Archinect
anchor

RANT - Workplace Environments

Chad Miller

We have a very linar building with a small conference room in the front and a large one in the back (only places they could fit).  Any clients that come to our office typically have to wall through the 'trench' where all our desks are.  Because of that anyone not in an enclosed office isn't allowed to hang things on the walls and must keep their desk uncluttered at all times.  Personally I find this annoying and very restrictive to being creative.  Lucky for me I have a semi private office so my desk is full of stuff at all times. 

Feb 20, 20 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

I used to keep various toys on my desk (there's another story about how that started). One of my toys was Nunzilla. At that firm we did a lot of work for various Catholic orders and had priests, monks, and nuns in the office quite a lot. Most of them found Nunzilla amusing, but there was one particular order of nuns who I had to hide Nunzilla from whenever they were around.

· 
Chad Miller

I had a squishy plastic poop emoji that I gifted to one of the junior partners. We threw it at set of documents and where formally and violently reprimanded by the owner for this. The junior partner is now a full partner and the old owner is out. The poop now proudly sits atop Mr. Partners desk for all to see.

Nunzilla is awesome by the way!  I have a cubebot and a chicken puppet at my desk.  Chicken's formally called Revit Chicken and he gets 'sacrificed' occasionally to please the Revit gods.  

· 

That doesn't change the fact that most architects offices are simply messy.  Drawing roles collecting dust, old models half falling down, stacks of papers, a disorganized library of product samples.  

The point is, when clients come into the office they are judging the capability of the firm by multiple factors, one of which being their own office.  

Feb 20, 20 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

True. However I was always asked by partners to have a bunch of my schematic sketches and models out on my desk when clients came through.

· 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

• ×Search in: