Archinect
anchor

Shitting bricks...

salonee.balakrishnan

Why Am I so scared to starting work on my portfolio.....WHY! 

Anyone else go through this.... suggestions ?

Sep 7, 18 2:35 am
Non Sequitur

never had the feeling. I remember actually enjoying building up a portfolio. I did one at the end of every school year. 

If you find that hard, wait until you’re asked to set up a 40+ page construction doc set. 

Sep 7, 18 6:29 am  · 
 · 
Steeplechase

Only 40 pages?

Sep 7, 18 9:09 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

t'is only an example. I don't think anyone fresh outta school is given a task such as setting up a 100page set... I can't even get our junior staff to get 3 pages (which includes a cover page) correct.

Sep 7, 18 9:11 am  · 
 · 

Recently saw a 300 page set for a house. Anyone familiar with the expression “papering the file”? Also known as “billing by the pound”.

Sep 7, 18 9:49 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I have a big deadline today. 20 some sheets that I've put together in only 60 hours. Lots of coffee brewing. And avoiding it.

Sep 7, 18 9:54 am  · 
 · 
randomised

If only we were able to shit those bricks into beautiful walls, that would be a very useful skill for an architect, would look great in a portfolio too.

Sep 7, 18 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
Medusa

Not to mention, you could probz get cradle-to-cradle certification on that!

Sep 8, 18 1:48 pm  · 
 · 

probably because it requires you to go through and look at all your past work. and if you're like most designers, you're probably super critical of yourself. 

sifting thru old work and trying to format it so it looks good is kind of like.... a forced inner reflection.

Sep 7, 18 12:51 pm  · 
 · 

I asked a brick, it didn't want to be shitted. 

My suggestion is ask your portfolio what it wants to be, and then go make it. Post your result in a week (timeline is important) and ask for feedback (feedback is less important, but will give you a chance to step back and analyze it yourself).

Sep 7, 18 12:53 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: