Archinect
anchor

My son said he wants to be an Architect

OneLostArchitect

My son approached me today and said he wanted to be an architect like me. I’m flattered that he looks up to me and all that... but I don’t want him to go into this field. I just don’t. How do I go about this?

Apr 21, 18 10:19 pm

I didn't want to be an architect but I grew up in the office - literally. So while I followed that path by default I ended up doing a great many other things. That experience in may ways shaped my life.

The best thing you can do is facilitate and encourage your son's experience. Share your journey with him. Likely he will learn to see the profession the way you do and find his own path.

Apr 21, 18 10:45 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

You folks can really be a downer. 

I'm the first person in my family to get a university degree. Compared to some of the jobs I had as a teen, architecture is fantastic.

Every career choice has its pros and cons. I'd rather be an architect than most other professions. It sure as shit beats driving a forklift in a warehouse. 

Apr 22, 18 2:48 am  · 
 · 
thatsthat

Everyday I don't want to go to work, I think about every minimum wage, part-time, manual labor job I had in college and how I hated those way more than anything I'm doing now.

Apr 22, 18 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
JonathanLivingston

really I feel like every manual labor job i had was way more enjoyable, beer tasted better at the end of the day and all i had to do was the job i was told. Keep moving and you good. easy on the mind, good for the body and soul. If i could make the same money swinging a hammer I totally would.

Apr 24, 18 6:48 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I love working manual jobs too. I worked assembly line in a window and door factory. It was good money and the day flew by.

Apr 25, 18 6:26 pm  · 
 · 
joseffischer

I agree a lot with Jonathan. I really liked most days in construction way more than most days here. A few caveats, I don't want to be up on a 9/12 roof anymore. I don't want to be on a roof or outside when it's over 90 or raining. I don't want to work in the cold. I don't want to work in a crawlspace. I don't want to be the guy required to fix something went sideways and now requires a lot more thought than normal predominantly because the time and tools we have on the job aren't what's needed now that the scope just grew exponentially. I don't want to be taking down a deck ledger built years ago by the home owner and get zapped off my ladder because the lag bolt must have knicked a wire. Response from owner?? "So that's why the storage room lights always flickered.... Thanks guy.

Apr 26, 18 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

It's great your son has an interest in architecture, it's a wonderful and diverse field to be working in and training to become an architect gives you an amazing and critical set of skills that can be applied in many different ways in many different places.

Apr 22, 18 7:30 am  · 
 · 

How old is your son? Secondly, does your son see how exhausted you are from work, with little or no time for the father/son school events?

Thirdly, does your son enjoy the rat race which his father has to shoulder to keep up with those that are always ahead of him in the support your family reality?

Learn programming or study medicine is my advice, however I remember from the Graduate film that "plastics" was the future.

Apr 22, 18 11:23 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

My advice, don’t ever discourage a kids interests.  It’s great that your kid is interested in something challenging and thinking about a positive future.  That’s the important part.  

Apr 22, 18 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

I would be thrilled if my kid wanted to be an architect.  She shows a lot of interest but I try to remain neutral as I want her career to be 100% her choice, no matter what it is.  Why would you pressure your kid one way or the other?  If you have concerns because of your own experience, just try to share what those are and help your kid strategize about how to avoid whatever mistakes you made.  

Apr 22, 18 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

Allow your child to come to work with you every day this summer and see everything that you do.  If they continue to be interested after that, encourage them 100%.  Your child will have a tremendous advantage when they go off to architecture school.

Apr 22, 18 4:51 pm  · 
 · 

My advantage was going to architecture school and switching into industrial design when I saw how removed from reality the architecture program was. If I hadn't grown up in my father's office I'd have been just another clueless noob drinking KoolAid.

Apr 24, 18 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

In many ways, this.

Apr 24, 18 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

My 5-year-old daughter is designing a house right now in fact. It has a purple floor which is genius. If she goes through with it as a career, I can teach her what took me many years to learn and maybe after two lifespans of this, we can achieve great things!

Apr 24, 18 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I think a bright purple floor would look awesome in a kitchen.

Apr 24, 18 3:23 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

The grape kool-aid stains don't stand out so much.

Apr 24, 18 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

My dad still has the dinosaur hospital I designed when I was a wee
lad.

Apr 25, 18 9:15 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

This is what happens. When you hate something a lot (like the way I know you hate your job onelostarchitect) - your kid turns around and want to do the same exact thing. When the time comes you might want to explain in a very clear manner what sucks about the profession.

Oh, and yes, dont listen to the koolaid drinking folks here.

Apr 24, 18 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Burp!

Apr 24, 18 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

Truth isn't toxic. False illusions are, after the truth is eventually discovered.

Apr 24, 18 7:55 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

total fail. 

Apr 24, 18 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
bennyc

Why not put them in school for real estate development, construction management or something of that nature and then self teach him architecture. If you are licensed, he can technically work for you and eventually get licensed himself, without any formal schooling as an architect.

Thats what I would do with my son if he ever mentions architecture. 

Apr 25, 18 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Be glad he didn't say he wants to be a realtor. 

Apr 25, 18 6:25 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: