Archinect
anchor

NAAB or CIDA to be licensed as an interior designer

danielmartinez

Hey guys! 

So I got accepted to SAIC for the masters in interior architecture program which is NAAB accredited. That’s great cause I have the option to get licensed as an architect in the future should I choose. What I want to know is if I end up wanting to be an interior designer can I get licensed if the program is only NAAB accredited? What would I have to do to get licensed as an interior designer if what I studied is NAAB accredited? 

Also do you make more money being licensed? 

Thanks guys! 

Mar 23, 18 9:49 pm
Non Sequitur

Just get licensed as an architect.  It's better and you can still do interior design.  Having a license does not just magically get you money.  Your billable skills will.

Mar 23, 18 10:43 pm  · 
 · 
Flatfish

Interior designers don't typically get licensed.  There are only a few states that regulate the practice of interior design.  There are about 25 states that regulate specific titles that interior designers can use (for instance only letting NCIDQ certified people be "Registered Interior Designers") - but this doesn't actually affect the types of work they can do.  You can get the NCIDQ credential with an architecture school background. You don't need a CIDA accredited school for that. 

Mar 23, 18 10:52 pm  · 
 · 
archinine
I still don’t understand why it is so difficult for people on this forum both to use the search tool or to wrap their head around the difference between a furniture selector and an architect.
Mar 24, 18 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
dudek

Really?  I was wondering where the line between code regulated interior design and architecture was located.  

Apr 19, 18 11:13 am  · 
 · 
eeayeeayo

Generally anything that moves or otherwise alters structure requires an architect. There are some exceptions on some project types in some places. Things that affect the building envelope also typically require an architect, same caveats. There are many code issues that impact interior design - everything from slip resistance to VOC emissions to accessibility issues. The design meet those code requirements - regardless of the license status of the interior designer.

Apr 20, 18 10:52 am  · 
 · 
Beepbeep

You can become a registered interior designer with an NAAB degree if you choose, it would be pretty pointless after getting your architects registration though. This seems like a great option for someone interested in both.

Apr 19, 18 10:08 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: