Archinect
anchor

Policy

Bench

The more that I work in this industry, the more interested I am in the effects of urban and housing policy on cities - particularly in metrics of livability and affordability, having moved to a major city center and working on projects at a large international scale.

Anyone have any resources/books to take a deeper dive on this? So far I've gone through Moore's Slow Burn City, Minton's Big Capital, Desmond's Evicted, and am planning to take a stab at Pickety's Capital in the 21st Century as a long-term endeavor.

Dec 19, 17 10:11 am
Bench

I suspect my interest in this is a coping mechanism to avoid thinking about the fact that so many of my generation will likely have zero chance of ever attaining any type of home-ownership level of personal capital.

Merry Christmas!

Dec 19, 17 10:22 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Ben, this is a great topic... one worthy of several pints of Guinness and some good fountain pen sketches on the back of moist coasters.

What example of housing policies are you referring too?

p.s. I'm adding some of those books to my reading list for the next education credit cycle.

Dec 19, 17 10:41 am  · 
 · 
Bench

But is there ever a time when discussions over Guinness is inappropriate?

Dec 20, 17 4:50 am  · 
 · 
Bench

Hmm - for some reason the rest of my response never came through here.

Dec 21, 17 4:41 am  · 
 · 
Bench

Mainly to this point I've been focused on the effects of the UK's Right-to-Buy policy from the Thatcher years. On the surface it sounds like a great idea, but the long-term effects have been wildly detrimental and are one of the biggest reasons for London housing crisis. Milton and Moore do a really good job explaining the failings of this type of policy. With Toronto and Vancouver apparently going in a similar direction I've been interested if there is going to be a similar situation over the coming decade or so.

Dec 21, 17 4:43 am  · 
 · 
archinine
Check out 'public housing that worked' by bloom
Dec 19, 17 10:44 am  · 
 · 
archinine
Also if you haven't already Jane Jacobs' 'life and death...' is a great overview though a little more general.
Dec 19, 17 10:48 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

if you understand pickety you are much smarter than me!

also, home ownership is overrated unless you very rarely move.  transaction costs are ridiculous

Dec 19, 17 11:10 am  · 
 · 
FlameAura

You should check out Real Estates: Life without debt by Jack Self, very interesting read!

Dec 19, 17 11:18 am  · 
 · 
Bench

Excellent - read the synopsis and ordered it immediately.

Dec 20, 17 5:01 am  · 
 · 

I'd suggest:

Mark Fried 

Ta Nehisi Coates 

Don Mitchell

Walter D Greason

Toni Griffin

Dec 19, 17 11:46 am  · 
 · 
Bench

MM - as always, great suggestions. I've read Ta-Nehisi Coates previously but the others are new to me. I'm especially intrigued by Toni Griffin, as the angle I want to explore is the role of the architect in shaping the urban environment as a place for the many, or the few, by way of housing attainability. Has she written anything as well?

Dec 19, 17 12:47 pm  · 
 · 

I'd say mostly essays, but she done a lot of applied research.

Dec 19, 17 1:46 pm  · 
 · 

Bench,one more for you. I haven't had the opportunity to look at it thoroughly, but the bits and snippets I have seen look interesting.

Jan 1, 18 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

Defensible Space by Oscar Newman.  Old book but on point about the failure of large scale public housing design.

Dec 19, 17 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Form Follows Finance by Carol Willis is terrific on the interplay between capital, policy, and design.  It's a comparative study of the NYC and Chicago skylines, and very fun to read.

Magnetic Los Angeles by Greg Hise does similar work but at the larger scale of neighborhood planning and development.  Denser, but accessible and fascinating.

And From Tenements to the Taylor Homes (ed. Bauman, et al) is a great anthology of essays tracing US federal and urban housing policy and capital flows through case studies of different well-known types (tenements, wartime housing, public housing, suburban houses, garden apartments, etcetera) we assume we already know everything about.  But we don't, and this book fills in a lot of detail.

All of these are historical (my wheelhouse), and excellent reads.

Dec 19, 17 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
I'm not a robot

“high cost of free parking” by Donald Shoup.(very very important book

“Origins of the urban crisis” (great book on what happened to Post war Detroit)

“The color of law” is a decent overview of policies that reinforce racial and economic segregation  

Dolores Hayden has several great books on the history of suburbia.

Dec 19, 17 1:13 pm  · 
 · 

Forgot about the Color of Law...

Dec 19, 17 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

Is anyone aware of any city that has had success in easing the pressure of high housing costs primarily via policy changes?

Dec 21, 17 4:45 am  · 
 · 
Bench

Or otherwise, by any alternative means (policy or not) ?

Dec 21, 17 4:53 am  · 
 · 

Just read that Arlington Va intends to create Housing Conservation Districts, but don’t know of any success stories.

Dec 21, 17 7:31 am  · 
 · 

Just read that Arlington Va intends to create Housing Conservation Districts, but don’t know of any success stories.

Dec 21, 17 7:31 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: