Archinect
anchor

Bland portfolio

G4tor

Hi all,

Just wanted to ask for your opinion about how to spruce up a bland portfolio. I'm due for an interview and I've converted some of my old firm's older cd sets into workable drawings that i can put into my portfolio. However, black and white construction drawings pale in comparison to recent graduates full colored renderings.

However, my previous firm didn't really do much rendering and i feel that when it all come down to it, my portfolio looks really bland. Any suggestions?

Apr 9, 18 1:38 pm
Spoons

You have experience so you shouldn't competing with recent graduates?

Apr 9, 18 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
G4tor

it's an entry level position in the public sector. I'm currently in private. technically, i'll be paid a little less but i will reap (much more) in benefits and paid holidays.

Apr 9, 18 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
G4tor

with that said, i foresee a whole slew of recent grads applying. i might be wrong though...

Apr 9, 18 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Bring a full size CD drawing set to the interview.  Anyone can press the render button, few can assemble competent drawings.  Work that angle.

Apr 9, 18 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

As an employer I want a portfolio that is mainly about what the applicant personally did in their previous employment and school experience.   If its mainly CDs, that's really OK because that's the skill we are usually hiring for.  A general photo or render or two of the project that the CDs are for is a nice way to complement the CD images and establishes what the building looked like.  If you did a particular piece of the building, maybe go take a nice detail photo of that and place it next to the CD drawing used to build it.  Portfolios filled with pretty pictoral renders and magazine quality photos don't do much to help us understand a candidate's skills in detailing, drafting, project management, etc.

To me, a lack of renders and fancy photos in your portfolio is only a problem if you are trying to break into a job that is primarily about doing schematic design and rendering for presentations.

Apr 9, 18 2:06 pm  · 
 · 

It is also helpful to bring in work that confirms your skill in the requested job requirements.  If entry level, you will be well served by bringing a set of CDs.  It is a public job?  Did you work on a park, art installation, etc is school?  Make sure this is part of your portfolio.  

I also think that strong portfolios have good explanations.  Think beyond the pictures into what will enhance the pictures.  A quote from a teacher or Project Manager describing your work on a project can go a long way.  

Just a few thoughts, I hope this helps.    

Apr 9, 18 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
msparchitect

Are the projects you've worked on built or partially built? Make your portfolio spread a picture of the project under construction on one side of the page and a detail drawing of it on the other side. Knowing what actually happens when contractors take your drawing into reality is more valuable than rendering skills. 

Apr 9, 18 3:56 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: