Archinect
anchor

AXP hours

ryan hollister

So I am working at a large firm for 2 1/2 months and I have been submitting my hours to my sponsor(my boss) and he has not been signing them. So I went in to his office and asked him about my hours and he said he is busy and only likes to sign them every 6 months or so at a min. I have talked to my friends at other firms and they get their hours signed frequently, some every week. If I get canned or leave I feel I could be screwed on my hours. Any thoughts.

Jul 4, 18 10:19 pm

2 Featured Comments

All 9 Comments

thatsthat

I submitted my hours every month at the same time. Boss always knew what to expect.  See if you can work out a compromise.  If not, see if there’s someone else willing to oversee your hours. 

Jul 4, 18 10:44 pm  · 
 · 
eastcoast

You have up to six months I believe to submit the current reports. Both of my summer internships I just tallied out the hours and kept track for a single sign off at the end of my term. Others said they get theirs signed off weekly but I can't imagine someone whose licensed wanting to go through with that frequently when its just not necessary. I wouldn't worry about getting them signed off until you are about to finish up. Also, did you submit it before speaking with him? I would just say like the last few days you are there say you are going to send it and that he can expect to sign off all at once then. If you don't hear back within a few days of emailing it at the end of your job follow up online or in person. 

Jul 4, 18 10:59 pm  · 
 · 
Featured Comment
senjohnblutarsky

Try it at three months.  Don't irritate your boss.  They probably won't remember if it's been three months or six. 

Jul 5, 18 7:57 am  · 
 · 
ryan hollister

close as in finished ARE or close to finished axp hrs? 3 months would piss him off. when i talked to him he said he ignored the 2 months because he was busy. would most of you work at places that would not sign hours? at first i wouldnt but now i look at it differently. ARE is the most important.

Jul 5, 18 8:13 am  · 
 · 
joseffischer

Get your hours signed... Surely there are others there who can sign them.  It doesn't really matter who signs them as long as they're registered.  Did they "oversee" your work?  Probably just as much as said boss did, who doesn't have the time to write his name.

Jul 5, 18 10:55 am  · 
 · 
Bloopox

Expecting your supervisor to review and sign off on your forms every week is unreasonable – unless there was some agreement to that effect made during your hiring process, which would be pretty unusual.  I’d be quite annoyed to be pestered every week about this. I’d recommend asking your supervisor if he/she can commit to reviewing all of your hours at some regular interval – perhaps 3 months?  If you feel strongly that it needs to be more frequent, then perhaps determine at what interval management in your office reviews billing (usually monthly) and ask your supervisor if he or she can do this at that same time (because it may seem easier for them when they're already in their hours-counting mindset.)

If your supervisor is extremely slow about this, taking many months to get around to it, then some of it may be a generation gap, and you may need to re-educate him/her about NCARB’s current policies.  Up until roughly 10-15 years ago there were no maximum reporting windows for IDP experience, except in a couple of states that had their own supplemental rules, so about 40% of candidates didn’t submit any forms for review until they were finished with their entire internship, or very close to finished.  I submitted 6+ years of experience in one chunk, contacting all my past employers at that time, and re-contacting the slowest ones.  If you leave or get canned, your employer still should sign off on past hours.  If they're an AIA-member firm they've agreed to this as part of the code of conduct, and anyway it's pretty normal for former employees to request this and most firms do cooperate.  Troubles sometimes arise though if the firm goes out of business or the supervisors die.

If your supervisor came from that era they may just not understand that experience has an expiration date now. On the other hand, if they haven't done this recently for other candidates they also may not realize how simplified the review process has become.  Years ago I dreaded signing off on employees' hours because it was a 4-page form with all sorts of qualitative ranking assessments and such.  These days it's just a few mouse clicks - the ONLY choices are approve, send back to candidate for more info, or reject.  There are no longer any assessment categories, no rating system, no boxes for comments - nothing.  It usually takes me longer to try to remember my NCARB pasword, give up, and reset it than it takes to review interns' forms.

Jul 5, 18 11:22 am  · 
 · 
Featured Comment
Steeplechase

I’m surprised to see that weekly submitals are disliked. It was the opposite for me because my IDP supervisor was my actual supervisor. I submitted my time sheet and IDP at the same time so that I was staying on top of it. My supervisor was already reviewing and approving my time sheet which made reviewing IDP a minimal addition to that existing task.

Jul 5, 18 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

I can see how that would work, if the firm's policy is for direct supervisors to review time sheets every week. In my firm the time sheets are due bi-monthly, and the procedure is for bookkeeping to review them when they're submitted, for general procedural compliance with min/max hours policies, PTO and holidays and such, and to make sure everything's billed to the right phase code, and supervisors to review them monthly for billing purposes. I don't typically have much cause to look at them at any other time during the month, so am more comfortable with reviewing interns' experience on that schedule, or in 2 or 3 month batches.

Jul 5, 18 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
spiketwig

ugghhh do not submit every week I would lose my mind. Every three months is the MOST frequent I would consider. When I did IDP I did it every six months which was fine. 

Do you REALLY think you're going to "get canned" and your boss won't sign your outstanding hours?  That happens but it's a fairly uncommon scenario. If you really honestly think that might happen, you should take a hard look at how you're performing and if you're at the right firm... it's a strong market. You don't have to stay working for some a-hole right now. 

Jul 5, 18 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
kaijiezhang

my boss is the only Architect in our company.  He did not sign off my 7.5 month AXP hours. His excuse is busy. He pushed the axp  hours report meeting every day. What should I do?

May 30, 19 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Quit.

May 30, 19 8:36 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: