Archinect
anchor

Oscars 2018 red carpet critiques, anyone?

I love talking about the fashions, and critiquing them from an architect's eye.

Allison Janney won for me. Perfect lines, simple shape with the decorative element just coming from the excess fabric and flow, just-chunky-enough necklace, hair reflecting the flow of the sleeves. Perfection.

Mar 5, 18 9:15 am

Nicole Kidman gets my "Just Missed" award because - as is frequently the problem with her - her hair ruins it. 

The weight of the awesomely-structured bow and the bell base of the dress means there's a downward motion that needs to be offset by upswept hair. This straight, stiff helmet hair not only doesn't contrast sufficiently with her structural dress, it makes her boobs look saggy.

Mar 5, 18 9:21 am  · 
 · 

Betty Gabriel, oh my god:

Completely gorgeous. Perfect hair. Perfect contrast between painted-on top half and flowey, voluminous bottom half. The netting on her bodice is virtually invisible - I've only really spotted it in one image - so she looks incredibly confident and comfortable even with that much exposure. Goddess.

Mar 5, 18 9:27 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

The dress is compressing her breasts and pulling them down and to the side. Unflattering.

Mar 5, 18 9:58 am  · 
 · 

I agree, but I think she works it. She's got a nice breastbone, so the way she holds her shoulders makes her look unafraid. It's not always about the boobs!

Mar 5, 18 11:35 am  · 
 · 
hellion

I thought the stage design this year looked nice. 

Mar 5, 18 9:39 am  · 
 · 

I LOVED the stage set SO MUCH! So sparkly and changeable and over the top. One of my Twitter friends called it a "hellmouth" but I loved the sparkly hellmouth! Set design by Derek McLane, here: https://www.architecturaldigest.in/content/oscars-2018-take-a-look-at-the-stunning-90th-academy-awards-stage-studded-with-45-million-swarovski-crystals/

Mar 5, 18 11:39 am  · 
 · 

45 million Swarovski crystals "For reference, last year's Oscar's set had 200,000 crystals" Go big!

Mar 5, 18 11:40 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I did not know it was the oscars this weekend.

Mar 5, 18 9:39 am  · 
 · 

Eiza Gonzalez also rocked simplicity but in her case simplicity with a flawless shape underneath:

Perfect hem length, lovely casual hair, everything else tight.

Mar 5, 18 11:43 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

She would look good even if dressed like the guys from duck dynasty.

Mar 5, 18 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
thatsthat

I loved Margot Robbie's dress too!  The only criticism I have about her look was the little decorative pieces around the arms.  I thought it looked a little too much like Christmas tinsel from far away.  I wished those had been made of silk or another type of gauzy fabric.

Allison Janey looked so on point.  Her dress has gorgeous proportions with just little bits of glitz with the jewelry.  I also appreciated that she showed off her figure without being too revealing.

Mar 5, 18 1:57 pm  · 
 · 

Totally agree, the decorative bits veered just a tiny bit too close to Christmas tinsel! I think there's a big challenge in knowing how these outfits will photograph under red carpet lights vs. how they appear in person.

Mar 5, 18 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
thatsthat

That's what I assumed too! I'm sure they look good close up in person, but on screen they were questionable!

Mar 5, 18 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

The best.

Mar 5, 18 2:13 pm  · 
 · 

AAARrrrghhhh so close but the lack of socks with everything else so formal - even S&M formal - kills the look for me. Apologies, Michael Speaks, my favorite non-sock wearer!

Mar 5, 18 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
thatsthat

To my untrained eye, it appears that the pants may have needed some additional tailoring. The fit seems off in this photo. I also can't get on board with the no socks thing. But I love the originality of the jacket, straps, and the bow tie. (Is the bow tie leather?! Because I love it.) It's a welcome spin on the basic black and white boring tux.

Mar 5, 18 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I like bare arms, and in the right circumstances, bare ankles.

Mar 5, 18 7:36 pm  · 
 · 

Maya Rudolph probably gets a lot of hate for this caftan look but *I love it*!!! Chic and DGAF all at once, and the tight hair makes it dressier.  And Tiffany Haddish is freaking adorable and brilliant with the long-running gag of re-wearing that dress...

Mar 5, 18 8:29 pm  · 
 · 

Are those uggs or the comfy lube slippers from ll bean?

Mar 5, 18 8:52 pm  · 
 · 

*lined

Mar 5, 18 9:33 pm  · 
 · 

Also, I don't generally like asymmetry in dresses. But Zendaya's look here is gorgeous. Totally balanced, loads of fabric but it's sheer and light, and I love the basic brown color! Also perfect counterpoint in her hair.

Mar 5, 18 8:44 pm  · 
 · 

Salma Hayek looked like your great-grandma's lamp. No. The over the top bodice would have worked great with a simple skirt, though.

Mar 5, 18 8:47 pm  · 
 · 

Rita Moreno goes vintage with Oscar dress she wore to the Academy Awards in 1962

Moreno’s decision to wear the same dress was revealed during the Oscar rehearsals in Hollywood on Saturday by her daughter, Fernanda Gordon, as she watched her mother on stage. “She bought the fabric herself and had an architect make it,” said Gordon of the sleeveless, halter-neck gown with a billowing gold-patterned skirt, which her mother paired with black opera gloves when she accepted her gold statuette 56 years ago.

Mar 5, 18 9:29 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: