Archinect
anchor

Designing a high rise office building

Laleh

This is the first time I'm ever going to design a high rise building(I'm a student). The problem with the site is that it is very small and has only one access (the site area after removing the setbacks is around 3529sq ft). Please give me tips on designing a high rise building. How can I make it more interactive between different levels. Thanks in advance.

Oct 4, 18 8:46 am
( o Y o )

Don't worry, it's also the last time.

Oct 4, 18 9:19 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Did you know say in your previous posts that you had "staff" under you that were questioning your core designs?

Oct 4, 18 9:48 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Is your professor requiring a high rise office building, or is this your initiative? High rise office building is probably the least architectural building type out there. It's an egress puzzle and curtainwall pattern making charette. Maybe you get to have some fun with lobby design.

If you have to do this I'd recommend going completely deconstructionist. Reinvent the whole typology and pretend that leasable space don't matter, and building codes don't exist. You know, something that will never be built. 

Whatever you come up with will still have been done before, probably better, but you get a crack at it as well. 

Oct 4, 18 9:49 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

There was a crazy old-timer architect cook in my undergrad who ran this type of tower studio. I remember one student built in a Ferris-wheel midway up a 60-storey building. That was a fun project to see... also, this was a hand-drawn, hand-built model studio...no computers allowed (early 00s)

Oct 4, 18 10:01 am  · 
 · 
thatsthat

This sounds really fun. If I could do it all over, now that I actually have a clue...!

The closest thing we had in school was an art museum built on top of a high rise as an addition.  I took a decon approach (as I had just discovered Gehry and Rhino) which, at the time, I thought made a nice contrast to the box below.  Thinking back, its pretty cringe worthy.

Oct 4, 18 10:18 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Maybe OP can play with waterslides in lieu of stairs, because you sure as fuck aren't putting an actual elevator/stair/bathroom high rise core in a 3500 sq ft footprint. Add some gargoyles on top, and all done!

Oct 4, 18 10:40 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^rain water shed from the gargoyles could add excitement to the slides... turning them into water-slides every time it rains!

Oct 4, 18 10:42 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Drawings could never do justice with how we just turned OP's design into a literal masterpiece.

Oct 4, 18 10:47 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I expect full credit and royalties for life.

Oct 4, 18 10:51 am  · 
 · 
thatsthat

I'd look for some books on high rise design in your school's arch library and begin research there.  As that is not my area of expertise, others may have a better idea of some suggestions to keep on the look out for.

Oct 4, 18 10:23 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

go deep

Oct 4, 18 10:25 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I did not know that school projects had setbacks. Do the setbacks extend underground?

Oct 4, 18 10:59 am  · 
 · 
Steeplechase

When I was in school (B.Arch), 3rd and 4th year studios used real sites and we were expected to research and follow the zoning requirements. One could create a variance for oneself but it usually had to be well reasoned.

Oct 4, 18 8:34 pm  · 
 · 
Steeplechase

Did 2 high rise projects in school....

Oct 4, 18 10:01 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Maybe ask the OP in this thread, their staff knows all about high rises.

Oct 4, 18 11:01 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Here ya go. make up some BS about the pool in the center being for the ecological gods or something. Take your secretary there on lunch break.

Gotta wear sunglasses and linen coats while designing this, though, and you must listen to this soundtrack as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...

Good luck

Oct 4, 18 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

Kaleidoscope skyscraper; Ferminnan + Spagnoletta, Berlin... looks like a tight footprint.

You are a student too, so no budget or building department woes;  Say you'll also use thyssenkrupp's multi rope free elevator (can go horizontally and run multiple cabs in the same chase that bi-pass each other to save on core space)... Also use automated parking systems to warehouse vehicles (saves on drive aisles, ramps, etc.)

Oct 4, 18 6:57 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

One of the skyscrapers I worked on for Salesforce(East) is right across the street and in the path of of the leaning millennium tower in San Francisco. They haven't figured out how to stop the lean either. 

Oct 4, 18 9:41 pm  · 
 · 
Aaptidarshan

The structures used for high-rise buildings must meet the lateral load performance criteria mainly about wind load and earthquake load.

Oct 6, 18 1:44 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: