Archinect
anchor

Am I the only one who works at kitchen Island?

s=r*(theta)

When working at home, am I the only one who works at kitchen Island with laptop and 24" monitor?

Jul 4, 18 12:15 pm
Non Sequitur

I built myself a studio/office in the basement as an extension of our main family space.  I have a beast of a tower hooked up with the option to use the main TV instead of the 24" monitor.

Too many distractions in the kitchen... like beer storage.

Jul 4, 18 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

beer storage is a distraction? i have a kegerator right next to my desk at home.

Jul 4, 18 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

My home bar is on the opposite side of the family room for me. It's a mild effort to reach.

Jul 4, 18 1:34 pm  · 
 · 

The atelier is a separate building, I have to walk across the yard to work. Commuting time is about 40 seconds (each way).

It's important to have a disconnect.

Jul 4, 18 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
joseffischer

Agreed!

Jul 6, 18 10:10 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

My house has a drawing room with a desk, computer, laptop, calculator, couch, and a large south-facing window... to my neighbor's house and their office area (they are a young couple, an urban planner and a historic preservation architect, ha). 

Jul 4, 18 2:20 pm  · 
 · 

during the summer I’m in what is currently my second favorite reading chair

in the living room...

Working on an alternative this summer

Jul 4, 18 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
bennyc

I have converted my backyard shed into my office, and have built a mezzanine above for book storage, and working on underground bunker that will connect to my main house/basement so that I can sneak in and out of the house without being noticed. 

Jul 4, 18 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

Problem #1 "working at home"...  I've never been able to do it no matter where I am in the house.  Entirely too many distractions and zero accountability (no one to see me not working).  So, I've "worked" on my deck by the pool, my basement man cave, the living room, my wife's office in the loft, and even at the garage work table.  The kitchen island isn't set up well in my house; maybe I'll try (not) working there too. 

btw; Outside at the table on the deck was the most enjoyable and the closest I came to actually being productive.  

Jul 5, 18 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

Not being productive was one reason I use to avoid working from home, but once my children got older and I actually took on a side project here and there; working from home got more effective

Jul 5, 18 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

Weird one that works for me now; The construction 'trailer' (apartment the gc is using). I've been doing a lot of construction admin where there is downtime between things I need to approve. So I've been trying to get ahead on some paperwork with other projects... and found I can do that in the construction zone with jackhammers going.

Jul 6, 18 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
proto

we built a studio on the property like miles & got out of the basement

we used to work together at the same dining sized table...basically went from 100sf to about 700sf (with headroom!)

Jul 5, 18 3:23 pm  · 
 · 

I mean, we're not in your kitchen, s=r*(theta). You tell us: are you the only one at your kitchen island working?

Jul 7, 18 9:21 am  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

Donna, since you put it that way. for the most part, Yes. I am typically the only one working at the island and have been since 5:45am this morning :-) and there's usually music but no toca la guitara!

Jul 7, 18 9:49 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

Only work I do at home is red lining drawings.  Half size on the kitchen island.  Have to do full size on the floor

Jul 8, 18 9:58 pm  · 
 · 
danauk79

On my laptop, on my sofa :-) Whatever makes you productive.

Jul 9, 18 4:42 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I can work anywhere except the so-called open office environment where I experience auditory disphoria (self diagnosis, made up name). Working from home is great because instead of getting distracted I can find so many things to ignore and work instead. And I like getting up in the middle of the night to work, best time of the day. Then nap later.

Jul 9, 18 6:44 am  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

I can’t stand working in the office. So many noises, sniffles, obnoxious behaviours, annoying perfumes, and someone who guzzles water down every 30 seconds with the slam against the table. I get it bro you work out

Jul 9, 18 7:07 pm  · 
 · 

I slurp my coffee. I'm so embarrassed to realize I do, but I do. It's hard to not do it. I realized it after watching an episode of Black Mirror.

Jul 9, 18 10:09 pm  · 
 · 

related; this new study on The impact of the ‘open’ workspace on human collaboration

Jul 9, 18 11:43 pm  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

Open office's are my favorite, I guess because Im not a fan of the pin drop, mouse fart office environment. the noise doesn't bother one bit. Not sure why but some how i think i associate the noise with an audible busyness that is intrinsically communicating to my mind a visual image and feeling of electric production and translate me back to the inner city streets of Chicago: buses, various automobile's, hustle and bustle of people, the metra and railroad train whistle a far off, police and emt sirens, dogs barking, music blasting, construction workers, showering noise of express way and L-train, Ice cream trucks or ice cream carts, echoes and reverbs of these noises.

Jul 10, 18 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

This is my set up at home . Foldable mini table at the sofa. Nice and comfy 

Jul 9, 18 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
Flatfish

I don't have a kitchen island.  This time of year I frequently work on my porch in an Adirondack chair.  In winter I work by the fireplace in a rocking chair.

Jul 9, 18 11:43 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Kitchen Island is one of the Hawaiian Islands me thinks. With the luaus.

Jul 10, 18 11:58 pm  · 
 · 
NathalieBou

I always work directly on my kitchen island. I installed a large television on my kitchen wall that serves as a computer screen when I work, and TV when I cook! I recently set up my kitchen to feel good, with new cabinets and new kitchen countertops surfaces for my island, which is more corporate.

Jul 11, 18 2:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: