Archinect
anchor

Architectural Fails

Wilma Buttfit

Fail #1.

Fail

Jan 27, 18 12:46 pm
chigurh

shouldn't that have been caught in shop drawings? more of a casework fail than architectural..any cabinet builder should have said something if not in drawings during install.  Maybe the architect had flush pulls and some genius GC or owner added those gems.  Home depot level image there anyways.  

Jan 27, 18 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

doors too

Jan 27, 18 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

I'm pretty sure I've done worse, I just can't think of it.

Jan 28, 18 12:37 am  · 
 · 

Jan 27, 18 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

If I had a coffee, it would be all over the screen. Brilliant jabs Miles and David

Jan 27, 18 4:07 pm  · 
 · 

I want to feature this comment, Miles! Perfect.

Jan 27, 18 10:36 pm  · 
 · 
archinine
Definitely a GC/millworker fail...don't know where that's from but seems plausible an architect may have never been involved.
Jan 27, 18 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Architectural as in the other sense, not as in from an architect. Didn't realize it would be seen that way. I just thought it was funny.

Jan 27, 18 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
archinine
Yes it is definitely comical. I do hate to think an actual architect signed off on that is all I meant.

An apartment I once lived in had a light switch on the outside of the bathroom it controlled. Having to yell at my roommate from the throne was one of the more unpleasant architectural fails I've witnessed.
My landlord who was also a GC was quite proud of his building...
Jan 27, 18 9:48 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

YO, I was just in a hotel that had light switches on the outside of the bathroom. My damn kids kept turning off the lights while I was showering...lol

Jan 28, 18 11:00 am  · 
 · 

I've seen a similar cabinet corner fail but it was worse: it was the oven door that wouldn't open. Designed by an interior decorator, not an architect. I was friends with the contractor who had to fix it, that's how I saw it.

Jan 27, 18 10:38 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

That fake stone plastic laminated chipboard countertop is the real architectural fail.

Jan 28, 18 5:39 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Architects are not infallible. In one of my previous careers, as a cabinetmaker, I regularly had to patiently explain to architects that their super-clean designs would not work without fillers at the inside corners. 

Jan 29, 18 9:17 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I have explained that to an architect too. They responded no, no filler strips. This was a drawer right up against an existing wall that has a door with trim. I said the drawer will not clear the door trim, we need a filler strip. They told me not to worry about it (leave it to the cabinet maker I guess?)

Jan 29, 18 10:04 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Yep, then the cabinetmaker gets to deal with the livid homeowner or GC while the architect hides. When there are approved shop drawings it helps but not always. I occasionally do shop drawings for my brother, a cabinetmaker who works with fancy architects on Nantucket, and even on $20M homes they often don't do signed shop drawings, and they want stupid things like 5' bookshelves 3/4" thick, with no center support.

Jan 29, 18 10:11 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

Did you take that picture? I can't believe someone would live with that inconvenience for too long, did you propose a solution? An obvious one, cut the front of the drawer to clear the handle, and affix the extra piece to the back - duh - filler....

Jan 29, 18 11:08 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I didn't take it no. Found it on the internet while searching for an illustration of that type of error.

Jan 29, 18 11:37 am  · 
 · 

Ramp fail

Shower carefully.

Over and OUT

Peter N

Jan 29, 18 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
archinine
That shower is terrifying!
Jan 29, 18 1:18 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: