Archinect
anchor

Late start

kmccumber93

Yo, I’m 24 and am interested in the architectural field. I’ve done a little research and thought maybe this would be an ok source for more research. I want to do drafting and designing with buildings. I’m not exactly sure how much schooling for which degrees or certificates is needed. I’m wondering where someone who is my age and with very little knowledge would start this career process. I appreciate your time and effort. 

Apr 18, 18 11:48 am

1 Featured Comment

All 7 Comments

Non Sequitur

Depends where you want to work / practice.  Some places quite literally have no restrictions while others require Master degrees and years of post graduation experience + exams.  Most colleges have some sort of arch technologist type diplomas so that's perhaps an easier way into the field.

Apr 18, 18 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

https://archcareers.blogspot.c...

Apr 18, 18 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
auninja91

if you're not interested in becoming a licensed architect, it would be faster/cheaper to take college arch tech courses.

Apr 18, 18 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
Featured Comment

I was 24 when I started architecture school. Had a work ethic that I didn't possess at 18, and it was a good move. Look for two degree types when researching programs - 1) the 5 year Bachelor of Architecture, this is a professional degree which allows you to sit for your licensing exams. 2) what is called a 4+2 - BA or BS in Architecture + 2 year Master of Architecture. Also allows you to sit for your exams. Count on approx. 3 years to complete AXP (required experience hours to allow you to become licensed) and you can take the licensing exams concurrently (wait a year or two before beginning to get a little experience under your belt). You'll be looking to enter the workforce at 30/31, but outside of mentally prepping yourself to potentially have a job captain/PM/PA younger than you, don't sweat it. My age never came up in interviews for entry level, directly out of school jobs. 

Apr 18, 18 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
TomCrawford

It is not such a late start as you probably think. You know the most important thing in this situation is that you have finally found your desired way. Nevertheless, I agree with those who said that it depends on what do you want to do exactly. For some professions, your learning period could be very short (comparatively) while for another - some years. Also, it depends on your motivation. If that is your dream you will probably be ready for learning a lot. All in all, it is better than working at the place you don't want to work at all.

Apr 19, 18 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

I went back to school for architecture at 27/28 and graduated at 31.  I was far from the only one. You're not late.  

The field is very wide and you should do some more research about what you want to do, day to day. The education requirements vary quite a bit, depending on what role you're looking for.

Apr 19, 18 11:36 pm  · 
 · 
kmccumber93

Thank you all for your helpful input. I’d like residential something, I’m also not too sure what the difference is between having a license and not having one. I think I’d rather have one. Again thank you for your time. I’ll more than likely be back with more questions. 

Apr 23, 18 9:38 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: