Archinect
anchor

Coordination with gas utilities--all meters exterior?

estyle

I am seeing more and more requirements from gas utilities for all meters to be not only outside of multi-family buildings but on hitching posts--so located 42" off the face of the building. 

Is anyone else encountering exterior only meters on multi-family? On single-family it seems reasonable, but on multi-family I am seeing banks of 60, 100 meters on an exterior wall in an urban location. To be honest, this doesn't seem super safe, I know it's good for access. I'm in the Northeast and am just wondering if people are encountering this in other parts of the country and how you are dealing with it. 

Jul 16, 18 3:38 pm
bowling_ball

I've never heard of an interior gas meter. They have to be able to vent - which would kill or at least severely injure occupants. Weird.

Jul 16, 18 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

From what I understand...

Depends on the multi-family and how things are setup.  Most want the individual meters so everyone gets a bill for what they use.  Setup 1 would be the utility company sends the bill, therefore it is their service.  That means it's all outside.

The interior ones I've seen aren't true utility meters.  They are more like just a tenant meter so the bill can be split to their share in the form of HOA dues.  There is only one main meter outside owned and serviced by the utility company.  And that's the major difference; the interior ones are owned by the HOA and maintained by property management who has access.  

Same stuff with electrical and water.

Haven't seen the hitching post thing, so it must be a local regulation by the utility company.

Jul 16, 18 8:17 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: