread. For that alone it deserves to be put in the archinect museum.

Oct 24, 18 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

certainly a first year-eligible entry candidate for Archinect HoF.

Oct 24, 18 4:36 pm  · 
 · 

I once tried to put together a thread to capture all the Balkins gold and memorialize it in one place. It never really took off. Still some good ones there though ...

https://archinect.com/forum/th...

Oct 24, 18 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

It's hard to curate a living work of art.

Oct 24, 18 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

I stopped thinking this was funny during that thread.  It was around the part where someone tried to show him the real gravity of the situation by posting video of the Station nightclub fire, and he just kept posting irrelevant defensive bullshit, never even acknowledging that people are at risk.  I saw then how dangerous he and other untrained people can be, because there's no way to impress on them the seriousness of what they don't know.  Smoke vent with a fusible link? What is that? Sprinkler riser? Doesn't even know what one looks like.  Can't use a tape measure. Can't do basic arithmetic. Can't see just by the scale of someone standing next to it that an opening is obviously at least a foot taller than he's claiming.  Never heard of UL assemblies, so they must not exist, and if they do then they're not published. Accessible egress route? It's doing double duty as storage space. The wheelchair user can fold the chairs and boxes out of his way as he flees a fire.  All funny, but not.  

Oct 24, 18 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I mostly remember the kangaroos.

Oct 24, 18 5:26 pm  · 
 · 

Bloopbox's comment is exactly why I noted it gets depressing pretty quickly. It is somewhat easy to dismiss Balkins as just someone trying to play architect on exempt structures ... doing a residential deck here or there to make some cash ... but when it comes down to it, everything Bloopbox points out is serious business and why licensing requirements are important. Say what you want about NAAB, NCARB, IDP/AXP and the ARE (I sure have), but in the end they serve a purpose of educating and evaluating base competency in a profession that can have significant consequences to the HSW of the public. They aren't perfect organizations and programs, but they seem to be a lot better than the alternatives.

Oct 24, 18 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
Flatfish

Distance between exits, widths of stairs, handrails on both sides, handrail extensions, trap door construction, continuous fire-rated wall to roof assemblies, ADA accessible counters and workstations, clear egress routes, blah blah blah: all your responsibility and all fucked up.

Oct 24, 18 6:10 pm  · 
 · 

Deleting my earlier response. I realized after posting (but luckily still within the "edit comment" timeframe) I got sucked into it again. The earlier thread stands. No need to get into it all again. Archinect mods should hide Rick's reply and the subsequent ones.

Oct 24, 18 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Ricky, this thread is about kangaroo jokes.

Oct 24, 18 8:38 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Every village needs one.

Oct 24, 18 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Your comments are so titillating! Should I alter my ignore setting?! 

Oct 24, 18 10:32 pm  · 
 · 

It wasn't that long ago that I got scolded - and correctly so - for beating up Rick. I was pointedly told that it came of as just plain mean. I took it to heart, apologized to Rick, and hit the ignore button.

I suggest that some of you here may wish to do the same. At least the ignore part. This is not sporting or amusing: it is abusive.

If you can't do good, at least don't do harm.

Oct 24, 18 11:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: