Archinect
anchor

M.Arch I: GSAPP or SCI-Arc???

arch1234

I want to hear the opinions — opinions that are not biased by my own impressions. The only things to keep in mind is that I want to eventually do my own intensive, experimental, social-science-research-based design work — architectural design, but also industrial design and even design for performance wear/footwear (no; I don’t think I’m a starchitect, yes; I am aware of how ambitious and improbable that’s probably going to be...). My background is in heavy social science research, so I have to do an M.Arch I. Was offered good scholarships from both, so it evens out tuition/living cost considerations.

Mar 31, 18 8:00 pm
arch1234

Oh yeah: please no NYC vs LA debate.

Mar 31, 18 8:33 pm  · 
 · 
Koww

both of these schools are known for their social science

Mar 31, 18 10:11 pm  · 
 · 
monn

Please help with this thread! would be highly appreciated!

https://archinect.com/forum/th...

Apr 1, 18 6:31 am  · 
 · 
arch1234

Oh, sweetie, you’re going to have to be more specific! Why am I a pretentious ninny? Why do those specific factors mean that I’d fit in better at SCI-Arc vs GSAPP?

Apr 1, 18 8:11 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Take the cheapest. Also NYC > LA
Apr 1, 18 8:23 am  · 
 · 
nishizawa

SCI-Arc

Apr 1, 18 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
archinet

GSAPP- might be a better fit for your specific background. They seem to have a stronger interdisciplinary approach and resources- because they are part of a University. Also, who knows you might want to do a phd later in life. GSAPP has a pretty good phd school. 

Apr 2, 18 6:40 am  · 
 · 
randomised

LA or NYC, kind of a no-brainer.

Apr 2, 18 8:10 am  · 
 · 
arch1234

Thanks for the input so far, everybody!

If you could note the reasons for your recommendations, that'd be appreciated!

Apr 2, 18 11:51 am  · 
 · 
randomised

New York, because it's New Amsterdam!

Apr 2, 18 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
arch1234

Anybody else? Every opinion is appreciated.

Apr 2, 18 10:05 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

For now you'll have to take MY word for it ;)

Apr 2, 18 11:15 pm  · 
 · 
arch1234

They wouldn't be taking any money from me, actually -- in fact, neither school would be...

Apr 3, 18 10:22 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Congrats on the full scholarship!

Apr 4, 18 2:47 am  · 
 · 
arch1234

So... GSAPP or SCI-Arc? We’ve come a log way from paperless studio. GSAPP seems to now have this desire to move backwards. Their dean recently said that she’s excited that hand-drawing is coming back. Many faculty there seem to think that learning coding and new fabrication technologies necessitates fetishizing them. On the other hand, SCI-Arc seems to want to move forward with these new technologies but does not seem to care about teaching any of the social, political, and aesthetic implications of using them. Does anybody have any input on these points?

Apr 5, 18 10:34 pm  · 
 · 
@work

I was just at Sci-Arc and specialize in digital fabrication (CNCs/Waterjet/Kuka/etc).  IMO, the school was really focused on 3D printing, a quick and mindless way to create physical models of their crazy forms.  They do have some equipment that I saw but during the tour all I heard was 3D print OMG color 3D prints! OMG look at this dope $2k 3D print!  I felt it was stuck in the 90s formal agenda with some of this new stuff lightly stirred in.  So much Maya, if that's your boat, dive in.  Lots going into the movie industry? The building is amazing, probably one of my favorite architecture school environments.   

I toured the GSAPP when I was deciding on which grad school.  I liked the campus but I'm biased towards NYC.  Studio space seemed cramped.  I feel like the network is a lot better at the GSAPP.  I couldn't afford it though.  I don't know much about their current design ethos. 

Apr 6, 18 12:12 am  · 
 · 
arch1234

Thanks for the comment! I think that’s a fair way to phrase it; we pretty much understand what SCI-Arc’s philosophy is, but what is Columbia’s design ethos today? Are there really no opportunities to learn coding/scripting if you want to at Columbia? They benefit from innovation in other categories because they’re at a research university (like using biodegradable bricks made of mushrooms, etc...) but seem to lack the drive to push the envelope on the computation side of things.

I just don’t want to leave after three years feeling like I am not able to do (or not know how to start doing) something. Some architects argue against using these technologies, but I want to be able to choose; I don’t want to argue against something just as an excuse for the fact that I didn’t learn how to do it, you know?

Apr 6, 18 11:23 am  · 
 · 
archinine
GSAPP (usually) has electives for the coding stuff. That tends to go hand in hand with fabrication but not necessarily all the time. If you really want to dig into that stuff, grasshopper, you can learn a lot online. Pratt, Penn, umich and Sci arc top the list for that but ironically it’s often taught by a Columbia alum from the oughts/90s.

GSAPP doesn’t have near as extensive of facilities as the above mentioned schools. It does however have a far better network and reputation than sci arc and will probably be the best value in the long term for that alone. No one outside of the architecture world has ever heard of sci arc.
Apr 6, 18 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
archinet

I second archinine´s points.  Also its extremely important to know how to argue why you would want to push the envelope of architecture and computation, GSAPP will do a better job of teaching you this then Sci-Arc. Also I never, ever heard of an architecture school that would not offer scripting and fabrication classes. For sure GSAPP has that. 

Apr 6, 18 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
arch1234

To add to that: does anybody have any idea how difficult it is to actually get into those courses (as I understand it, there’s a lottery system to get into them and quite a number of students trying for it?), and how difficult it is to actually *make* a lot at GSAPP? Apparently they have a new lab that’s going to be ready for next year that should encourage more prototyping? 

Apr 6, 18 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
archinet

@arch1234, most likely you will be introduced to scripting in rhino, processing in a mandatory visual communication class in first year- or at least that is what is offered in almost all architecture schools. As for further electives for digital fabrication and spaces available in those classes you should contact GSAPP directly about that.

Apr 7, 18 6:17 am  · 
 · 
hellion

I third archinine and archinet's post. While SCI Arc leads in facilities and "pushing the envelope," Columbia leads in network. And having that network can open opportunities for you to do more experimental stuff. SCI Arc's more abstract approach and direction (I read somewhere Thom Mayne left the school because it was getting too radical LOL), as what some people I know who went there and are still there, leaves little room to explore the more pragmatic matters in architecture. (A similar situation happening in Bartlett's B-Pro apparently.)

But also, as a research university, and as you mentioned they will have a new lab next year for prototyping and such which having one is a form of design research, you will have more areas outside of the context of architecture to explore in Columbia than in SCI Arc (Urban Design, Urban Planning, Preservation, Curatorial, etc.). It would be interesting for you to "push the envelope" if you can develop a study on how computational/experimental design will come into play in those areas eventually besides architecture. 

And also, Columbia is expensive and prestigious AF. And you got yourself a scholarship there. That should be a no-brainer. 

Apr 6, 18 5:57 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: