Archinect
anchor

Do I need permission?

mchedraui

Hi fellow archi and designers,

I'm looking for advice from the professionals out there as I'm new to the work environment.

I was fortunate enough to land a job after graduation. I'm currently working on my portfolio to make it better. As part of making it better, I would like to add a project I participated on in the office where I'm currently employed. The project was a competition. We didn't win, but I really like it. I think that this could help as a reference of what I have learned in the office environment. If I want to use the renders and drawings from that project, do I need to ask for permission to anyone in my office?

I'm trying to keep it on the quite side as I don't want people in the office to know I'm looking for new opportunities.

Thanks for the advice :)

Jul 17, 18 1:36 pm
Non Sequitur

Typically, it's expected that staff carry over some past projects as part of their professional portfolio... however, you must be very clear in your involvement level in the project and give full credit to the office (aka, don't claim it's your project).  

Jul 17, 18 1:45 pm  · 
 · 

What NS said, and remember it is always easier to ask forgiveness than permission.

Jul 17, 18 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

You need to find out whether there was a requirement of secrecy. If the designs that didn't win are not allowed to be published, you're running a (very small) risk if you include it, more so if you indicate what the competition was for.

Jul 17, 18 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
mchedraui

Thank you all for the great advice! I'll mention the company name and team members in the portfolio so its clear and the appropriate credit is given. :) 

Jul 18, 18 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
archinine
Asking your firm to display work is like waving a flag than you’ve got one foot out the door. Give credit where it’s due and don’t pretend you did it alone. You’ll be fine it’s common practice.
Jul 18, 18 9:49 pm  · 
 · 

Yes, you do. Now as politely again, please.

Jul 19, 18 7:46 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: