Archinect
anchor

literature regarding "24 hour public space" master thesis

yannisant

Hi

I am a Civil Engineering Master's student currently working on my thesis, which will be a design proposal about a 24 hour public space, addressing people's needs from urban public spaces in the winter and night time, on the basis that vibrant public spaces enhance social sustainability and strengthen social capital. I am trying to approach the topic from a multidisciplinary perspective, looking to incorporate into the design knowledge from my indoor climate and lighting studies. 

I have been doing a literature review for a while now and I have not been able to find many relevant case studies, especially for nocturnal public spaces. Does anyone have in mind any projects from around the world that could be an inspiration or be part of my literature review? It could be anything from projects that tackle seasonal strategy in weather adaptable public spaces to public spaces that try to bring other functions to the urban night than alcohol consumption.

Thank you in advance

Apr 11, 18 4:13 pm
randomised

The Berlage had a lecture series called Building Nights you might find interesting that dealt with the design and politics, among other things, of the city at night and focussed on specific architectural or urban projects/themes. You might also want to check out the French office AWP (they were part of that lecture series).

Apr 12, 18 4:24 am  · 
 · 
randomised

There should be videos online with those talks.

Apr 12, 18 4:24 am  · 
 · 
WASDxInfinity

Times Square is an area that is populated and lit year round.
Central Park also comes to mind because during daytime it's generally safe, however at night not so much. It also closes at a certain time.

Apr 12, 18 10:03 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Klyde Warren Park in Dallas, Texas, has won numerous landscape architecture awards. It is open 27/7 and has a lot of changing activities for the residents.  

Apr 24, 18 8:00 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: